News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger numbers

Started by 97tiger885, June 11, 2009, 05:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

Anybody know how many Tigers of each type were made and how many were sold in each country?  Somebody at the '09 Eastern Ride-In remembered a Triumph rep at a RAID claiming that Tiger sales in the US have been about 200 a year.  That makes what, about 1000 Steamers,  400 injected Steamers, 1200 Girlies and 400 Roadies for a total of 3000 in the US?  I see the number of registered users here is 2300.

JetdocX

Injected Steamers?  I've only seen two of those, both owner modified. :lol:
From parts unknown.

abruzzi

Those numbers seem kind of low, even for the US market.  For instance, the KTM 640 Adventure was limited to 200 in the US each year, and they seem far more scarce than tigers.  One thing to remember it at the moment, Triumph is selling 50k-60k bikes a year worldwide.  The top seller--the Speed Triple, I've read usually accounts for 10k-12k per year.  I'd think the bottom seller would have to maintain 2k production numbers to not get axed.  Finally, the US is triumph's largest market--though I'm sure the cruisers and classics are their leader here.

Geof

coachgeo

Think it was Mustang who told me that in 95 when they introduced the Steamer to the US there were only 700 sent over.  So the 95's have some rarity value here
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

Quote from: "coachgeo"Think it was Mustang who told me that in 95 when they introduced the Steamer to the US there were only 700 sent over.  So the 95's have some rarity value here
will you stop it with that I think it was 700  :Topes
In 1995 there were 125 tigers imported to the US (June or July 1995 Cycle world magazine article about the tiger  is my source)and by 98 they were up to 500 imported to the US

I've got a 1998 sold in the Northeast market and a 98 sold originally in the southeast market and the difference in the last 5 VIN numbers is only 100 units  , one is xx606 and the other is xx706
The number grew progressively over the 4 year span for US Steamers but they are a rare beast indeed .
My best Guess would be less than 2000 steamers came to US dealers from jolly old England

It took Triumph until January 2000 to produce the 100,000th Triumph worldwide , an average of just over 10 k a year Worldwide
the early triumphs that had the biggest #'s were T-Birds they were 25% of production . Interesting other info I discovered surfing the web , was that Germany got the first production models and Britain got their sales network after Germany . The Germans were always the biggest Tiger Market also .

The Kurgan

I learned that 3000 2005 model Tigers were produced worldwide.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 97560.html
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

coachgeo

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "coachgeo"Think it was Mustang who told me that in 95 when they introduced the Steamer to the US there were only 700 sent over.  So the 95's have some rarity value here
will you stop it with that I think it was 700  :Topes
In 1995 there were 125 tigers imported to the US (June or July 1995 Cycle world magazine article about the tiger  is my source)and by 98 they were up to 500 imported to the US...
Thanx for the correction.  Not sure where I rememered the 700 from. Must have been model number you described.   My source is a PM from you to me.  Obviously I remembered the data from that PM way off.  My bad.  

Anyway... Dont want to pass on bad info.  So for next time I'll program it now into my feeble brain  "Round about 125 first year and built up to approx.  2000 steamers total".

Thanx again.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Mustang

The Tiger was actually the worst seller of the model line in the US from 95-98

Dealers couldn't wait to finally be able to unload 2 and 3 year old bikes that nobody wanted or knew what they were .

When I bought my 1st 98 brand new in 99 I actually found three 98's and a brand new 97 sitting in dealer showrooms that were all within 500 miles of me  :shock:

When you bought a bike from triumph in the first few months of 1995 after they launched the US market you got one of these in the mail along with a letter of appreciation for buying one , and a t shirt  too , woohoo.

Jomama

Quote from: "Mustang"The Tiger was actually the worst seller of the model line in the US from 95-98

Dealers couldn't wait to finally be able to unload 2 and 3 year old bikes that nobody wanted or knew what they were .

When I bought my 1st 98 brand new in 99 I actually found three 98's and a brand new 97 sitting in dealer showrooms that were all within 500 miles of me  :shock:

When you bought a bike from triumph in the first few months of 1995 after they launched the US market you got one of these in the mail along with a letter of appreciation for buying one , and a t shirt  too , woohoo.

Thats a cool little story and piece of history. :)
1996 Tiger
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab Longbed SR5
**sold** /cry...  1993 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser

TigerTrax

2005... I believe the number was 250 brought into the USA....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

The Kurgan

Quote from: "TigerTrax"2005... I believe the number was 250 brought into the USA....

I believe that is about correct... as I was told by a Triumph dealership that prior to 2007, Canada saw about 30-50 Tigers per year, even less in the 1990's.

Given that we are about 10% the size of the US in terms of population, that would equal about 25 Tigers in 2005.

What a rare "little" kitty! we have 8)
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

97tiger885

Quote from: "JetdocX"Injected Steamers?  I've only seen two of those, both owner modified. :lol:

My (very limited, fourth-hand and rough) understanding is that carbed Steamers were produced approx. from '94 to '99, injected Steamers were produced in '00 and '01, Girlies approx. from '02 to'08('07?) and Roadies after that.  The injected Steamers had the same enduro look and the 885 engine.  This was the period just after the factory fire and production was limited.  Numbers here would have been very, very, very, very small.  I think there was a factory injected steamer in Arkansas last year but I may be misremembering that.  

Is Roy Bacon still alive?  I was hoping for an updated version of his book with models, serial numbers, production dates and all that good stuff for the H mcs.

Stretch

Steamers were built up to and including '98.

'99 and 2000 Tigers aren't Steamers.  It's a completely different bike with a different engine... only the cc displacement is the same.

Some early 2001's had the injected 885 engine, but they're Girlies.

Before the "Girly" moniker was hung on Girlies, they were called "Fuelies", for fuel injection.  You still see people refer to them as Fuelies from time to time.

But the Steamers stopped abruptly at the end of the '98 model year.

aeronca

Quote from: StretchSteamers were built up to and including '98.

But the Steamers stopped abruptly at the end of the '98 model year.

a sad time indeed :cry:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

abruzzi

The look of the Girlies grows on you.  When I bought mine, it was between the Girly (silver 03) and a Cagiva Gran Canyon.  The Gran Canyon is a good looking bike, but I liked the Tiger as well.

The mid-90's brought several similar looking bikes: the Steamer, the Africa Twin, the Ducati/Cagiva Elefant:

They're close enough to be cousins-- and are all modeled after the look of the Dakar bikes of the late 80's and early 90's.  It would have been cool if the tigers had retain the utilitarian/earthy look, but they have all moved on:

(whoops.  The picture I originally picked, was more risque that I thought.  for those that want to see it, I left the direct lnk:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mvhjidbvdzc/R ... 2B1050.jpg )

At least our's still looks better.

Geof