News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedometer Sensor Maintenance

Started by Stretch, June 04, 2009, 11:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

There's nothing to it, really... just keeping her clean and lubed.  I have heard of a few speedo sensor failures, but when the thing was cleaned and reassembled (properly), it started working again.  If you perform these easy steps whenever the front wheel is off (tire changes, bearing checks, etc.), your speedo sender should be a lifetime item.

Once the wheel is off, disassemble the sensor...

Note that I've already cleaned these parts prior to taking photos.  

Remove the steel sleeve.  Note that it is installed from the inboard side...

Remove the magnet.  Be gentle, the magnet is more fragile than the steel sleeve.  Don't pry it out, or use pliers to grasp it.  Try tapping the sensor against your palm to shake the magnet loose.

Clean these two parts with solvent and a rag.  Also, use solvent and Q-Tips to clean down inside the sensor body, especially down deep where the magnet sits.  When you're finished, there shouldn't be any dirt, grit, or old grease anywhere on the sensor or any of its parts.

Now, lubricate each of the parts with a thin coating of high-quality grease.  I like Mystic JT-6... a high-temperature lithium grease that doesn't dry out over time.  I buy it at a heavy truck parts store.

This is also a good time to check your wheel bearings.  Stick a finger inside the bearing and turn it, feeling for freedom of movement and smooth rotation.  Being sealed bearings, they're going to have some drag on them, but they should feel silky-smooth when turning.  If you feel any crunchy spots, go ahead and replace the bearings before they disintegrate on you.  The front wheel bearing number for all triple Tigers is 6303 DU (or 6303-2RS, same-same)

Reassemble the sensor.  Note that the end of the magnet with the two cut-outs goes against the wheel

Note that the small prong on the fork leg fits into a space on the sensor, to keep the sensor from spinning with the wheel (which would damage the wiring...

When re-fitting the wheel, make sure that the two cut-outs in the end of the magnet engage the two tabs on the speedometer drive in the wheel hub.  This photo was taken before I cleaned it up.

While the front wheel is still off the ground, make sure everything works before you re-install and tighten the calipers, etc.  Turn the ignition on and spin the front wheel as if the bike were rolling forward.  The speedometer should register a couple MPH... the needle should at least rise up off the peg.  If not, you may have to go back and make sure the speedo sensor is engaging the drive tabs in the wheel hub.

SERadtke

Nice write-up. Thanks Stretch!
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

The Kurgan

Thanks for the illustrated 'how to' Stretch. That's something I'm going to do this month.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

ridin gaijin

This was so cool--tonight's project. My advice would be to pay attention to that prong, the one that the slot (though there are two) on the sensor housing fits. I had a hell of a time reassembling everything. After cleaning and lubing the sleeve thing on the right side of the wheel, it kept falling out; keeping it in place and also keeping the speedometer sensor assembly in place while wrestling the wheel back in line took some doing for me. If possible, get a friend, acquaintance--hell, even some random hobo--to keep the ass end of the bike firmly on the ground while you finagle all that into place.

Hopefully the speedometer works now. I didn't test it tonight because if it doesn't work, something else besides the sensor is wrong, and I'm not prepared to do anything further ATM. I'll find out one way or t'other once I get the whole mess back on the road.

On the pro side, at least I got lithium grease on my rotors, so they're plenty well lubed now. I rock!
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Stretch

A centerstand makes it much easier.

ridin gaijin

Yep--have. Would've been much worse without one I reckon--!  :D
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Brit/Man

Thank`s for the tip keep it up :D
So you all know why my english is so bad, I faild my 11+(WGAF) but I'am doing OK in life :-)

I`am to old too die young.

Don`t dream of the past,
Don`t dwell on the future,
Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift.

Danny955i

Not to thread-jack... but I have an issue:

I dropped my bike in a 5mph tip a couple weeks ago. Got it back up and running a few days ago and took it for a long ride today.

After about 50 miles the speedo stopped working. The drop WAS on the left-hand side, and the axle did get knocked...

Why, all of the sudden did the speedo stop working after riding, and not just quit out all at once after the drop?

Could the magnet have cracked that easily or maybe something disconnected up in the dashboard?

Does this sound like a likely cause?

Bixxer Bob

Maybe you crimped the cable when you dropped it?  Only way to be sure is strip and inspect - assuming the problem is at that end and not the speedo of course.  Either way, you have to start somewhere....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Danny955i

Tomorrow morning, first thing, I'm ripping apart the dashboard and the front wheel to diagnose and correct.

We'll see what's really going on... the cable was not touched in the tip...

I'm just wondering if a shock through the axle ruptured something in the speedo drive, or possibly disconnected a cable from the back of the speedo somewhere.

Time will tell.

Danny955i

Ok... this worked!!!!

The magnet is actually cracked in my bike... but it's still holding it's shape... turns out there was a TON of crud on the back-side which caused it to seize in the housing.

Works 100% now....

HOWEVER:

That sleeved bushing that goes in the center does NOT MOUNT with the flange on the IN-BOARD SIDE!!!! It mounts on the OUT-BOARD side...

It did not fit when I tried to put it back and after checking the parts manifest pictures on BikeBandit, it goes in from the OUTSIDE.

Please take note.

Dan

Bixxer Bob

Glad you got a result anyway :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

SquatchyJ

My speedo stopped working last wednesday on the highway and it only registers a few mph on the gauge. I have taken it off road before and dropped it and that day it fell from a stand still when I was parking it. I saw this thread and decided to report on it. I took my wheel off to change the tire anyway and found that my magnet is broken in half! Can it work if it were glued together, or am I just kidding myself? I'm working on a penny budget right now, so any little tricks I can learn, I'll do! I'm not truly worried about knowing the speed I'm going since I know when I'm in 6th gear what mph I'm going based on the rpm's. Its that the odometer is registering 1 or 2 miles traveled within a 40 mile range. Thanks for everything!

Bixxer Bob

Sorry if this sounds unhelpful, it's not meant to be...  but since it's f**ked anyway, why not try gluing it together and see?  It won't be any more f**ked when you've finished and it might just work.  Then you can post that it works for others benefit (or not of course, either way) :wink:

SquatchyJ

You're absolutely right! Haha! I'll give it a try and see if anything good comes out of it!