News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlight Bulb Replacement

Started by ArizonaKid, October 05, 2009, 04:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

Okay, dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.  I know there are two different bulbs (H7 on one side and H9 on the other). Presently only one side (the H7 side) is on when its on low beam.  When I put it on high beam the other one comes on (the H9 I believe) and the H7 stays on as it was.  Is this normal?  Should both sides be on when it's on low beam?
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"Should both sides be on when it's on low beam?

I'm guessing you meant should both Low (H7) and High (H9) be on when you switch to high?

The answer is yes, Low stays on all the time.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ArizonaKid

Actually I was asking about there only being one side on when its on low beam. . .  Is that how these things work?
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger

EvilBetty

Yes, you have to get a relay kit to have them both on.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

oxnsox

Bike lights maybe set differently for different markets.

On the Girlies you can have Both or One for Low beam (and maybe none in markets where a headlight off switch is fitted???) and high beam.
The combination is determined by which relays are fitted into which slots (these are inside the fairing on Girlies).
They do this so it's a (relatively) simple and low cost thing to set the bikes up for Right hand drive countries or Left hand drive ones. (I had to change mine over)  

My manual doesn't cover Roadies but I'm guessing they use the same basic solution
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"Actually I was asking about there only being one side on when its on low beam. . .  Is that how these things work?

Ah, I see. Yes, the H7 & H9 lamps are single filament unlike the H4's on Girlies & Steamers where there is a dip and main in each reflector. So we are stuck with only one lamp on with Roadies.

There is a device called a "Twin Light Driver" that, if I understand it's operation correctly, allows a reduced voltage to be passed to the H9 main beam all the time and switches to full voltage when you go to main beam. This will only work with standard type filament lamps not with HID of course. The main benefit is visibility to other road users, I don't know if it helps much for actual riding vision, quite a few guys on other forums swear by them. Personally I'm going the HID route, sitting in the garage waiting on me getting back to fit them  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ArizonaKid

Thanks for your illuminating answers (really).  Maybe some upgraded/brighter bulbs are in order. . .
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "ArizonaKid"Thanks for your illuminating answers (really).  Maybe some upgraded/brighter bulbs are in order. . .

:ImaPoser unlike me to miss a pun opportunity like that  :roll:

Twinlight_Driver2

bonoeuf

Does anyone know if you could use a HID in the dip only and still use the twin light driver to operate the original H9. I do like to see both lights on, even if it would be dim.
Marty

Sin_Tiger

Had considered that myself and I can't see why not as the Twinlight driver only controls the brightness of the main beam, as I understand it, and the dip remains on all the time anyway.

Having had HID DE Micros on the Vara now for a while, I may end up not fitting my main beam with HID due to the start time delay. I got a main and dip HID set so I will have a spare HID that can probably be converted back to H7.

angeloyzf

Check your low beam headlight .....
many people (considering myself) got this problem ........  :cry:  :cry:

Sin_Tiger

Is that what I think it is, not so clear on your pic, debris inside the reflector? Where did it come from, the paint on the lamp tip?

angeloyzf

The reflective part oh the headlight fall down  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: