News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain worn out way to fast

Started by wedeking19, September 10, 2009, 06:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedeking19

I'm looking for some advice.  In the last two years I've put new chain and sprockets on my 04 tiger and my dad has done the same on his 01 sprint st.  both ran right at 30k before they went with regular adjustment and lube.

Can't remember the brand of sprockets and chain we put on (picked up at local triumph dealer) but we've both managed to have these two new chains wear out at 10k or 11k miles.  the sprint ran out of adjustment, and the sprockets look worse at 11k than the stock sprockets looked at 30k.

i'm looking for suggestions of brands to get of new sprockets and chains for both.  10k out of a chain won't cut it when i got 30k on the first one.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Boldly breaking things where nothing has been broken before.

matttys

How much vertical movement did you tension into the chain?  Do you use chain lube/wax?
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

cbxtc6

Yes, Tiger's chains like to be on the loose side.  Check play while you're ON the bike!  I've never seen a bike where the chain tension is so affected by rider and gear weight.