News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Flood Update

Started by Bruincounselor, March 27, 2009, 08:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruincounselor

I've recieved a few inquires so here's what I can say:

My town is surrounded by water. Lots of water. The river has reached record highs. Volunteers have made nearly 3 million sandbags and placed dozens of miles of dike.  Permanent dikes are no higher than 41 1/2 feet and have been supplemented with more on top. If the dikes hold most of us will be relatively OK. A few hundred homes give or take will be inundated. Contrary to what some national media outlets are saying there have been no breaches. A few yahoos (including a CNN photographer - A$$hole) have been arrested for walking on the dikes, this is hazardous to the walker as they may slip and find themselves in 33 degree water and no way out. It's also not good for the dike.

Freezing conditions (-4 F windchill this morning) have made additional sandbagging difficult because the bags freeze solid and don't keep the water out.

Current river level:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograp ... ,1,1,1,1,1

Flood Cam:
http://www.cityoffargo.com/Flood09/Floo ... ebCam.aspx

One issue that arises is that the Red River drains North. The spring thaw preceeds break up of the river so things get backed up. It appears that Fargo is the lucky recipient this year.

My home is in one of the highest neighborhoods in town. As long as the electricy and gas are on I should be fine.
Bruin\'

Stretch

Oof.  A record flood during the throes of winter.

haulin' daze

Best of luck to you and all your neighbors.

flux

Saw this happening on the news tonight, good luck to all.  Makes me want to join the National Guard.

JetdocX

Quote from: "flux"Saw this happening on the news tonight, good luck to all.  Makes me want to join the National Guard.

Careful, you'll end up in Iraq wondering "Where's the flood?" :lol:
From parts unknown.

flux

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "flux"Saw this happening on the news tonight, good luck to all.  Makes me want to join the National Guard.

Careful, you'll end up in Iraq wondering "Where's the flood?" :lol:

Didn't say I AM going to join.   8)   Nah, military life, while I think about it often to be honest, is not for me.  

BTW- I wouldn't click on the 'floodcam' that was posted... that thing must be super busy right now... it locked up my computer.  Took a few minutes to close Firefox and start it back up after I clicked the link.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "flux"BTW- I wouldn't click on the 'floodcam' that was posted... that thing must be super busy right now... it locked up my computer.  Took a few minutes to close Firefox and start it back up after I clicked the link.

Try this one:
http://www.valleyearlywarn.com/feeds/ca ... SKYCAM.JPG

It's getting dark so not much to see now..
Bruin\'

Stretch

It's not all feel-good stuff, handing out bottled water and MRE's to Americans in need.  A buddy of mine is leaving for Asscrackistan on Monday... for 15 months.

HappyMan

I had no idea you lived so close Bruin.  We need to catch up sometime.  A friend of our spent days bagging only to have to evacuate.  I've clients in Fargo and G. Forks and my salesman was trapped up there for a couple of days this week.  Been watching things closely and thinking of all of you.  Hope you fair well and I'm sorry for the bum luck of it all.  Hope to catch up with you sometime.

Happy
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

TigerTrax

Bruin...
We all are praying for your towns and their people.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'