News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Roadies Tech experience.

Started by german, June 02, 2009, 06:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

german

Hola,

I´m thinking in the 1050.

Some bad technical issue with the Roadies (T 1050)?

Thanks for your comments
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

ccherry

Just bought one a month ago.  Just over 600 miles and love it.  Check out tiger1050.com for dedicated site, not many roadies post here - not sure why.......good site and good folks
carter

droopydawg

My '07 Scortched Yellow will hit 17,500 miles tomorrow afternoon on my ride home from work.  Replaced alternator at 4,000, under warranty.  Mine was the first that I have heard of having to replace that.
No other issues thus far. Mine does not even burn oil.

droopydawg

.....and guess what.  Having stator replaced AGAIN with just under 18000 miles. Bike it sitting at dealer in Nashville, and I am in Atlanta. Luckily, covered under extended warranty.  Triumph does not know why it is happening, and I am only running an chain oiler as an accessory, so I cant be overtaxing the system. I was riding from Atlanta to Chicago.  Only made it as far as my first gas stop.
I might add pedals, just to make it more dependable and not leave me stranded.

Stretch

Damn, the 955 alternator saga continues into the 1050's.  Sorry to hear it.

Get off your collective asses, Triumph, and build a charging system worthy of a good touring bike.  Sheesh!   :roll:

droopydawg

What is wrong with the 955 aternators/stators?  Triumph thinks mine is overheating, and is a very rare occurance.

oxnsox

Quote from: "droopydawg"What is wrong with the 955 aternators/stators?  Triumph thinks mine is overheating, and is a very rare occurance.
It's fair to say there are issues with the charging system on the 955. There are at least 2 threads running in these forums which you can usually find just by looking at recent posts.

However, it is also fair to say that not everyone has a problem. What we can be sure about is that those that do speak up, and that helps the rest of us learn.

The charging system is simple and should be ruggedly robust as its a pretty basic solution that is used on most makes (not necessarily models) due to its cost and simplicity.
However the weak point, I believe, is the rectifier regulator. It appears to be a simple low cost scr type, based upon the photos I've seen on this site. Its weakness being that it appears to regulate only 1 of the stator coils which causes them to overheat.  The rec/reg block is also mounted in a stagnant air space and it too overheats. There is also some thought that oil which finds its way into the stator windings is partly responsible. This is also a valid point, but would depend upon the nature of any oil additives, because oil is also used to cool industrial transformers.

There are aftermarket stator coils which seem better constructed, and these are widely refitted.

My observations of peoples problems, along with my electrical experience, leads me believe the main issue is the low quality/low cost rectifier/regulator..... and the heat buildup and dissipation both in the stator coils and the rec/reg.
Relocating the rec/reg, in an airflow or replacing it with a more sophisticated MOSFET type are both good options. (Stretch has a good post on this as on most things).

So after a long post to a simple question about overheating, here's my answer to that:
Heat is definitely a factor, but the postings here will show failures in all climates. Personally I've run my Girly in Spain in more than one summer without problems.... now shes living in cooler climes.

Your repeat problem is most likely due to the initial problem not being correctly sorted. If the rec/reg fails then the stator will also fail (cause and effect) and vice versa. Often people and spanner hands just replace one of these items, which initially appears to fix the fault but only leads to further failure.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

droopydawg

oxn- thanks.  Printing this out and sending to the service guys in Nashville.  Otherwise, as this rate, I will need two more stators before my extended warranty expires.

aeronca

Quote from: StretchDamn, the 955 alternator saga continues into the 1050's.  Sorry to hear it.

Get off your collective asses, Triumph, and build a charging system worthy of a good touring bike.  Sheesh!   :roll:

they did - back in 95' :lol:    all aside though, i sure love the new 1050's and hope this problem will get the attention of triumph. the new tiger is on my short list, and would hate to see it being plauged with charging sys. problems.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

oxnsox

Quote from: "droopydawg"oxn- thanks.  Printing this out and sending to the service guys in Nashville.  Otherwise, as this rate, I will need two more stators before my extended warranty expires.
Can't be such a bad thing... they get 2 more shots to get it right at no cost to you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

droopydawg

I just hope that next time it happens, I wont have to pay $250 for a 80 mile tow to the nearest qualified dealer.

rxcoop

just back from 1200 mile trip to mid-ohio to see the races and the relatives.  put me over the 25k mark.  have had no problems whatsoever....maybe its my dealer (they did notice the coolant was crappy at about 8k and replaced it) or the luck of the polish !!??!!  this is my 4th hinckley triumph and they have all been bulletproof.
someone mentioned 2 threads on charging system problems.....on how many motorcycles sold ??  sounds like "good enough for govt specs."  i know its tough when its your motorcycle but 1 needs to be realistic in their assessment of frequency...
07 Tiger1050 w/abs (ok, seeing a pattern..a black one)
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>