News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Had an interesting meeting with our Triumph RM yesterday...

Started by flux, December 19, 2009, 09:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

REGULATOR

Disclaimer:  I'm not an engineer, more of a mad scientist.

What if..... what if they could magically fit a 675 triple engine, into the
frame of a Scrambler or a steamer? ?   Only equip it with real offroad style forks and rear suspension (mono shock)  

oh imagine what you coudl do in the garage with the right pile of parts?
  shoot a wrecked 675 engine into a steamer frame and add some aftermarket plastics?  

a Modern day Steamer, with more off road capibility?
 do it..    what I'm saying is light weigth powerful engine, with a real frame that you could attach skidplates etc to.

Of course,  they could also make a tiger version of the street triple fairly easy..   but would it just compete with itself?

People said Triumph had no busniess in the 600cc supersport market either...   look at the 675..    Around the world many use Motorcycles as there main mode of transport and smaller CC = less insurance/reg fees

if Triumph made a GS Killer Tiger Id buy it,  If they made a 675 off road version Id buy it..  

I rode a 1050 Tiger and loved it,  But bought a 955, cause it had a bigger tank, and I wanted the ability to ride down crappy roads, go over curbs and go down any road I wanted to.      

Ive owned Sprint ST 955,  Daytona 600,

currently have a Rocket III set up as a super tourer and a Tiger with metal panniers.. I ride the Tiger almost daily to work... Love my rocket, but save it for the really long highway jaunts.   ( 500-5000 trips)

here is a pic without the sissy bar and lugage rack and rear seat etc...

at the drag strip...

My sprint,   this is the reason I wanted a tiger,  I constantly toured on my sprint and wanted to load it up and go down dirt roads as well

I love my 955,  now if it had real suspension and real off road capibilities without losing its all around-ness...   Id buy it
otherwise, I think I need to buy Heavy duty fork springs, and rear shocks!!

blacktiger

The 675 engine, as it is in the Street Triple, is far too tall to make it sensible to fit it into a DS bike.
The best DS bike Triumph could make easily at the moment would be a Scrambler ADV. It doesn't need much extra power but the Standard Scram does need longer suspension and a slightly bigger tank.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Tiger04

My dealer here in Belleville, IL. can never keep tigers in stock. He currently has only 2 pre-owned Tigers in stock at this time  2008 1050 with 5,600 miles and a 02 black Girly with 15,000 miles on her.
Henry
13 Tiger in Beautiful Sapphire Blue
"Tigers aren't for wimps"

oxnsox

Quote from: "blacktiger"The best DS bike Triumph could make easily at the moment would be a Scrambler ADV. It doesn't need much extra power but the Standard Scram does need longer suspension and a slightly bigger tank.
Since you've already got one, you'd have a good idea about how capable the Scrambler is.  For my tuppence I'd agree, this would be the easiest route for Triumph to make a rugged DS bike. There are already's exhaust kits and cams to get more power out of the engine, soo it's just better ground clearance and range.... and it'd be lighter too.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "REGULATOR"oh imagine what you coudl do in the garage with the right pile of parts?
  shoot a wrecked 675 engine into a steamer frame and add some aftermarket plastics?  

a Modern day Steamer, with more off road capibility?
 do it..    what I'm saying is light weigth powerful engine, with a real frame that you could attach skidplates etc to.

Those exact thoughts have been kicking around my head since I got the Steamer. No time sadly or I would be really tempted (where's that lottery ticket?), even with the Pilot Roads I found the Roadie coped remarkably well with farm tracks especially with my lack of gravel experience. Haven't heard of anybody fitting more agressive tyres, maybe due to the lack of availability  :?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

fishnbiker

Seems to me we also need the wire spoke rims back, tubeless.

What I really need is something to be as capable as my 95 Steamer on any road surface for long distance touring.with a whole lot less weight. Got too much camping gear for a heavy bike. 75 ~ 85 HP should be enough for all purposes if it gives more torque as well. More gearing options would be nice too...bigger spread on top gears, lower low gears
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Bixxer Bob

What're the two bottles in front of the downpipes Ken?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Looks like tool tubes...................

fishnbiker

The 2 "bottles" are a tool kit. 2 pieces of 3" ABS sewer pipe with screw on caps, about 12" long, glued together, then hose clamped onto the engine guard. Wrenches & sockets in a bag in one, screwdriver tips, pliers, tape, etc in the other. It keeps extra weight down & forward. I made up a wrench out of 1/8" plate steel to keep it it tight, keeping out sticky fingers ... 36mm, same size as needed for the steering head bearings. I tried one 4" tube, but ran into clearance problems with the front tire under severe fork loading. Less capacity also. Lots of other places to hide parts too. I uses the snorkel boxes for electrical & tire repair parts after going to a K&N airbox.

Photos available if wanted. BTW Mustang, thanks for the insight into the front sprocket cover. I can now change from 19 to 17 tooth front when starting serious gravel. Takes only 10 minutes now.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Nick Calne

Well in the Official Triumph Magazine that just plopped through my door yesterday, John Bloor was interviewed.  He was asked, "How do you see the market changing?"

He replied, "We know the speed triple naked market has grown a lot and we see that continuing.  The "enduro-type" market too."  (he means bmw gs)

Neither he, nor Digby Jones (chairman) in his separate interview, would be drawn on future models.  But can we permit ourselves the tiniest bit of hope that, on that recognising the enduro market has grown and with Triumph not having a "enduro-type" bike that one might just be on the horizon?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "fishnbiker"Lots of other places to hide parts too. I uses the snorkel boxes for electrical & tire repair parts after going to a K&N airbox.

You've got me interested now  :? do you mean you changed the actual airbox or just to a K&N filter?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Colonel Nikolai

QuoteYou've got me interested now Confused do you mean you changed the actual airbox or just to a K&N filter?

I think if you go to the K&N pods, you don't need the snorkels so they become storage. But that's just my guess.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"
QuoteYou've got me interested now Confused do you mean you changed the actual airbox or just to a K&N filter?

I think if you go to the K&N pods, you don't need the snorkels so they become storage. But that's just my guess.

That's what I was wondering but couldn't see from the pic.

Rocinante

Quote from: "REGULATOR"What if..... what if they could magically fit a 675 triple engine, into the frame of a Scrambler or a steamer? ?   Only equip it with real offroad style forks and rear suspension (mono shock)  

I think some of the mods Patrick Rielo did to the Tiger that I copied, could serve as a starting point for making a better off road Tiger.

Main points to me are the higher riding position (99 cm), higher bars (10 cm up), the lower weight (mine is 220 so far, while Rielo lowered his to 195 kg) and the much lower center of gravity, because much of the removed weight was sitting high up (rear frame, mufflers).

These mods are relatively cheap too, except maybe the exhaust.

I ride mine on snow these days, something I never dared to do before modding it. The higher position means I have a straighter leg when I sometimes must give it a push not to fall, and it means it's less work to transfer your weight through the foot pegs, faster and easier to stand up etc.

With a 675 engine in the frame, the weight would be reduced further. That could be a killer.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com