News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

colors in the expansion tank

Started by echoyankee, July 23, 2004, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

echoyankee

Hello all:

I'm noticing a darkening of the fluid in the expansion tank.  (Coolant.)

The tiger is my first foray into the world of liquid cooled motorcycles and I don't know if this is just par for the course or whether my oil is communicating with the coolant.  Head gasket?  

Someone please take a moment and calm down this nervous ninny.  

Best,

echoyankee

Brock

Blimey...it should be fairly clean-looking bluey-green tinted water. Hope someone else can put your mind at rest. Head gasket would be SO unusual and such bad luck.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Quote from: "Brock"Blimey...it should be fairly clean-looking bluey-green tinted water. .

I'm afraid to say that in 21500 miles, mine has stayed a nice clean turquoise colour.

echoyankee

Mmh.

It is, indeed, troubling.  

Sadly, I can't rule much of anything in or out.  I used my oil filling funnel to get some coolant INTO the bike the other day.  (it was running just a skitch low).  So a small amount (MAYBE 1mL at most) of motor oil may have been scooped in along the way.

I think I'll change the coolant out and watch for any changes.  

Thankfully, there is no blue/white smoke coming from the exhaust indicating an overt breach between the oil and coolant reservoirs, but I could be doing a little seeping.

I'll keep you posted.

Best,

echoyankee

max1198

I noticed the same on my '00 model. Only bought it a couple of months ago and was going to flush the system. Now it seems with closer inspection to be about 10mm at the top that is the browny colour, the rest looks blue. Shouldn't be rust as I don't think there is anything to rust. I'm going to siphon it off and see what it is and make sure the stuff underneath is ok.

echoyankee

Oh max,

I don't know what to say.

If its dark and rises to the top of a water solution, that sounds to me like oil.  

I'm interested in the results of your siphoning experiment.

Do post when you get the results back.

Best,

echoyankee

max1198

echoyankee,

hadn't used the bike for a couple of days and the expansion tank fluid was all dark. Siphoned the top layer off and looks link tinited coolant. As I have left the bike whatever it is seems to drop to the bottom of the expansion tank. I also have quite a bit of sediment (or appears so) at the bottom of the tank. Will give the bike a good run today and check again. It is does rise and leave just coolant below then I will spihon the tank, remove, etc. Doesn't look like oil and my oil levels are ok. Also no smoke out the exhaust. If it does turn out to be oil, thank goodness for dealer warranty!

BigDave

I had the exact same concern on my replacement 955 after about 1500 miles.  I was convinced there was a problem and it was most likely oil.  The main mechanic at the dealer said it WAS NOT oil and I shouldn't worry about it.  He said the coolent tends to turn color.  Mine looked pretty brown but he said not to worry.   :-k

echoyankee

Thanks for the update max.

My coolant is still looking ominously dark, but still functioning fine and there is absolutely no evidence of cross talk between the  oil and coolant otherwise.  

I'm thinking that there may be something to what BigDave is saying.  It may simply be that this coolant has turned colors.  

Hm!  :?

Best,

echoyankee

max1198

Sludge. Pure sludge.

Forgot to say that the previous owner looked after the Tiger very well but it had been sitting for about a year before I bought it. The dealer (non-Triumph) changed oil etc, but obviously did not flush the system. I removed the expansion tank and at the bottom was a good amount of solid brown sludge. Got it shifted and gave it a good clean.

Thanks for your help with this and hope your problem is similar and not anything more sinister.