News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

More Ouray photos and report

Started by Sasquatch, July 28, 2004, 02:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

Before I start.  I must say that I am ashamed of you guys.  Not one other tiger rider showed up to the ADVrider rally in Ouray!  The only one that did was BigDave, but he was on his GS.  I'm trying to spread the word that Tigers make great DS bikes, and no one shows.  You guys are lame.

What a trip.  Great time guys.  Here is my installment of the trip report:

I am not going to spend much time on my trip down or back.  Pretty boring.

How can you tell a good place to eat breakfast?  By the two rednecks drinking beer outside (it's 7am).

Most of Utah sucks!

This is proof that Harley riders are idiots :evil .  This rider, while beiing very nice, was an idiot.  He ran out of gas between Jackpot and whatever the town's name is south of Jackpot.  I asked him what his fuel range was and he said about 150 miles.  He said he filled up about 75 miles before Jackpot, and it is roughly 100+ miles between Jackpot and (whatever the town's name).  Hmmm, you do the math, because he obviously can't.  To top that off, he decided to try and make it to the town by running at full throttle (he passed me at 100+).  He was nice enough though, so I ran to town and got him some fuel.

The scenery in and around Ouray is stunning.  Random scenery shots:

As BigDave mentioned, on saturday we hooked up for a ride.  The victoms included (L to R) Stinez, BigDave, Andy and myself, Sasquatch.  At this point in the ride, Andy said he will stay where we were at and "look at some buildings".  I did not believe him for an instant.

I think he had plans with a small furry woodland creature.  Poor thing probably never walked straight again.

So, BigDave, Stinez and I headed for Cinnamon Pass.  The Tiger once again proving her willingness to prowl the high country.  Of course, Stinez flat rocked on the Vstrom.

Here is some photos of the trip down Cinnamon pass towards Lake City:

As we rolled into Lake City, the heavans just broke open.  This is rain like I have rarely seen in my life.  All the roads turned into rivers.  This is where the money spent on good riding gear pays off in dividends.  I stayed warm and dry.

The trip from Lake City back to Ouray.  While not technical at all, very beautifull.

Aint that last one cool?

Looking down into Ouray:

The ride home was safe, but uneventfull.  I will spare you the details.  Had a great trip.

BigDave

COOL!!

I forgot you were tigerjay over here & not Sasquatch.  My bad.

It was a BLAST!!!!!

Nice ridin with ya!  8)

morton_chad

Wow. Nice pictures. The Tiger is my first 'street' bike. I tried to do some adventure touring on my XR650L and found the street riding was a little to rough. The pictures confirm that my tiger purchase was the right transition. If I could get the XR's suspension on the tiger, I would be a happy camper.

When's the next ride?

Robbie

Quote from: "tigerjay"Before I start.  I must say that I am ashamed of you guys.  Not one other tiger rider showed up to the ADVrider rally in Ouray!  The only one that did was BigDave, but he was on his GS.  I'm trying to spread the word that Tigers make great DS bikes, and no one shows.  You guys are lame..

Sorry Tigerjay but the bridge was out and the Zegas make the tiger float face down!!

UK is not upper Kansas you know.

Lets make a deal? You spread the word that side of the pond and I will try my best this side.

Did your ride with BigD change some of his thoughts about the Tigers abilities compared to the B*W (any second thoughts there BigD coming back to the fold? You know you want too!)
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Sasquatch

I really feel that the BMW and Tiger are very similar off road.  It just depends on the owner.  The tiger really speaks to me, and the GS to BigDave.  The GS is a bit heavier, but both will get stopped by the same rock pile, right Dave?

I can't speak for Dave, but I think both of us are really happy with our bikes.  Heck, my tiger even won the award for the prettiest bike at the rally.  Probably because it was so different from the sea of BMW's.

BigDave

Yep, but I got farther than you!  :lol:

Seriously, it was the right decision for us to get the hell outa there.

Overall, it mostly comes down to the rider.  Heck Stinez was on a V-Strom and was tearing it up off-road.  Tigerjay has a tricked out Tiger.  With his fab work, he has protected all the areas that I had concerns about when I had the Tiger.  His bike is awesome.  If I could have done that or bought the bits from someone else, I may have kept the Tiger.

My bike handled real well off road and 8 of us were blasting through fireroads on Saturday.  I am enjoying the longer travel and higher clearence of the Adventure as well as the way it seems to soak up the bumps and washboards. Bottom line is that it doesn't matter which bike you have.  I rode with GS's, KTM 950's, V-Strom's & Tigers last weekend and everyone was capable and having a blast on their repective bikes.  :)

Robbie

Quote from: "BigDave"Bottom line is that it doesn't matter which bike you have.  I rode with GS's, KTM 950's, V-Strom's & Tigers last weekend and everyone was capable and having a blast on their repective bikes.  :)

Your right Dave I was just pulling your chain and seeing how much slack there was. I am just a bit fed up with poeple TELLING me I SHOULD have bought a B*W to do what I do when they have no idea.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

echoyankee

I am becoming more and more inclined to leave the tarmac and try some fire roads.  What awesome pictures!

Best,

echoyankee

Edit:  I found the French foreign exchange student pics in Dave's post.

Just wanted to be sure there was parity between the photos the advriders got to see and the photos we got to see over here on the Tiger boards.  :)

Patrick the Scot

Sounds like you all had fun.  I would like to hook with other Tiger riders as well.  I just got a Tiger and was in Ouray on Sept 18.  Reference "Colorado Quick Trip" in ride report.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

mickkennish

Your photographs are fantastic, what stunning scenery and all viewed from Hinkley's finest.  you are very lucky having rides like that on your doorstep.  I am currently separated from my Tiger by about 4500 miles........

Thank you for sharing your ride.