News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant level - up and down normal?

Started by skoron, April 29, 2009, 03:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skoron

Need your help.  Read the Coolant puking thread and not sure same.

My 06 Tiger spit some coolant out front (on fender) and back overflow two weeks ago when I stopped but was not overly hot.  Filled and checked level to the min mark.  Has not done it again, but I see that reservoir level goes up and down depending on temp gauge.  If temp gauge is less then 1/3, coolant stays below max.  If temp gauge approaches halfway mark, the coolant fills the reservoir (no air space).  But, has not puked any out again.  Cooling fans working ok.  Coolant replaced last fall.

Is the level going up and down that much normal?  I suspect the rad cap but wanted input.

Thanks, Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

flux

Even with my bike puking coolant it has never filled all the way up in the reservoir.

Stretch

Mine goes from the Min level to the Max level, and back and forth, depending on the temperature.  That's why the cap, overflow tank, tubes, and elbows need to be maintained... coolant regularly flows in and out of the overflow (expansion) tank, and any leaks in these areas will result in a loss of coolant (and subsequent overheating).

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"...overflow tank...need to be maintained... coolant regularly flows in and out of the overflow (expansion) tank, and any leaks in these areas will result in a loss of coolant (and subsequent overheating).

Stretch... I was playing around with my issue yesterday and I do not think the rubber seal for the cap to the expansion tank is sealing all the way.  The expansion tank hole does not seem to be perfectly round as the male end of the cap is.  You reckon THIS could cause some puking?  Does it need to be 100% sealed to be effective?   :oops:

Stretch

That really shouldn't have anything to do with it.  The expansion tank shouldn't be pressurized, and the coolant level ought not rise to the point of the rubber plug anyhow.

Is your system overfilled, so that it rises that high in the expansion tank?  

Has the system been properly bled... engine running with radiator cap and bleed screw off, allowing air pockets to work out, and topping up the coolant level there as required?

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"That really shouldn't have anything to do with it.  The expansion tank shouldn't be pressurized, and the coolant level ought not rise to the point of the rubber plug anyhow.

Is your system overfilled, so that it rises that high in the expansion tank?  

Has the system been properly bled... engine running with radiator cap and bleed screw off, allowing air pockets to work out, and topping up the coolant level there as required?

Ok thanks, I am going to bleed the system next.

Back to the original poster...  8)

Stretch

Cool.  When bleeding the cooling system, you're naturally going to have to figure a way to run the bike with the tank off.  On my ''05, I can improvise a short table on the right side of the bike, using my Jesse boxes on the ground with a scrap of plywood laying on top, and set the tank down on top of the improvised table.

By cutting the zip tie holding the fuel line, I can get enough slack in the fuel hose to run the fuel line and fuel pump wires to the tank, allowing the fuel system to work with the tank sitting on the table.

Remove the radiator cap and bleed screw while the engine is cold, and then start the engine and let it warm up.  Once it's warm, you should be able to look through the radiator cap opening and see coolant flowing through the thermostat housing.  Allow the engine to run a few minutes to flush all the air pockets out of the cooling system.  As air is worked out of the system, the coolant level will get lower, so keep the coolant level topped up.

When you're done, put the radiator cap back on, and make sure the coolant comes all the way up to the top of the bleed screw hole before you seal up the system and re-install the bleed screw.

Make sure your expansion tank has coolant in it also.  If not, the system will suck air back into it as it cools down.  Ideally, the expansion tank level should be at Max with the engine hot, and will drop to Min or a little below when the engine is stone cold.

skoron

When I bought the bike last year, the 6000 mile service was part of the deal.  They changed the coolant so not sure if air pockets are the culpret.  What concerns me is seeing the tank fill up to the very top during a ride and wondering if I'm going to have coolant on the back tire.  

I understand the coolant in and out, the fear is the reservoir filling up to the top.  Too bad the rad cap is tucked way under the tank.

Guess I'll have to decide if I do it myself or let the dealer handle under warranty.

Thanks guys.

Stretch

It very well could be a faulty radiator cap.  Girly caps are known to have the main spring weaken over time, allowing pressure to escape when it ought not.

If the bike is under warranty, tell them of this suspicion, and have them pressure-test the cap.  If they won't do that, they can replace it for less than ten dollars from an auto-parts store...

A quote from the Cross-Refence guide:

QuoteRadiator Cap

The Triumph caps are prone to weakening before their time, allowing vapor and coolant to escape, resulting in an overly hot Tiger.

The Triumph caps are $19 at a dealer, IF they have one in stock.

ArizonaKid discovered that a Stant 10227 radiator cap, a replacement for 80's Toyotas (as well as 1988-91 Honda Civic), is a perfect fit for a Tiger, available at auto parts stores 'round the world.  About $7.

Edit for a new development:

Quote from: "walker"The stant 10227 (replaced by the newer 11227) is only a 13 psi cap. A good replacement might be the 11233 - it's 16 PSI, which is right at the 1.1 BAR that triumph specifies.

Same dimensions, just a different main spring.

To add...

Quote from: "flux"FYI:
This cap fits these cars:

ACURA   (1989 - 2005)
CHEVROLET   (1985 - 1988)
CHRYSLER   (1995 - 1999)
DODGE   (1995 - 1999)
EAGLE   (1995 - 1998)
FORD   (1989 - 2009)
GEO   (1989 - 1993)
HONDA   (1990 - 2007)
HYUNDAI   (1998 - 2008)
INFINITI   (1997 - 2007)
ISUZU   (1985 - 2004)
KIA   (2001 - 2008)
LEXUS   (1992 - 2007)
MAZDA   (1993 - 2008)
MERCURY   (1989 - 2001)
MITSUBISHI   (1995 - 2008)
NISSAN   (1990 - 2008)
SUBARU   (1999 - 2008)
SUZUKI   (2004 - 2008)
TOYOTA   (1994 - 2008)

twentyfiftyoil

Had same problem with my 05, after reading threads I changed my rad cap along with the coolant and problem solved. Note !The book states 2.8 Ltrs but only managed to get 2 ltrs in so some must get trapped in the system. But now running perfect. Only top up the expansion bottle to minimum.  Another thing the Rad cap must be to 1.1 bar pressure the only Auto part one I could find was only 0.9  Triumph part was £12.
05 Blue Tiger, a couple o T140,s

Stretch

Quote from: "twentyfiftyoil"The book states 2.8 Ltrs but only managed to get 2 ltrs in so some must get trapped in the system.

Yes, it's not possible to get all the old coolant out of the engine with the engine in the bike.  Flushing the system out with a garden hose (with a radiator hose disconnected) will remove all the old coolant, but a 'drain and refill' by itself will not.

skoron

Got a call back from the dealer and they think it's the rad cap.  Of course they don't have it in stock.

Made an appointment anyway since the PA state inspection has to be done too.  However, I'll check out the cross reference rad cap locally and maybe do it this weekend.

You know, if I don't change it, will I have my "Steamer" again?  Bad Joke.

Thanks to all, Skoron

flux

Quote from: "flux"Even with my bike puking coolant it has never filled all the way up in the reservoir.

I take this comment back.  My coolant boiled and bubbled today.  I really need to go ahead and make the time to properly flush the system.  I sure hope that works, I just replaced the rad cap with the 16psi Auto Cap.

skoron

Well, to close this subject.

Dealer installed the new rad cap (as well as a couple of other items like the state inspection).  Been riding for a few days and coolant level is back to normal.  However, they say there was nothing wrong with coolant reservoir and do not know why it spit to the front.  But, they also did not top up the coolant to the min level and I suspect they never took the effort to really look at tank.  I guess I will have to make the time to inspect as I think the flange is broke like Flux pointed out.

Skoron

flux

Hey Skoron, when I bled my system yesterday I broke another one of those stupid plastic elbows and replaced it with the 3/8" brass one from Home Depot in the plumbing department.  Worked fine as far as I can tell.