News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My Neighbourhood

Started by Nick Calne, September 04, 2009, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Well gents, I can't say that my neighbour hood is every going to compete with some of the stuff we get to see in ride reports from the American contingent, or even what the Scottish lads can post, but I thought you might like a look around Wiltshire.  No mountains, no sweeping forests or big rivers.... What we got instead are neolithic stone circles built 3000 years BC, thatched cottages and crazy chalk hill horse artwork, crop circles and farmers...  I'll update this post from time to time when I get the bike back on the road.....

Part of Avebury Stone circle.
Avebury for those who have not been, is a giant version of Stonehenge.  Much better version too.  Also has a good bike meet during the summer.

Barbury Castle
They make racehorses here.  Hence grass and open space.  Lots of little byways to go and explore.  You gotta slow down to let the girls on horses go by occasionally, but when I was younger this was a way to meet rich, pretty girls.  So I can't complain.

Typical Wiltshire coutryside, typical road.  No cars, no speed cameras, no police.  Not typical in England.

Nearest proper town.  Marlborough.

Where the peasants live.

The bike looks a bit pink here for some reason! Dodgy photo! Don't care what you say, 98 Volcanic red is the best colour for steamers.

Alton Barnes
Home of many a crop circle, including the one used on the Led Zep remasters album cover.

Alton Barnes White Horse

Crops coming in

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Stretch

Edited for click-free pleasure.

I love the ancient druidic and celtic stuff.  Have any more of those?

Nick Calne

Thanks - I'll have a look to see how to do it properly.

In terms of ancient stuff - we got lots. will post asap.

Stretch

Open the pic in its own window, then copy-n-paste its URL between the  tags.

I'm seriously going to have to just bite the bullet and get my butt to the UK and Ireland for some heavy motorcycle touring.  There's enough of my Mom's Irish and Welsh blood running around in here to really feel part of me used to belong there and wants to return.

Keep 'em coming.  If you post them, I'll drool over them.

BigMark

Someone in the uk is putting together a stone circle ride it's nationwide and when its done i will post it up for you to drool over..

Nick Calne

Well if you have Welsh or Irish blood they will welcome you like a long lost favourite son.  (Better get ready for some drinking).

I took the steamer to Wales earlier in the year... it's a wonderful place to ride.  As for Ireland, I've been there three times and never seen further than 10 yards as it has always been raining so hard.  Had a good time though.

LLanthony Abbey

Stretch

Quote from: "nickcalne"Well if you have Welsh or Irish blood they will welcome you like a long lost favourite son.

Awesome!

QuoteBetter get ready for some drinking.

Awesomer!

oxnsox

Nick some great pics there. I used to live a bit to the south in The New Forest... bizarre place for us foreigners due to its lack of trees.:!:  :!:
And Stretch, Nick aint kidding about the drinking... my ex Mother'n'law flew halfway round the world to look up the lost side of her family. When she arrived, after a day and a half of travel, they wouldn't let her in the door till she'd downed a dram of the local whiskey.... :occasion14 and shes wasn't a drinker... but had nowhere else to go.. :ImaPoser
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Stenhouse

Offas dyke behind Llanthony abbey up on the hill top, the old border between England and Wales
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

HockleyBoy

Nice pics, a lovely part of the country Wiltshire, must get over that way for a ride sometime (no speed cameras means you can actually enjoy a ride!).
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

Lovvely countryside, I miss all the greeness out here :(

Quote from: "Stretch"Edited for click-free pleasure.

I love the ancient druidic and celtic stuff.  Have any more of those?

Should I post some personal pics, I fit two of those catagories  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

macgart

Great pics.  I was supposed to be in Ireland right now, but my wife had surgery a few weeks ago and we had to cancel the trip.

I was really looking forward to meeting her family in Cork.  My family heritage is primarily Scottish, so I'm sure I could have found an excuse to toss back a few pints.

Love the pictures of the old abbeys and castles.  We may have the sweeping vistas and such here in the US, but you guys really have the history and architecture.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

Nick Calne

Sorry to hear about your wife.  Hope she recovers quickly.  Cork is a great place and I have had some good times there, but by god can it rain there!  If you get the chance take the road round the bottom of Ireland to dingle peninsula.  It's stunning.