News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Battery

Started by Medic09, September 23, 2009, 01:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic09

So I came out of the ER this morning after 13 hours of combat, and my Tiger wouldn't start.  Temps were down in the 30s, and the battery didn't have enough cranking power.

Long story short, I finally got it home this afternoon.  Battery at rest shows 12.4 volts across the posts.  At high idle, it goes up to mid 13s.  At higher throttle, no change.

I had a similar battery for my T160 project.  I swapped that in.  13.4 v across the posts at rest.  14.2 v at high idle.

I'm thinking the old battery was just past its useful life and didn't take a full charge anymore.  It was a Yuasa, maybe original?   Supporting my theory, the attachment points at the top of the battery box for the Triumph tank bag block access to the battery. I had to bend them back a bit to allow removal.  I suspect that was a seven year old battery!

Would you all concur, or should I be worried about the bike's charging system?

Thanks!
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Medic09"I had a similar battery for my T160 project.  I swapped that in.  13.4 v across the posts at rest.  14.2 v at high idle.

I think you`ve answered yer own question !! these figures look ok to me !! i`d give the duffer a 2nd chance and give it a good slow charge, then get it tested !! lead acid battery`s don`t like to be run down without gettin charged immediately !! the last owner could of had the bike sittin for months without toppin up the charge !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Buffalo

Not to hijack... but anyone recommend a good, long lasting battery for a tiger? Seems some of the cheaper ones are only good for a year, I have had pretty good luck with yuasa's in the past on other bikes but they are hard to find here. My original is getting weak after 5 years, but don't care for dealers prices, but am willing to pay a little more for quality and peace of mind.
\'05 Tiger 955i
74 Suzuki GT550