News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

triumph-tiger.com: not dead yet!

Started by abruzzi, August 15, 2007, 07:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

Thanks to a poster on ADVRider, it seems the site isn't totally gone, if you use the direct IP address:

http://216.198.216.77/phpBB2/

Who knows how much longer it will stay, but the good news is that data isn't gone forever.

All we need to do to get the data (aside from BigDave's OK) is anyone who was an admin on the old system to log into the "Administration Panel" and use the "Backup Database" function.  If there are any old admins here (or if anyone knows one) I can give detailed steps for backing up the data.

Please, even if you don't have BigDave's ok to give me the data yet, run the backup and put the file in a safe place on your hard drive.  This will ensure that if the server goes, the archives will be safe.  I would be happy to help with this as well.

Geof

Stretch

BigDave was Admin, with Sasquatch and Tigertraxx as Mods.  Once BigDave dropped out of the scene, he gave most of his Jedi Powers to Sasquatch, so 'Squatch may still be an Admin there now.

He's a member here, and I believe I already sent you his e-mail address.

tigerrider

Yeah, PMed both of you on ADV....I recalled you talking to Squatch...and noticed the old board lists him as a Site Admin.

Stretch

Got it, and replied by ADV PM.

blacktiger

anyone try to email sasquatch? I mean, ive seen him post on the forum. But has been ignoring this thread on there.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

abruzzi

Quote from: "scorch"anyone try to email sasquatch? I mean, ive seen him post on the forum. But has been ignoring this thread on there.

I pm'd him.  Hopefully, he'll be able to help.

Geof

abruzzi

Just an FYI--to keep you up to date.  I have the data base dump.  I can start working on this now.  The tricky bit will be attachments.  There is a mod installed on the old board that allows you to attach a file directly to the post.  As best as I can see there are about 900 of these files.  

The problem is, the files themselves are not in the database, so I will have to take that data and build a script to suck down those 900 files.

The other tricky part will be merging the old forum with this new one.  I'll keep you guys up to date, but at least the data is now safe.  

Geof

tigerrider

OMG! AWESOME! Who do we thank for getting you access to that?

Cue the huge sigh of relief!

Sasquatch

Don't applause, just send money.

:wink:

tigerrider

nightrunner

Outstanding!  Excellent news.  Even if it can't be merged here (in original thread form), there may be an easier way to just have as an archive.  Given the size and number of files, if there was some way to have some of us volunteer to sort through parts of it.  Obviously some of it is not too valuable (old upcoming ride announcements, banter, the yo-mama ish stuff, etc.).  Its all that wisdom, how-to advice, farkle related, repair tricks, ride reports & pics, etc.   Anyway we have the archive so now the looming deadline is gone.  If there is a way that a non-web-savy chap such as myself can help with those 900 files, let me know.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

abruzzi

Quote from: "nightrunner"If there is a way that a non-web-savy chap such as myself can help with those 900 files, let me know.

I've finished the script (on work time no less) to suck down the files, but I'll wait until I get home so I don't kill my employers bandwidth while doing it.  

Don't worry, I'll keep everyone posted.  And give thanks to Sasquatch, for getting us access.

Geof

Stretch

Thank you, Sasquatch!!!

You da man!

Gonzo

Thank's for all the hard work.  It's great that all that info wasn't lost.

Peace,
Bob

abruzzi

Woo Hoo!

I have a fully functional triumph-tiger.com running on my laptop.  I can log in, browse posts, view attachments, and admin things.

So the data is safe and tested.

Now the hardest part.  I have to figure out how to move all the data to the new site.

Users:  If I import old posts without old users, I'm not sure what happens to posts that no longer have a user.

What I will try to do is merge the two user tables, and figure out what users have accounts on both.

Forums: Since the structure of the forums is different, the easiest short term solution would be to have a whole different set.  So all the current forums and all the old forums simultaneously.

Attachments:  I have the attachment files.  I will need to install the attachment mod to the new board.

Data Loss: because the time these things take, there may be a hiccup between I take an export of the current board, ad am able to merge and upload the new dataset.  Posts made during that period will likely be lost.  I'll let everyone know when that will happen, and I'll try to make the down time as fast as possible.

But, we're on our way...

Geof