News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork oil level setting gauge

Started by Bixxer Bob, April 02, 2009, 10:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

I knocked this up when doing my forks recently:

It's mainly made up from a bit of brass tube, but any rigid tube will do - I got mine from a model aircraft shop - with a  collar which can be locked to the tube with a grubscrew.  You set the oil gap by sliding the collar up the tube to the right place and locking it.  You overfill the forks slightly, put the gauge in place MAKE SURE THE FORK TUBE IS VERTICAL and then suck the surplus oil out.  Job done!!!

I improvised the suction by using a plastic bottle with a sealing screwtop lid.  I drilled it and fitted a brass nipple that I had left over from my Scottoiler but - again -you can pick them up at any model shop.  Connect the bottle to the gauge, squeeze and as it reforms itself it gives enough suction to pull the excess oil.

I have the luxury of having a lathe in my garage so making the collar was easy, but anything bigger than the fork tube diameter that you can lock onto the tube will do.  Go ahead,  improvise - it's fun!!  I'd stay clear of wood though,  you don't want bits in your oil  :shock:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

Brilliant!  Saved to 'Wisdom'.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Stretch"Brilliant!  Saved to 'Wisdom'.

Aww shucks...  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

outrunner

I made a similar setup a while ago for my Sprint and it is still in the shed ready to be used again and again. For the suction bit I used a large plastic syringe scrounged from a farmer, used for dosing sheep............or something.  :D

PS. also handy for sucking out engine oil should you ever overfill it when doing an oil change.  :wink:

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

JetdocX

So...just curious..do you spit or swallow? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
From parts unknown.

blacktiger

Is it a case of great minds think alike? Or did you copy this http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/pr ... ls/Bike-It ?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Bixxer Bob

Twenty quid???  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Simple minds more like, and mine cost me about 75p.  

I'd no idea how others do theirs, but I was determined to do better than a measured dip.  Previously I'd used a rule in the oil to measure the height, and was sucking the excess out, when I worked out that with a measured tube, you could kill two birds with one stone.  When I visit DIY stores I'm still on the lookout for something simple to do the sucking - or maybe I could roll a druggie for his syringe??? :roll: