News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Had an interesting meeting with our Triumph RM yesterday...

Started by flux, December 19, 2009, 09:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

This is a picture of the the old TS 125 Prospector.

If you look toward the back of the motor, down near the bottom of the sump in this picture, you can see a funny-looking rocker-like thing sticking up that was the "switch" for the trail versus street settings for the 5 gears (it was 5, not six, sorry). I remember it was amazing.

If Triumph did this, they would destroy the competition with cunning regarding the adventure touring niche. Of course it wouldn't be worth it as much on a bike weighing over 200 kg, hence the 675 would ideal for this. Plus all the other reasons a 675 would be the real deal.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

flux

I would write a letter to Triumph USA personally.  

Triumph Motorcycles (America) Ltd.
385 Walt Sanders Memorial Drive
Suite 100
Newnan, Georgia 30265

Colonel Nikolai

Regarding the 1050: I agree with you HappyMan: they will make likely more money on the 1050 motor. Sadly I am of the opinion for more evolved riders, these extra cc's are not the best place for them: YAGNI (Ya Ain't Gonna Need It), but you'll have to lug that bike over the ruts and 'boards anyway.

I did multiple test rides on the F800GS: I was all set to get one before I bought the Steamer I have now. The reason I caved and bought the Steamer is it felt a lot like the F800GS and was 1/6th the price. But the F800GS weighs around 175 kg! For a real offroad-capable machine, 175 kg is still too heavy. On the other hand someone told me once what "DR" means in the Suzuki DR650. "Don't Ride". It rattles your B0ll0cks off over 60 mph: not fun crossing continents on it.

The bike that tries to do it all might end up doing nothing well and pleasing nobody. The market is filled with big pigs similar to the BMW R1200GS, so I think it might make sense for Triumph to go the other way and try for a street-exciting machine that can do better than the average "Adventure Touring" bike offroad. This includes traveling lighter and having some kind of insane "edge" like a dual tranny found on the bygone Suzuki TS.

Just my $0.02.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

JetdocX

And REAL FOOKIN' SUSPENSION for a refreshing change, please.  I'll pay the extra $$ for a turn-key bike.

I've ridden KTM 950/990's and both the 1200 and 800 GS bikes.  I'd never take a 1200GS in the dirt.  Too expensive, too heavy.  Props to those who do.  Riding my own pig in the dirt is work enough for me.

The maintenance on the KTM makes my Steamer look like a walk in the park.  No F'ing way I'm dealing with that mess. :evil:   I wish they would bring us the 690 Adventure.  The suspension on both the 990/950's and a 640 I rode were butery smooth in the nastiest rock gardens.  No comparison exists in the BMW or Triumph range.

The 800GS is a very nice compromise, in my opinion.  Except the price and the required dealer support.  Der Korp does not wish you to work on your own bike.  If you cannot get along with your local dealer (my case) this bike will probably not be the right choice for you.  And in the intangible area, the 800GS had very little soul when I rode it.  The exhaust note from the stock pipe sounds like a beer fart as well. :lol:
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

Personally, what I love about my Steamer is the mix of road and off road capabilities, the ability to haul the missus around and the strong engine.   From what I understand the 675 engine makes similar power numbers to a 855 / 955 engine.  

675 in a daytona = 104Bhp
855 steamer = 84Bhp
955 tiger = 104Bhp
1050 in a tiger = 113Bhp
R1150GS = 85Bhp
R1200GS = 105Bhp
F800GS = 85Bhp

The difference will be torque I guess.

Never wanted more power.  If I want that kinda power/speed thing I jump on the 955i Daytona and lash around with 130 Bhp.  Which normally scares the sh*t out of me.

The reason I want less weight is that riding is much easier with a light bike - especially off road...

This 5+5 gear ratio thing.  Col Nic can you shed a bit more light on this?  Is it just adjusting the primary drive ratio so you get two sets of 'speeds' like on a land rover?  What are the benefits for riding off road?  Would it not be easier to have a seven speed box with a broad spread of ratios?

If a 1050 off road tiger is a real possibility, then perhaps a power switch like you get on the new ducati is in order.  Perhaps road = 130 Bhp, Rain mode = 100 Bhp, Off road = 75Bhp but with more torque?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"EB, the dual tranny discussion didn't make an impression?

Every-body-wants-to-rule-the-world.

Not really, but remember I don't have any interest in riding mine in the dirt. I see the appeal for a lighter weight 675 for the riders that crave a bad ass dual sport bike, but that's not me.

I also don't have a another bike to ride on long trips and commutes.  I like my Tiger because it has the touring ability, weight, and power to take me on long trips at interstate speeds, not just through the plains of Kansas :)

If Triumph did make a 675 Tiger and the 1050 Tiger in tandem I'm sure that would be the best of both worlds, but I don't know where I'd be looking for my next bike if they quit making a touring friendly tiger.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

flux

Nobody said anything about them ceasing production of the touring-based Tiger...

EvilBetty

Well if they are just simply adding another bike to the line up then then that would be awesome!

Even if the 1050 Tiger as we now it became some different model and the 675 retained the Tiger badge it wouldn't upset me much.  The Tiger has it's roots with the dirt friendly bike after all.

JetdocX

Quote from: "EvilBetty"
Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"EB, the dual tranny discussion didn't make an impression?

Every-body-wants-to-rule-the-world.

Not really, but remember I don't have any interest in riding mine in the dirt. I see the appeal for a lighter weight 675 for the riders that crave a bad ass dual sport bike, but that's not me.

I also don't have a another bike to ride on long trips and commutes.  I like my Tiger because it has the touring ability, weight, and power to take me on long trips at interstate speeds, not just through the plains of Kansas :)

If Triumph did make a 675 Tiger and the 1050 Tiger in tandem I'm sure that would be the best of both worlds, but I don't know where I'd be looking for my next bike if they quit making a touring friendly tiger.

There are plenty of street bikes for you to choose from, EB.  Why not buy one of those?  This segment is way over-represented  in my opinion.  I have both a street only bike (which I have ridden on dirt roads :shock: ) and the Tiger that I can take literally everywhere I want to go to a point.

I guess my point is, the Steamers are getting old, maybe it's time to bring back something like this with FI and less weight (fer chrissakes!).  Power is fine on my Tiger and manageable.

The power switch thingy is bullshit.  My street bike has three "maps".  I use one.  Power management is a right wrist thing, IMO.  I'll manage the power just fine, thank you very much.  You really don't want the computer doing this for you, trust me.   :lol:   We're all grown-ups here, right?

If you can't manage the power your bike makes or don't possess the mental disciple to do so, maybe a lower-powered bike is for you and I'm behind you 110%.  If I had this kind of power on tap at 16 years old, I'd be dead long before now.
From parts unknown.

HappyMan

Quote from: "JetdocX"If I had this kind of power on tap at 16 years old, I'd be dead long before now.

Yeah!!  But what a way to go!!!! :headbang
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

EvilBetty

Quote from: "JetdocX"There are plenty of street bikes for you to choose from, EB.  Why not buy one of those?  This segment is way over-represented  in my opinion.  I have both a street only bike (which I have ridden on dirt roads :shock: ) and the Tiger that I can take literally everywhere I want to go to a point.

Maybe so, but the Tiger is the only bike that "fits" me.  The sport touring bikes all feel like a clown car.  The the 2008 Tiger was the first bike I ever sat on that felt right.  And I haven't found an equal since.  Actually, my 2005 Tiger does seem to fit a bit better... and it's price point was much better at the time :)

I didn't mean to belittle or dissuade the 675 discussion.  I just wanted to voice my minority opinion of praise for the way the Tiger line has been proceeding.  There are a TON of street bikes of every type, but I've found very few that work for taller riders like myself and are still highway and twisty worthy.  For me the Tiger fit the bill.

Bixxer Bob

There's a few folks (my sister and her husband for a start) who'd like a 1050 / 675 pairing with similar capability like the 1200 / 800 GS but without the running costs.  Despitye being in her early 50s she can manage the weight because she's very fit, but - whichever way you cut it - her legs are just too short for her to manage a big bike.

She rides a Triumph Adveturer simply for the very low seat.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cosmo

I'd like to see a taller top gear. As it is (06 Girly), sixth just lowers the road rpm a smidge, whereby the HPproduced could see it lowered a lot, for better MPG. Raising the O/A gearing is the only way to go right now (I've done that, 42 tooth rear), but that takes away the dig on the bottom, as well as abuses the clutch.

The 5 + 5 on the Suzuki was probably like the 5 + 5 on the later Honda 900 Custom from about '79 - a set of gears on the output shaft. Think of it like the axle shift on medium-duty trucks, you've a low range and a high range.

I still think a six-speed set up with an O/D-like top gear would serve the best interests of all, without all that complication. Face it, no one uses top gear in the dirt, and who amongst us has not found themselves in fifth on the motorway, happily humming along for miles, until discovering that we forgot to upshift that last time?? I know I have been there.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

brad1098

You have to look at it from a marketing perspective.  There aren't alot of us out there.  Triumph is clearly in the "steal some of the h-d market" frame of mind.  Look at nearly every promotional shot they put out....Cruisers and guys in black leather.

However with that aside I am all for a 675 Tiger.  The Girly is at the top end of my comfortable riding weight and size.  Actually nobody has mentioned again from a marketing perspective a 675 tiger ds and the easy factory option 675 tiger supermoto.  That would be a whole new market for Triumph.  They should have already came out with the ds1050. My opinion is they will not do it and the 675 tiger is a pipe dream.

In a few years it may be a F800 for me.  Or to the ultimate 2 bike setup of Husky 610 and Concourse14.  Still need that Scrambler though!
02 black-Lorna

Mustang

Quote from: "brad1098"You have to look at it from a marketing perspective. There aren't alot of us out there. Triumph is clearly in the "steal some of the h-d market" frame of mind.  Look at nearly every promotional shot they put out....Cruisers and guys in black leather.

My opinion is they will not do it and the 675 tiger is a pipe dream.

ding ding ding I think we have a winner................I'm with Brad , if it was  going to happen it would already be .

Rocket 3's Bonnevilles and now the Thunderbird are where their focus is .