News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

05 Tiger I'm looking at

Started by framebinder, April 12, 2009, 02:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockleyBoy

I have an 05 in Lucifer Orange and love it. The price dosen't sound too bad for a well cared for bike with only 4k on it but i am sure you can knock them down in these recesssion hit times. If the bike is at the back of a lot of other bikes the dealer may have had it quite a while and may be glad to shift it.

Good luck.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Cos

Alright, so maybe i'm just bitter because i couldn't sell mine when i thought i had to.  :lol:

Realistically, there's always wiggle room when you're talking to a dealer, especially at times like these (trust me, i know this well). You can probably get it for a better price.

It all depends if you're one of the "well, how much can i sell it for later" types. I bought my 05 new...i love that bike. Hell, i like it so much that i forked over extra money to ship it halfway across the world. They're solid, as dependable as any other, and that triple cylinder freakin rocks.

Get it, you won't be sorry.

coachgeo

The way it sounds with all the paint you would have to buy to do test matching with..... the same amount of paint would paint the whole bike.

sooooo maybe.... paint the whole bike?  It will definately match then :D

But... this paint talk is stealing this guys thread.  Maybe start a new one and have moderator move the paint post from this thread to it?
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

framebinder

I managed to take a couple of hours off from work today :D, it helps when you're the boss, and gave the Tiger a decent wringing out.  Keep in mind that my point of reference is a 05 T100.  Holy cow!  This sucker gets up and left! It also stops way harder.  There's good go in any gear and it'll rev forever if needed.  The tank is an ugly shape, which my wife generously confirmed, (she also bashed the color, the flyscreen, and how tall it is for her to get on (she's 5 ft.), how much louder it is and a few other choice words.  She doesn't mince words boys.  But she kept looking and later when I got home she was interested enough to ask questions.  But enough about her, back to the bike.
I don't believe it's been dropped, but just forward of my left knee and up a bit, there are scuff white marks, random shape, which might be from trees or perhaps a tie down. Maybe it could be buffed out.  There are also random scratches on the fork near the axle. That big tanks feels wide between my knees, but too much.  The handling and the way it goes over bumps is great. Other than that everything is in nice condition.  I let the dealer know that I found NADA and Kelly retails this bike for 6,500 and he acknowledged that truth.  So, I says, you agree that that is what it's worth?  Nooo, we've got too much in it to sell for that.  I'm thinking to make the 65 offer and let him stew on it.  Here is a time when the poor economy is in my favor.
After returning the Tiger, I'm headed home on the Bonne on a road I'm not as familiar with, I come around a corner, and there is a cop with the radar.
Sh*#  He swings around and lights up the blues.  I pull over.  He smiles as he approaches and says the usual, do you know how fast you were going? 40?  Not even close. 60 in a 35.  Could mean $180.  But, he's grinning and tells me he's only gonna give me a written warning.  Then he says, I'm not going to even ask you for the registration cause I know it's under the seat and hard to get at.  I says, nope, not really, it's here in the breast pocket, but the wallet, now that's another story.  See, I've got that in my jeans pocket, under my riding pants, and digging through the layers is difficult.  He grins again and trudges over to his cruiser while I lean on the Bonne.  I'm grinning knowing what kind of hooliganism I was up to on the Tiger and how glad I didn't meet up with him then!  When he returns, he says, I'd be out ridding too on such a nice day.  Thank my lucky stars.
We'll see what the dealer says and I'll let you know.
framebinder

framebinder

I meant to say the tank is not too wide between my knees.  Actually, the whole bike feels comfortable.  I can still comfortably reach the ground at a stop, being 6" helps.  I didn't mind the peg hight, which I've heard others modify to lower it.  The clutch pull is firmer that my Bonne, but not too bad.  Can that be adjusted?  The screen does a nice job of getting the wind off my chest without causing buffeting on the head.  I like the bike fellas.  Even the color.  Sounds like a good thing.
framebinder

The Kurgan

Good luck!

$6500 would be a steal for a nearly new Girly. That's was a $12000 USD motorcycle when new!

I forgot to ask if the Tiger came with the factory luggage?

IMHO, the Tiger looks heaps better with the colour matched factory luggage!

The tank is big, but it matches the lines of the Tiger very well, and especially with the rounded factory luggage.

I was admiring my Tiger yesterday evening... both with and without the luggage.

With the luggage (and my tank bag, GPS, etc.)... it looked like a proper sport-touring machine -- emphasis on touring.

Without the luggage (but with my tank bag, GPS, etc.)... it looked like a kick-ass sport-adventure-tourer -- emphasis on sport-adventure.

When I started her up and revved it with that sweet sounding TOR can... I didn't care what it looked like and was eager to go for a ride!

Oh, and BRG green is the fastest colour, but orange is nice to!  (thank god its not roulette green) 8)  :P

Cheers.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

EvilBetty

The color grows on you quick.  My Girlfriend hated it when she first saw it, but now almost smacked me when I considered putting black panniers on it...

I dropped mine in the gravel once.  If it had landed on something more solid the only evidence would have been a scraped up pannier, crash bar, bar slider, knuckle guard, and the area on the fork near the axle.  So the marks your seeing could be from it being dropped.

But a dropped tiger is par for the course.  These are dual-sport bikes.  As long as the expensive tank and other plastics are not scratched up or damaged it's a reasonably cheap repair.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

iansoady

The scuffs are probably from a low speed drop which has happened to many (most?) of us due to the height & the fact the weight is carried high.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

The Kurgan

Quote from: "EvilBetty"...a dropped tiger is par for the course.  These are dual-sport bikes.

I beg to differ my friend. lol

Mine is still pristine and has never been dropped. That might be partly to do with the fact that I'm used to top heavy bikes ('03 Suzuki SV1000, '08 KLR650) and the fact that I use my '05 Tiger for its intended purpose:

"grand touring" -- all-ROADS

btw... she ain't no dual sport, especially the cast-wheel, sportier geometry, stiffer suspension'ed Girlies.

Cheers.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

oxnsox

I have similar marks on mine from a tumble....  when a gust of wind caught me from the wrong side as I sat in the driveway waiting for traffic....  and when you think the neighbours are all watching you'd be amazed how quickly you can pick it up and ride away with some dignity
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HappyMan

Quote from: "oxnsox"I have similar marks on mine from a tumble....  when a gust of wind caught me from the wrong side as I sat in the driveway waiting for traffic....  and when you think the neighbours are all watching you'd be amazed how quickly you can pick it up and ride away with some dignity

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser
LOL!  I've been there and done that!  :mrgreen:  You speak the truth.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

framebinder

Well, the man wasn't willing to deal on the 05.  I decided that $7200 was too much and though he acknowledged 65 large was legit, he wouldn't go there.
But, it appears that patience pays.  An 06, silver Girly, with no scuffs, 11K on the clock, heated grips, new tires, 12K service, side bags, came along for 5,900.  She is now on the way to my garage!  Am I lucky or what?
framebinder

HappyMan

I love my 06 Girly!  Congratulations.  :wav

Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Tiger04

I have over 50,000 miles on my 04. Does it come with all the panniers ? If so then I'd say that the price as not that bad. I now have my tiger painted orange and I really like it better than the original black.
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"

zombie

I just bought this thing and rode it home tuesday morning
It had 1920 miles on it when I picked it up and I put 900 miles on it

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454853

cheap as chips as the  guy just wanted rid of it.
landed north carolina 10.30 hopped on bike 11.00 and took off and made it to manhattan for 8.00 pm and dinner with a friend and then downtown to bleeker street for some blues bands.
Avoided a huge ticket in DC for splitting lanes with too much gusto  :lol:
made it home wednesday.
Bike runs  like a new bike as it should