News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First Camping Trip with my son

Started by Joe Geddes, July 07, 2009, 03:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Geddes

This is our first camping trip with my 10 year old son, packing becomes a little tight with two but very manageable.
We stayed at The Dunes, just south of Grand bend on Lake Huron, managed to do some hiking, fishing and swimming while there. We managed to pack a small fishing pole and some basic tackle, couple of bites but no catch which is lucky as not sure what I would have done if I had caught something.  :shock:

HappyMan

Awesome!!!!!!  I take each of my kids on one big camping trip per year.  I'm out with my 10 year old next week around Lake Superior.  Just under 2000 miles of incredible beauty, awesome roads, a great lake and one on one with one of my four kids.  Can't wait!  

Don't ever miss a chance to share some time with your kids like this.  :thumbsup
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Joe Geddes

Your absolutely right, I also have four kids and the one on one time is very special as they have your undivided time that they need.
I do look forward to a longer trip next time out.

JetdocX

Wow!  Thanks for the inspiration.  How do you keep him awake on the back?  Or do you have some kind of velcro attachment to you.

I'd love to take my son to some of the things I've seen and ridden, but I'd be devastated if he ever fell off due to sleep.

So far only hour-long rides for him. :wink:
From parts unknown.

SERadtke

Great job Dad!!!!! My oldest of three is 10, he rides with me quite a bit. It may be time to do a camping trip with him this summer!
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

HappyMan

Quote from: "SERadtke"Great job Dad!!!!! My oldest of three is 10, he rides with me quite a bit. It may be time to do a camping trip with him this summer!

Shawn,  we should plan a camping trip together.

Jetdox, kids falling asleep is a problem.  Here is what I do.  

1.  Get an intercom so you can constantly keep them engaged.  

2. Stop often and make a game of it.  With my younger ones I tell them that we will stop at EVERY playground they find.  This keeps them constantly looking for every obscure little public playground.  My now ten year old has a game he plays with himself.  He pretends that he has an imaginary stunt bike rider riding along with him.  He jumps and flips up the hills and on the telephone poles and takes out the birds flying through the air.  It's hilarious.

3. I let them chew gum.  I hate gum so thats a real treat for them and they only get to chew it when they are tired.  

Last, if the above still fail and they start to get sluggish I pull over immediately and we pull out some pistachios and have a quick little picnic out in the field somewhere.  I have lost a kid yet!

It's pure joy sharing my love for two wheels with my kids.  Make it fun for them and take your time for them so they don't fall asleep.  Also, I rarely ever ride on freeways or in traffic with my young ones.  If you keep to the country you've plenty of places to stop and take time outs.  Have fun!

SERadtke

Quote from: "HappyMan"
Quote from: "SERadtke"Great job Dad!!!!! My oldest of three is 10, he rides with me quite a bit. It may be time to do a camping trip with him this summer!

Name the time! I've got plenty of it right now :wink:
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

HappyMan

Quote from: "SERadtke"
Quote from: "HappyMan"

Name the time! I've got plenty of it right now :wink:

I know you do Shawn.  Wish I had some time for you.  I sent you a pm a while ago, hope you got it.  Stop by my office sometime or come to one of our seminars.  I'm gone almost the entirety of July.  Let's try to touch base in August.  Any luck in the job hunt?  I'm looking for a salesman....

RT

Awesome, great way to spend time with the kids.

Took my son for the first time when he was 6.  A trip I'll never forget.

Enjoy every moment.  Mine is 22 now and will be heading to Air Force OTS in a few months.   At least now he can buy his own bike to ride.....
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

The Kurgan

Those memories last a lifetime. My 7 year old son is now tall enough to comfortably reach the passenger pegs... for the last year he's been going on short 15-20 minute rides with me around town. I think he's ready for a 1 hour ride up to Port Dover or Turkey Point on Lake Erie for some camping. Thanks for sharing the photos.
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]