News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Anyone install Motech crash bars on their 1050?

Started by TallRob, July 23, 2009, 08:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallRob

i expect mine any day now and I was just wondering are the attachment points merely slotted so that you dont have to completely remove the engine bolts or do you? also do you apply any loctech to the bolts when you retorque them and what do I retorque them too?

Thanks guys

Sin_Tiger

The supplied longer bolts completely replace the originals, the holes on both bike and bars are all round, you need a large Torx drive to remove the engine bolts T55 if memory serves me correctly, not something eveyone has in their toolbox.

The supplied nuts are "squeezed" at one end, designed not to use loctite but I can't think of a reason not to if you are worried about it.

The torque figures are M12 = 79 Nm as noted on the fitting instructions. No point in posting my pics as the ones on the SW-Motech website are very good.

They fitted perfectly with no wiggling about or putting pressure on the ends to get the holes matched up. Took less than two hours including cursing and mopping up the blood :lol:

Do be prepared to get you arms scratched trying to reach the nuts on the inside through the rear frame. Give it a good wash first and if you don't have a centre stand then put it up on a stand or blocks suitably secured.

You will need a good selection of open ended and ring spanners, some offsets work better than others, sockets won't work inside, between 16 - 19mm.

Didn't experience any issues with vibration etc. on a 300 mile run afterwards and everything was still solid.

Oh, remember to remove all the spanners when you are done, I removed the last one jammed againt the subframe 100 miles into the trip  :oops: man this engine is so smooth.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TallRob

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"The supplied longer bolts completely replace the originals, the holes on both bike and bars are all round, you need a large Torx drive to remove the engine bolts T55 if memory serves me correctly, not something eveyone has in their toolbox.

The supplied nuts are "squeezed" at one end, designed not to use loctite but I can't think of a reason not to if you are worried about it.

The torque figures are M12 = 79 Nm as noted on the fitting instructions. No point in posting my pics as the ones on the SW-Motech website are very good.

They fitted perfectly with no wiggling about or putting pressure on the ends to get the holes matched up. Took less than two hours including cursing and mopping up the blood :lol:

Do be prepared to get you arms scratched trying to reach the nuts on the inside through the rear frame. Give it a good wash first and if you don't have a centre stand then put it up on a stand or blocks suitably secured.

You will need a good selection of open ended and ring spanners, some offsets work better than others, sockets won't work inside, between 16 - 19mm.

Didn't experience any issues with vibration etc. on a 300 mile run afterwards and everything was still solid.

Oh, remember to remove all the spanners when you are done, I removed the last one jammed againt the subframe 100 miles into the trip  :oops: man this engine is so smooth.

COOL! I get to buy a new tool!!!! hehehee. Now I have to figure out fo locally would have a torx T55 , hmmmmmmmmmm

Stretch

I lost a T-55 bit out of my set when I had the bike apart last fall.  I set it down in the shop somewhere, and haven't found the damned thing yet.  I found a replacement at Autozone.

You'll also need a 17mm combo wrench for the nut on the backside.

TallRob

Quote from: "Stretch"I lost a T-55 bit out of my set when I had the bike apart last fall.  I set it down in the shop somewhere, and haven't found the damned thing yet.  I found a replacement at Autozone.

You'll also need a 17mm combo wrench for the nut on the backside.
did you check your gas tank?
dont worry, my dad has tools. he is a tv repairman (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)

ccherry

Just fyi - if you bike is an 09 you won't need the Torx as they have changed the bolts to either 18 or 19mm, can't recall.  and the other posts are correct, you need a 17mm combo for the inside nuts and it is a pita to tighten them correctly (use a torque wrench) from my perspective.......

tiger1050.com has lots of info on the bars, vibes, etc......

good luck
carter

Stretch

Quote from: "ccherry"tiger1050.com has lots of info on the bars, vibes, etc......

Be sure to buy some stickers!  :mrgreen: