News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

front brake noise stops when apply brakes

Started by 97Tiger, August 30, 2009, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97Tiger

my 97 Steamer is constantly making a dragging noise from the front brake. when apply a little pressure to the brake leaver the noise stops.  this makes me think that the brake pads do not spring back to the caliper and loosely stay in contact with the disk causing the constant noise.
what is your advice to repair?
are some springs in the caliper that keep the brake  pads away from the disk?
would like to hear from you veterans before i get my hands in.
Thank you
Nino

JetdocX

There are no springs to retract the brake linings from the discs by design.  Are your linings worn out and you have metal to metal contact happening?
From parts unknown.

EvilBetty

Do these bikes / pads have tattle tale squeakers on them like cars do?
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Mustang

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Do these bikes / pads have tattle tale squeakers on them like cars do?
steamers don't...... you got to look at them now and then and see whats left  :shock:

Sin_Tiger

If the pads still have meat on them it's one of two things, or both  :roll:

The pistons are not retracting back as the pressure is released:

1) The pistons have surface corrosion on the exposed section which stops the retraction movement, common if the bike's been laid up for a while. If it is just surface then cleaning off with scotch brite and brasso will do the job, if it's more serious than that then there will be surface pitting and replacement is really the only option as the seals will get damaged and leak.

2) The master cylinder seals and or piston are past it and not allowing the excess brake fluid to go back into the cylinder.

When was the last time it had a change of brake fluid? Can't remember right! I try to do it every 18 months, bikes or cars, it's quite surprising how much water gets soaked up by fluid, which subsequently causes internal corrosion.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

97Tiger

I just took the pads out and no  pads is left on one and on the other even the metal is 1/16 gone same with the disk.
I will replace pads and ride again hopefully noise free.

Mustang

Quote from: "97Tiger"I just took the pads out and no  pads is left on one and on the other even the metal is 1/16 gone same with the disk.
by the sounds of things you need new rotors now also .
they are 200 bucks each for the front if you buy EBC's even more if you go with stock triumph rotors .

nightrunner

Didn't someone post recently about some wavy rotors on his steamer???   Yup, found it.  Scroll down a couple pages to the thread titled "Wavy Rotor Goodness".   He says Galfer make 'em.   Its just a thought but suggest you line up all options before you buy since rotor aint cheap.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

JetdocX

Wavy ones are about the same price as the standard ones.  I just think they look cooler. 8)
From parts unknown.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "97Tiger"I just took the pads out and no  pads is left on one and on the other even the metal is 1/16 gone same with the disk.

Have a real good look / clean the exposed section of the pistons BEFORE you push them back, once the seals are ripped it's a strip down job.

QuoteI just think they look cooler. Cool

Steamers are cool anyway, yours must eb sub zero by now  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint