News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigers equal to GS?

Started by MikeBenzon, December 24, 2009, 06:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "Sasquatch"
Quote from: "abruzzi"I've taken the Tiger off pavement and off road, and it did it, but with the 640ADV, I decided to repurpose my Tiger as a street tourer, with enough dirt road capability to go that last mile if need be.

Geof

Exactly.  I now have a Tiger for street/mild off pavement and a KTM LC4 enduro 640 for anything more technical.

:iagree
this goes where tigers can only  dream of .................

fano

When Tiger was my only bike I took it anywhere I wanted to go. Actually it does much better off road that people give it a credit. It will definitely go everywhere GS will.

Since then I got couple other bikes and now I try to take the best bike for the occasion.

HappyMan

I Google Translated the name Fano.....it means "Balls of Steel" in Navajo.  You 'da man Fano!   8) You still inspire me.....
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

EvilBetty

Quote from: "Mustang":iagree

:shock:  Now you have me considering one...
http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/1523444618.html
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

tett

Quote from: "EvilBetty"
Quote from: "Mustang":iagree

:shock:  Now you have me considering one...
http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/1523444618.html

For $2500 I would bite.  We never see such nice deals in Canada.

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Advwannabe

Fantastic video Fano!

Brings to mind getting my Tigger up various hill or through creek beds, but often with a little help from my friends  8)

Great all roads bike, stick with that
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

blacktiger

Whenever I ride dirt in a group with GS riders, they nearly always lay down for a rest quite often.
I've never dumped my Tiger on dirt roads....yet but I'm sure that if I took it to places like Fano and Sasquatch do, it would be resting quite often too. However, having been bitten by the lack of reliability of an R100GS and seen to many modern BMWs with problems I'll vote unreservedly for a Girly Tiger any day.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Exactly.  I now have a Tiger for street/mild off pavement and a KTM LC4 enduro 640 for anything more technical.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there, can't speak for other languages but "off pavement" doesn't figure in biking Queens English (not that I can speak it) "off tarmac" doesn't really have the same ring to it "farm track" is probably the closest expersion we have but that has connotations of tractors etc.

Maybe Triumph will go the way Land Rover have, moving the Roadie "upmarket" to compete with the new Multistrada (150 bhp HS!) and bring in a Freelander (Tiger Track 675?) maybe this is a sub cat of the other thread.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oxnsox

QuoteMaybe Triumph will go the way Land Rover have.....
First thought when I read that..... was being owned by Tata.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Bring on the Enfields.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "oxnsox"
QuoteMaybe Triumph will go the way Land Rover have.....
First thought when I read that..... was being owned by Tata.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Bring on the Enfields.

I was thinking diesel...  :roll:

(Range Rover Vogue V8 Diesel, all the car you could ever want, pound-for-pound the best car in the world - Jeremy Clarkson)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

:roll: left myself wide open there.

I don't always agree with JC but he does make a good point on that score, or is it just me being an LR anorack  :lol:

Tata were trying to off load their recent purchases last time I looked. Enfield are doing quite nicely and about to increase their production facilities, if they can make it up the Himalayas in the hands of relative novices there must be something there.

Back OT, sort of. Does anyone know what the respective weights are of the 675 engine as opposed to the 1050? I think I have seen this question asked elsewhere but not a response.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

cwdrifter

Let's face it...both are 80% street bikes.  Just watch the shocks on the GS break and give up on dirt roads through out africa with Ewan & Charley on Long way down.  They have a parts truck following.  My old' SP600 with a kick starter would a gone the distance with half the weight.  I wouldn't think of taking the tiger on anything than a nice bladed dirt road.  If you drop it, well lets just say ...put it on its side gentley in the garage...now try and pick it up alone.  NOW imagine it is 'down hill' the wrong way.  I am in awe of some of the pics on this and ADV sight with guys off road on Tigers.  I ain't no slouch at 6-2 200lbs either.
85 Suzuki SP 600
IBA # 21941

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "cwdrifter"Let's face it...both are 80% street bikes.  Just watch the shocks on the GS break and give up on dirt roads through out africa with Ewan & Charley on Long way down.  They have a parts truck following.  My old' SP600 with a kick starter would a gone the distance with half the weight.  I wouldn't think of taking the tiger on anything than a nice bladed dirt road.  If you drop it, well lets just say ...put it on its side gentley in the garage...now try and pick it up alone.  NOW imagine it is 'down hill' the wrong way.  I am in awe of some of the pics on this and ADV sight with guys off road on Tigers.  I ain't no slouch at 6-2 200lbs either.

Speaking as one who's spent 15 minutes pinned to the garage wall by my kitty, I know what you mean.... :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Nick Calne

Yeah, you are right.  I've spent some time in the garage bench-pressing the tiger off me and can also confirm it's not light.   :oops:

(however this really made my daughter laugh - no sympathy for old men in my house...)

Somehow it's tallness / top heavyness makes it really hard to lift up too.  

Less weight please Triumph.  50kgs less in fact.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

NeilD

stop it, I'm having flashbacks of me on the shed floor, bike balanced on a block of wood and me wishing I had another pair of hands!!!  :D