News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05 Tiger I'm looking at

Started by framebinder, April 12, 2009, 02:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

framebinder

There is a 05 Tiger 955 with 4000 on the clock and they are asking 7200 for it.
Veeeery tempting! Any thoughts on what to watch out for or to consider?
Thanks in advance.
Framebinder
framebinder

John Stenhouse

Check it's the colour you like, get on it and ride!
Seriously that's no mileage, so should be fine. Any history? What has been replaced?
An 05 with very little miles probably has a new battery, chain and sprockets should be fine, as would the brakes. Can't think of anything that would be worn at that mileage. Rear Tyre maybe?

Ride it, you'll like it, buy it, end of.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

MikeBenzon

Quote from: "framebinder"There is a 05 Tiger 955 with 4000 on the clock and they are asking 7200 for it.
Veeeery tempting! Any thoughts on what to watch out for or to consider?
Thanks in advance.
Framebinder

I think the 05 or 06 models are the best models. In 05 Triumph dod a few modifications that I liked, such as different fork springs and valving and a new swing arm and the cast alloy wheels so that you can run tubeless tires. There are probably those who might think those changes were a step backwards for a dirt oriented street bike, but either way it is still one of the best all around bikes ever made.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

Cos

$7200?

As much as i love my 05...it's too much.

framebinder

Yes, of course, the color!  It is that great orange color.  I haven't been able to closely inspect it yet.  It's at a dealers and is behind many other bikes that are stored.  It'll be available soon for more gandering and I hope to see all the service records too.  I'll be in touch.
framebinder

The Kurgan

Quote from: "Cos"$7200?

As much as i love my 05...it's too much.

For someone who wants a Pre-2007 Tiger, and want's to buy almost new, I think its worth it. The 2005-2006 Girlies are exceptional streetbikes, very well built, still can do some rough stuff, and they were still assembled in England! 4000 miles is nothing. There`s no other competition with the V-Strom or GS series.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

TigerTrax

Frankly....
an '05 with 4000 miles.....
You've got a $10,000 bike that has yet to be broke in.

As far as the asking price, negotiate and see where you land.
As a Tiger owner I would never tell another he is asking too much..... I want to preserve my value also.  

I have an '06. It is a great bike... the '05 is so similar. If you want something with long legs, take you coast to coast; Down forest roads;
and a great urban bike..... you'll love it!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

EvilBetty

Owner of a Lucifer Orange 05 Girly myself... love this bike.

The only bad thing I can say about it deals with the color...  The used body parts are RARE here in the US.

Green, Silver, Black, and even Blue come up all the time... but the Orange has been very elusive.  I've been hunting for a fairing and pannier lid since November...
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

blacktiger

Quote from: "EvilBetty"but the Orange has been very elusive.  I've been hunting for a fairing and pannier lid since November...

Simple answer to this is to buy the cheapest one you can get and take it to a body shop with the Triumph paint code and get it sprayed up.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Stretch

Good luck finding that paint code.  I struck out here.

EvilBetty

Been there... done that :)

The Triumph-ED paint (Lucifer Orange) is a 3-STAGE paint made by Standox (owned by DuPont).

The Paint consists of a $63/pint base coat, and a $84.68/pint pearl coat, then a clear coat.

I was going to get the prep work, 2K primer, and clear coat for free, but the guy that was going to paint it was not experienced with 3-STAGE paint.  So he called in a favor to a guy at a body shop that would take the prepped and primed parts, then base, pearl, seal, and clear the parts if I bought the paint.

Turned out it was going to cost $450 just to paint the fairing and one side pannier lid.

Apparently a lot of paint is needed to spray all the test strips to match the pearl to the rest of the bike.  So it was going to take a quart of each to match and paint... that's $300 just for the cost of paint alone.

At the time it did not make since to spend $450 to paint repaired / damaged parts, when I could buy all new for $600, and maybe get lucky buying clean used parts on eBay.  Unfortunately that has not happened.  So now I need to find out how much it would cost to paint 3 body panels and see if the cost has become justifiable.

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Stretch"Good luck finding that paint code.  I struck out here.

Paint Code lookup
http://www.sxcolor.info/scripts/colorin ... licensed=1

If you can find a Standox dealer, they can mix the base and pearl for you.
http://dupont.geoserve.com/forms/dpcstandox.htm

Stretch

I have the paint codes, it's the mixing formulae that can't be found.

Your link showed a dealer about 40 miles from me.  We'll see how that works out.  Thanks.

Funny how the company is owned by DuPont, but my local DuPont dealer can't access any of their information.

EvilBetty

That first link takes you to the mixing for each stage, and whichever quantity you choose.

Motorcycle - Triumph - ED "Anywhere"

I faxed these over to the paint shop to get a per pint quote.

twentyfiftyoil

Just had mine 4 weeks 2005 Blue, done 21K, needs a little tidying but im absolutly delighted. Go get it............. :lol:
05 Blue Tiger, a couple o T140,s