News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bike Storage tips

Started by diggerT, August 18, 2009, 06:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diggerT

I recently bought a Suzuki GP 100 as a project. It runs but has been in a shed fro 12 years. I know it will take me a long time to put on the road!
Any tips as to how to store while I strip it down and fix, I have read stuff about draining the tank, putting oil in the spark plug holes etc.
I am a complete amateur at this so any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Stretch

I'm doing the same thing for a friend's '82 Yamaha 650 Maxim while he's off in Afghanistan.  

Organization is key.  Get your hands on two or three milk crates or similar sturdy boxes, ziploc bags of different sizes, a notebook, and a Sharpie.  

When you disassemble a part (such as the front brakes), take notes if there is a question as to how something reassembles (does this seal face in or out?).  Some folks take lots of photos with a Polaroid or digital camera.

Then keep all the related parts in a ziploc bag, and label the bag with the Sharpie 'Front Right Caliper', or whatever.

Get as many manuals as you can, as there are some things in one manual that may not be in another.  Also, dig around on the 'web for forums, like this one.  When you're up to your ribs in rusty parts, broken bolts, and stale gas, you can't get too much good information.

As far as the bike itself, drain the tank and carbs, and give each bolt and screw a shot of penetrating oil.  Re-do the penetrating oil every couple weeks, to lessen the chances of broken bolts during disassembly.  

Plug the exhaust to keep mice, dirt daubers, and other critters from building nests in there.  Do the same for the airbox intake snorkel.  If you pull the carbs, plug the intakes in the head with clean rags or paper towels.

If you're storing it in a shed, put a mothball in every nook and cranny of the bike to keep pests out.  Also consider mouse and rat traps or poison bait in the shed itself.  Or a couple cats.

jsingraham

I actually just finished restoring an 86 Honda Fatcat.  My advice is similar to what Stretch already noted.  I did a lot of ziplock baggies and masking tape and sharpie labeling.  

For the motor, if you re-ring it or do a total top end job or something, I would suggest putting some oil on all moving parts once you re-assemble especially if it is going to sit for a while before re-assembly and the first starting.  

Definitely drain the gas from the tank.  I would think you would want to give it a good cleaning anyway, so that would be one of the first things I would do.  

As for all of the other bits, parts and pieces, label everything and group/store them in one semi-central location if at all possible.  I found out the hard way when I had to spend about 2 hours searching for the NOS air filter that I bought for it about 6 months ago...I put it with my vehicle filters and not with my Fatcat restore parts!

Good luck!

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

diggerT

Thanks chaps, very useful advice and gives me the incentive to get cracking!

DiggerT