News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Riding kit

Started by akey, December 08, 2009, 12:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akey

OK I know this is probably going to sound a bit strange but here we go anyway.

Last summer I spent most of the time riding the Girly in a one piece race suit and road boots.

As winter kicks in I have changed my kit to the textiles and my full on MX boots.

Now in the summer next year I would like to continue wearing my MX boots and my Mach1 Mesh jacket, but dont want to use the heavier winter enduro kit I have.  So the questions are:

Ride with one piece and MX boots and look like a supermoto rider  :oops:

Wear my Summer Oneil MX Pants (not sure how abrasion resistant they are)

Buy some summer enduro gear (will it be any better than the MX pants).

Or

Can you get some kevlar underkit to go under the MX pants for road use, I have Kevlar armoured Jeans but these just dont look right tucked into the MX boots and dont fit over the top  :(

Would value any opinions on road/trail kit

Bixxer Bob

Hmmm,  I'm not going to be much help here as I ride all year round in a Hein Gericke Toureg suit (removable winter liner).  I have similar probs, I'd like to wear MX boots, but the suit just doesn't look right tucked into them.  Also, the removable winter liner is also the waterproof layer.  You don't have to be a genius to work out that, in warm weather,  you either over heat and get wet or you remove the waterproof layer... and get wet.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

A bit strange!!! blimey your not kidding,from the sublime to the rediculous!!,whats wrong with a textile 3/4 armoured jacket,leather pants and normal motorcycle boots,all your riding is a VFR with a bit more suspension.

You wear motocross gear on  motocrosser,or am i missing something :roll:

John Stenhouse

I went with some new stuff to Canada last year, Swedish stuff called Halvarsons. Textile like Hein Gericke, but it fits me better than their stuff did. Might be courtesy of the short leg available option!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

PeteH

akey, check out the thread by Flux on the new Triumph kit, now we can all look like Chalie and Ewan while riding Trumpets :wink:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

akey

Your right about the sublime bit, as you can see I have gathered a whole bunch of kit over the years, including 3/4 jacket but its just too hot at times.

The main reason for wanting to use MX kit is ite very breathable and I am going touring in spain next year, so dont really want to be spending most of the day in my leather suit.

I am also taking the old girle for a bit of trail riding in the sping so would like something a bit lighter than my winter enduro pants.

I do have road boots and kit, but also have the MX kit for off roading with my daughter.

As for the boots, I prefer MX boots to road boots, just feel a hell of a lot more secure than road boots, and pretty sure I am less likely to twist, damage or otherwise break my ankles in MX boots when I drop the big ol girl (in fact I already know this from the last time I dropped her and she landed on my ankle, pretty sure the Dominators stopped any injury to the ankle).

So from the looks of it, its the kevlar jeans tucked in then!!

akey

Quote from: "PeteH"akey, check out the thread by Flux on the new Triumph kit, now we can all look like Chalie and Ewan while riding Trumpets :wink:

he he I saw that, and yet another reason not to wear rally style kit lol

NeilD

Quote from: "akey"So from the looks of it, its the kevlar jeans tucked in then!!

yeah, you cant see yourself whilst you're riding (unless passing any large shop windows of course  :D )... just tell yourself it confirms to the world that you are an individual, as if riding a Tiger isnt proof enough!  :wink:  :D

oxnsox

I lived in Spain until a few years back, in fact I bought my Girly there. In summer I wore a  jacket made by a Swiss company ISX. A riding buddy there had a Dainese.  Both were similar in style (mixed mesh and solid cloth panels with armour).  The Dainese was probably a little more open (mesh wise) than the ISX. Equally OK for summer there and even back here in NZ.

Pants wise I had/have a pair of Draggin jeans (With Kevlar), which are a fairly standard cut, thou they do have several styles. Also have a pair of baggy jeans that have internal leather lining, butt and knees, plus internal knee pad inserts which aren't obviously visible due to the baggy style. (Sorry no brand, found them in a specials bin one day).I can wear these easily over my long or short boots.

Can't help with boot info as I don't have MX'ers
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colonel Nikolai

I once wiped out on the street wearing these covered with a perforated leather jacket and a set of Aborwear jeans (made for lumberjacks, super-tough)

Torso (Thor Impact Rig):
http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/images/20 ... al_Red.jpg

Hips, legs (Alpinstars Compression Shorts):
https://www.euromotoaz.com/store/images ... /11641.jpg

Boots (Sidi Combat Touring, an lighter offroad boot):
http://www.policesuit.com/images/400_1as.jpg

Saved my life. Cool in the summer, too. I always pack a set of lightweight rain covers that will make this setup waterproof in a few seconds.

This is the most compromise you can really make, to me. No amount of sweat is worth avoiding for when you go down.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "akey"Your right about the sublime bit, as you can see I have gathered a whole bunch of kit over the years, including 3/4 jacket but its just too hot at times.

The main reason for wanting to use MX kit is ite very breathable and I am going touring in spain next year, so dont really want to be spending most of the day in my leather suit.

I am also taking the old girle for a bit of trail riding in the sping so would like something a bit lighter than my winter enduro pants.

I do have road boots and kit, but also have the MX kit for off roading with my daughter.

As for the boots, I prefer MX boots to road boots, just feel a hell of a lot more secure than road boots, and pretty sure I am less likely to twist, damage or otherwise break my ankles in MX boots when I drop the big ol girl (in fact I already know this from the last time I dropped her and she landed on my ankle, pretty sure the Dominators stopped any injury to the ankle).

So from the looks of it, its the kevlar jeans tucked in then!!

I'd say gear wise i'm a bit further down the road so to speak,3/4 armoured jackets?? i have 3,all used for different reasons,be it freezing my buns off on the way to Le-Mans in April,to crossing Spain mid summer,the reason it has to be a 3/4, is pockets,when your on the road in Europe,not matter what,things like passports/money/glasses/keys the list is endless stay with you,the boot thing!!there are plenty of quality road boots,without the clod hopping hassle of motocross boots,a couple of weeks in Spain/SoF at mid 30's temp will cure you,i've sat on the side of the motorway in the SoF and debated with my wife about taking the screen off and dumping it,and buying another when we got home.

Travelling Europe is an art form with the weather,normal weather,road race gloves,wet weather XXL Marigolds with motocross gloves inside,warm weather motocross gloves,we have used that set up for over 20 years,only in the last few months things have changed,don't need either race gloves or Marigolds,just a pair of Alpinestars 365's and motocross gloves,the R+D never stops!!!!!

Waterproof bike gear!!! no such thing it will leak given time and enough rain,we always carry unlined jackets and trousers go over the top of our gear,it's the insurance that keeps us dry over a 500 mile day in the rain,(oh yes it does happen)and the jacket is an extra piece of clothing for going to the bar at night.

Take the lineing out of your 3/4 buy a quality fleece intead,it doubles up on what you can wear.

And if you parden me for digressing,when it comes to packing and getting lots into a small space and being dry!! Vacum bags,my wifes idea we've used e'm for some years now,hence why we never use(need) panniers

flux

Don't they have mesh riding gear over there?  Motocross pants do not have any real abrasion resistance if you go down on asphalt.

Personally, I do not believe that 4-season gear exists.  Not here in GA, anyway.  After years of trying to find it, I have given up and I think I have a pretty good collection put together now, depending on season:  

SUMMER
PANTS:  I have a pair of Olympia Airglides that have served me well in the hot steamy southern United States in the summer... and they zip off into shorts for once you're off the bike walking around... no need to pack an extra pair of shorts!  They are a HUGE space saver in and of themselves.  If rain is expected, I carry a cheap pair of rainpants from Dick's Sporting Goods that folds into their own rear pocket... they have kept me bone dry in the worst rains.

JACKET:  I choose between by Hein Gericke Tuareg (minus the liner) for serious days in the saddle or my Olympia Patton for jaunts around town or errand running.  The HG is more versatile because of it's venting zippers rather than being a mesh jacket like the Patton.  What I like about the Patton is that all high-impact zones are actually Cordura panels instead of mesh... I don't really trust mesh all that much in a fall.  Neither of them are waterproof so I tote my Triumph Chevron jacket if rain is forecasted... it has no vents so it's hot but I do stay dry.  

GLOVES:  I seem to go through gloves more than I care to but right now I swap between a pair of deerskin gloves bought at Tractor Supply of all places and some summer gloves from Alpinestars (a very over-rated company but I get a good price on them).  I love my deerskins... everyone should try a pair at least once.  Aerostich Triple Digits keep me dry in rain

HELMET:  Airoh dual sport helmet, whatever it is called.  The jury is still out on this one.  I love the field of vision, the fact I can fit a camelbak hose under it, the visor, and the venting.  I hate the head shake and noise (even with plugs in).  

BOOTS:  TCX (formerly Oxtar) Infinities.  Pretty good protection offroad and comfy enough to walk around in all day.  Most importantly, the Goretex membrane keeps me feet dry in rain and stream fords.  

WINTER
PANTS:  Hein Gericke Tuareg pants keep me dry AND toasty.  It has a removable quilted liner for the coldest of days.  Only drawback is there are no vents (part of the whole 'dry' thing) so if the day ends up getting warmer I am screwed.  No big deal though.  Riding motorcycles, and especially adventure/dualsports, is all about compromise.

COAT:  I just got an amazing deal earlier this year from Paul at BMG on a Belstaff Discovery jacket and I have been really REALLY happy with it so far.  This thing is toasty warm and waterproof.  Removable neck gaitor is a great touch.  Plenty of pockets and a nice removable liner.  No need to carry a rain coat.  I also own a Tourmaster heated liner which is the cat's pajamas.  If it's not gonna be bone-chilling cold, I put the liner in my HG Tuareg jacket and roll out.  It soaks up water like a sponge though so if rain is expected I don the Disco.  

GLOVES:  I switch between the deerskins with heated grips on the bike and my Gerbings heated gloves for when it's really cold out.  

HELMET:  That Airoh dualsport helmet SUCKS in the cold.  SUCKS.  I have been wearing my wife's old school Shoei TZ-1, which has minimal features but might just be the quietest helmet in the world.  No buffeting at speed.  It's just a little too tight though so I need to pony up for one of my own here soon.  

BOOTS:  The Infinities are my year-round footgear.  Great boots and worth every penny.  

Hope this helps... man... I did not mean to get so long-winded!   :oops:

akey

Chris,

Thanks for all the useful info.  Vacum bags are great, I have used them in the military for getting kit into a rucksack for years (just cant use the vacum cleaner to compress them).  For underwear or smaller items like tee shirt you can use ziplock bags, leave do the ziplock up 3/4s kneel on the bag to get rid of air then seal up, similar to the vacum bags but smaller - great.

So its MX gear when hitting the trails then and for europe touring road boots, kevlar jeans and mesh jacket with waterproofs to go over the top.  Can't see myself using the race suit for touring somehow, might even chuck it up on fleabay.

Once again thanks for all the answers fellas.

Sin_Tiger

My hot weather gear out here is Komine. their new range has mesh jackets with removable waterproof liners that don't add a lot of bulk or heat when moving. They also do mesh riding trousers with full armour that I occasionally use over a light trousers if I am going somewhere that I don't want to wear my Draggin jeans into and they go over the tops of my Tour / MX boots (similar to TCX Infinity) without looking stupid.

I'm impressed with their stuff, it's top quality, reasonably priced, they listen to customer feedback and they understand seasonal riding.

The latest frank Thomas stuff looks really good and has all the versatility you might need and the style not to look too out of place on the Tiger.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint