News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Descending in mud

Started by 97tiger885, June 22, 2009, 06:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

I have been practicing off-pavement riding on the State Game Lands in PA.  Recently, we have had a lot of rain; so, I am getting an opportunity to ride in some mud.  I don't have much experience there.  I did one long  straight uphill and managed fine.  Downhill is another matter.  What is proper technique for descending on mud on a long, steep downhill with and without switchbacks? This is not deep mud but it is not just surface dampness.

matttys

Personally, I wouldn't try that on my Tiger.  That pig is a beast offroad.  I'd do that with my DR350 or Dakar, but with street tires you are going to have fun.  

My advice is to use lots of back break and put most of your weight on the foot pegs.  That way the balance is down low for your slipping and sliding.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

JetdocX

Forget about a controlled descent.  Hang on and pray. :shock:
From parts unknown.

Patrick

The 2nd-to-best thing ist to let her roll. Don't even THINK about touching the front brake in a muddy descent. The wheel will lock and you fall off. And the rear break is petty useless when rinding downhill, Even if the track isn't muddy.

Gruß

Patrick

97tiger885

Thanks for the advice.  Sounds like the best course of action is don't do it.  Especially, since I tend to ride alone.

flux

Don't listen to the nay-sayers.  It can be done.  Engine braking (along with practice) is your friend.  

Don't hit the front brake.

Remember you have a clutch and some gears.

Keep yer weight to the rear, stand on the pegs.

Look ahead, eyes up, anticipate your next move before it happens.

fano

Until you lock up the front wheel with mud against you fender. Not much chance of keeping her upright. High fender mod is you friend in the mud.

stook

Quote from: "97tiger885"Thanks for the advice.  Sounds like the best course of action is don't do it.  Especially, since I tend to ride alone.

Well, if you do decide to ride down steep inclines in mud at least take a video. Some of us have never seen a big heavy Tiger do a really long downhill slide laying down.   :ImaPoser