News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Had an interesting meeting with our Triumph RM yesterday...

Started by flux, December 19, 2009, 09:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruzzi

While some of the ideas like dual speed transmission is kind of neat, if triumph makes a bike like this, or even a dirt worthy 1050, they're not going to stray too far from the basic hardware.  On the 1050, chances are it would be an accessory exercise+different wheels.  On a 675, the drivetrain would look a lot like the street triple+ longer suspension+different wheels.  No way they are going to build a new engine casing to accommodate the dual speed setup.

I do think the 1050 is more likely.  Just look at the market.  The 1200GS is BMWs best seller.  KTM killed the 640 adventure, and even when they did make it the imported about 200 per year to the US.  I myself would love a 675 based adventure bike, but I'm not holding my breath.

Geof

abruzzi

I should also add that I am glad for all those cruisers and other bikes that Triumph makes since Triumph is probably the only bike manufacturer that is actually growing and selling more bikes, while HD is down 84% and Suzuki isn't going to import 2010 models because there is too much 2009 inventory left.

Geof

flux

Quote from: "abruzzi"I should also add that I am glad for all those cruisers and other bikes that Triumph makes since Triumph is probably the only bike manufacturer that is actually growing and selling more bikes, while HD is down 84% and Suzuki isn't going to import 2010 models because there is too much 2009 inventory left.

Geof

You are right that Triumph is one of the only few manufacturers that is still growing.  

As for Suzuki, they have not yet released what will be available for 2010, because, yes, there are a ton of 2009's still out there.  But that is not to say they will not import 2010 models at all.  

We sell Triumph, Yamaha, and Suzuki.  

We have only two streetbikes from Suzuki here and a few dirtbikes.  The only Suzukis people ever come in for are GSXR's and Busas.  That's it.  

People loking for Yamahas are looking at Grizzlies, Rhinos, and Stars.  Not a lot else.  

Folks coming in looking for Triumph are cool because someone looking for a Triumph wants a Triumph and isn't considerring other makes.  They typically also either have cash or can actually qualify for financing.  In the Triumph line, I have noticed that most people are into the Rocket 3 or the Speed Triple.  I also have a lot of activity on the Scrambler, but most people just see it as a curiosity... not so much of a "I want it" attitude.  Very very few people come interested in a Tiger.  I try to get everyone to sit on it, most do, but most don't know what it's purpose is.  This is just honest feedback from what I have learned after a month in the selling game.  

Just my feedback...

Mustang

Quote from: "flux"Very very few people come interested in a Tiger.  I try to get everyone to sit on it, most do, but most don't know what it's purpose is.  This is just honest feedback from what I have learned after a month in the selling game.  

Just my feedback...
This is why you probably will never see anything other than the current Tiger for US sales ....

HappyMan

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "flux"Very very few people come interested in a Tiger.  I try to get everyone to sit on it, most do, but most don't know what it's purpose is.  This is just honest feedback from what I have learned after a month in the selling game.  

Just my feedback...
This is why you probably will never see anything other than the current Tiger for US sales ....

We can't forget that we are really the minority, at least here in the US.  
We are riders that care about what we ride, how we ride and we ride out of passion and in many cases because it's our main form of transportation.  In my opinion the majority of cyclists in the US ride because they want to look cool or it's a nice hobby for the weekend.  They don't ride far and they don't spend much time learning to ride or learning to improve their skills.  I'm not cutting them down and they are a legitimate part of the market force.

However, while we may be important to Triumph they still need to sell to the market willing to pay for their bikes. After all, people with disposable incomes have disposable hobbies and are willing to spend the money that's needed to put food on the table of Triumph's employees and it's re-sellers.  I'm a capitalist and I get that!!  I'd sure love some of that disposable income....but I digress.  

I do believe our voices can be heard and it's important to let Triumph know how we feel but we need to keep it realistic or they will never listen.  It just becomes white noise.  As a business owner myself I listen to plenty of committees and each of the individuals have their own wish list and their own ideas about what they want but in the end they have to come to a consensus on what they agree to and go with that. They can never afford their dreams.  Or at least not all of the committee member's dreams at one time.  It's still good to dream so we have an idea of the big picture but then we've got to come back down to reality and build on that.  

We need to look at this the same way but be realistic.  As stated earlier, building off of the same frame with options is the most likely thing to happen and quite frankly the smartest thing a business looking to stay alive financially can do.  So let's give them good ideas but not pipe dreams.  Give them something that would make us happy but don't expect the perfect bike.  After all, that's really why we have after market companies.  It's not because the manufacturer couldn't do it.  It's just that the mass market couldn't afford every detail and the consumer would never agree on those details.  We buy accessories because we want to get the bike closer to our dreams.  I'm glad I have that choice.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Colonel Nikolai

Too true, HappyMan. Maybe what we should ask for is something they can sell to the masses and something we can farkle / accessorize as easily as possible to get what we want. So what this means is we need to paint in broad strokes.

The broadest strokes I can think of is:

1) less weight
2) good clearance
3) long legs (suspension)
4) a frame that has obvious places to add guards, not the science projects we have now where making engine guards is a high-tech affair that costs a lot aftermarket and therefore nobody makes them in a few years.

This is kind of the playbook of Harley, where some of the big money is actually long after the bike sale is made.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

HappyMan

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Too true, HappyMan. Maybe what we should ask for is something they can sell to the masses and something we can farkle / accessorize as easily as possible to get what we want. So what this means is we need to paint in broad strokes.

The broadest strokes I can think of is:

1) less weight
2) good clearance
3) long legs (suspension)
4) a frame that has obvious places to add guards, not the science projects we have now where making engine guards is a high-tech affair that costs a lot aftermarket and therefore nobody makes them in a few years.

This is kind of the playbook of Harley, where some of the big money is actually long after the bike sale is made.

Good list.  This gives them objectives that they can fill with whatever motor, drive train, etc. that makes sense to them.  

Add to that list a 19" front wheel so we can easily get tires to suit our needs.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

oxnsox

For me the Girly simply fits the way I use it. I like the high riding position and the torque is great, I certainly don't need more Horses. If I could improve it simply it would be by reducing its weight, changing the ratio on 6th for something taller, and perhaps improving the suspension.

If they were to make a 675 Tiger (Cub?)... Compared to a 1050 it would be good and light around town and a great commuter. If they got it right it would be great off tarmac too. Ultimately it would depend on the tune... get that right and it should be a winner.... I know my lady could be talked into one.

Currently she has a Versys, which I quite like, and ride more than her.  (Its certainly better in the city than the Girly because of its weight)  I've done some Touring days on it too... but right now if I was going to pick a Trumpy to ride round the world on, I think I'd pick a Scrambler, with a bit of farklin
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

flux

Quote from: "Mustang"

Just my feedback...

I agree to a point.  The problem with the Roadies is that people don't see them as an offroad capable bike... at all.  With a 675 (or 1050) machine purpose built to be taken offroad... well... folks would understand it's reason for existence.  

We all know the Roadie is a great bike, personally I love the thing, but you have to admit that it is kinda the red headed stepchild of the marque.  (no offense to red headed stepchildren!)  :D

Mustang

Even the first generation tigers (steamers ) were never meant for off road use according to Triumph themselves ............from the steamer owners manual , this is the very FIRST WARNING in a list of many

the next warning also tells you not to tow a trailer or mount a sidecar

good thing I can't read  :ImaPoser

flux

Now that's funny right there!   :D

JetdocX

Mustang it looks chilly there..... :shock:

That sticker is strangely absent from my Steamer, probably the root of all my problems with it (can we move this one to M&M, please?)

Happy Man, I don't see why we shouldn't ask for what we want.  All Triumph is going to build is cruisers next year anyhow, so what's the harm? :roll:
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

I think it fair to say that Triumph has recently concentrated on making cruisers, especially for the American market, but what you see in America isn't the full picture.  Triumph sell a lot of different bikes in Europe especially in Italy and in these markets, very few people ride cruiser-type bikes.  

Cruisers don't really make sense when your road network is all corners and no straights and the rain ruins your chrome.  In the UK especially, if you ride a cruiser (esp HD) you are bringing undue attention to yourself and that is usually regarded as somewhat indiscreet and ostentatious by most, to say the least....

One of the biggest selling bikes of all in Britain is the BMW R1200GS which outsells almost everything else bar the Yamaha YZR 125.  It does this by being a rugged, versatile bike that can go anwhere and tour, two-up, on road, off road, round the world, luggage options whatever.  It does this despite having a crap old fashioned engine, weird looks and being German, which while I admire many things German, isn't that cool when it comes to bikes.  

Imagine a handsome, sexy GS-like bike with a decent triple engine and less weight and weirdness - isn't that what we what in a tiger...?

Give us an adventure option to keep those with off road pretensions interested and everything's good.

Triumph are making interesting bikes right now and are doing well.  I think they are developing the balls required to take big manufacturers on head-to-head.  So I don't think that it's beyond comprehension that enough people contribute to Triumph, they will adjust future tigers to do what we want.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

I think the 1200GS shows the adventure market is too big to ignore, or why would BMW go to the trouble of building the 800GS or Ducati doing the new Multistrada, or Guzzi, blah blah....  I will never understand why Triumph took away the only credible, affordable alternative.  They either badly underestimated what the market was doing when they did the 1050 Tiger - I mean, it's not as hard as a Fazer or as strong as a Bandit - or they took the Tiger brand loyalty for granted and thought that we'd buy whatever they decided we should have.  If that's the case they should take a look at what die-hard Pan European riders are riding these days.  Honda gave itself a bloody nose with that heap of junk.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

flux

Is it possible to start a poll on this site?  

I'd be curious to see how many of us actually ride our bikes offroad.  A nice, simple, decisive consensus.