News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Tension Setting

Started by Flying Tiger, August 03, 2004, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Tiger

When I purchased my Tiger, the dealer set the chain tension at about 1.3 inches while on the side stand.  But when I rode two up, I could tell the ride was stiff.  

A fellow biker mentioned that the chain tension should be set while a person of my weight sitting on the bike.  I don't think the manual didn't make a distinction.  Can someone enlighten me on the proper procedure on chain slack.  Should it be set with the bike preloaded or while it's on the side stand?

Thanks

NortonCharlie

My manual says to set the chain slack to about 1-5/8 inches when sitting on the side stand.  I have found that is to tight.  If put my weight on the seat at that adjustment the chain is tight.  Ideally you want about 1/4 to 1/2 inch slack at the chains tightest point.  I reach down and wiggle the chain when I am sitting on the seat.  it is good to roll the bike to find the tightest point on the chain.  I really need to get it adjusted right then take a hard measurement off the swingarm, so I can adjust it right the 1st time on the centerstand.

Hope this helped
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

RedMenace

Quote from: "Flying Tiger"When I purchased my Tiger, the dealer set the chain tension at about 1.3 inches while on the side stand.  But when I rode two up, I could tell the ride was stiff.  

A fellow biker mentioned that the chain tension should be set while a person of my weight sitting on the bike.  I don't think the manual didn't make a distinction.  Can someone enlighten me on the proper procedure on chain slack.  Should it be set with the bike preloaded or while it's on the side stand?

Thanks

I found for my 95 the factory recommendations were useless. Put the weight you would normally have on the bike(ie: rider and passenger) set the slack so the bottom run can move up and down a bit(maybe 1.5" overall) put on the centerstand and check the bottom run in several places for excessive slop or tight spots. Recheck several spots around the length of the chain with the bike laden for tight spots. If you get it so it has no tight spots when the suspension is compressed and no places where it slaps other bike bits or can snatch or hop a sprocket whith the suspension extended you are good. Sorry, I don't bother with precise measurements and it is more of a feel or judgement thing, but it aint rocket science. Following the book yielded a tight chain with the suspension compressed and also after a long slog when the chain got hot, so I don't use the book for that anymore.
The Red Menace

Flying Tiger

OK,  thank you for the tips and additional information on the chain tension adjustment.  I appreciate your help.

Chris Canning

As Red said,forget the book!!,sit on the bike lean down and check the chain with the correct wieght on it,i've found the setting for rideing one up is to tight two up, and vice versa.

Without getting all anal,the reason!! the Tiger doesn't(900i-955i)  have a linkage system like most Jap bike bikes so it isn't a Riseing Rate set up,and hence you have to ajust it for the correct wieght,a little gem that Triumph are happy to ignore.

The beauty is with the Triumph ajusters(05 excluded!!) it's a 30 second job.

Chris

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Without getting all anal,the reason!! the Tiger doesn't(900i-955i)  have a linkage system like most Jap bike bikes so it isn't a Riseing Rate set up,and hence you have to ajust it for the correct wieght,a little gem that Triumph are happy to ignore.

Chris

Chris,

Whether it's a rising rate system or not has nothing to do with chain adjustment.

A chain should be adjusted to give a bit of slack when the centres of the gear box sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the wheel spindle are all in a straight line. This is where the chain is going to be at its tightest.

Usually though it is impossible to get your bike into this position because the bike normally rides with the wheel spindle lower than that line so manufacturers have to suggest a different method of checking it. i.e. so many mm of slack when sitting on the side stand.

Chris Canning

Black Tiger

We'll have to disagree!!!,all the Jap bikes have a linkage system and thats why you don't have bugger about from one to two up,the problem is the fact that Triumph do frame to swingarm direct,most bikes that go that route are real offroaders so the problem of more wieght(two up) doesn't come into it.

Even Kawasaki in the late seventies early eighties had hassle with their Unitrack Motocrossers untill they got the linkage ratio right .

Chris

RedMenace

Quote from: "Blacktiger"

A chain should be adjusted to give a bit of slack when the centres of the gear box sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the wheel spindle are all in a straight line. This is where the chain is going to be at its tightest.

Usually though it is impossible to get your bike into this position because the bike normally rides with the wheel spindle lower than that line so manufacturers have to suggest a different method of checking it. i.e. so many mm of slack when sitting on the side stand.[/quote
Have two people sit on your bike and take a look at the swingarm angle :roll:

Tigers need a little more slack in the chain than you might be used to with a street bike, probably because of the amount of suspension travel and the length of the swingarm.
The Red Menace

Badger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"The beauty is with the Triumph ajusters(05 excluded!!) it's a 30 second job.

Chris

Chris

I have never adjusted the chain on a Tiger before and although I have an 04 bike I seem to have an 05 manual. I checked my chain last night and it is too tight. Could you run me through the procedure including how to keep the wheel alignment correct and also the torque settings. Thanks in advance.

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Chris Canning

Hi Bob

It's a doddle!!,bike on center stand,undo both locking bolts on the excentric ajusters,put 12mm allen key in the either side it doesn't matter and ajust accordingly,no need to worry about wheel alignment,thats a problem only the 05 owners have!!!,lock up both ajuster bolts,takes longer to get your tool kit out than it does to do it.

Chris

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Black Tiger

We'll have to disagree!!!,all the Jap bikes have a linkage system and thats why you don't have bugger about from one to two up,the problem is the fact that Triumph do frame to swingarm direct,most bikes that go that route are real offroaders so the problem of more wieght(two up) doesn't come into it.

Even Kawasaki in the late seventies early eighties had hassle with their Unitrack Motocrossers untill they got the linkage ratio right .

Chris

NO, NO, NO! Chris, you're really showing your ignorance here!

Chain tension has NOTHING to do with linkages and ALL to do with the way the swingarm swings in relation to the pivot and the gearbox sprocket.

The linkages DO NOT alter the swingarm length.

As I wrote before. The maximum chain length occurs when the gearbox sprocket, the swingarm pivot and the wheel spindle are all in line. This has NOTHING to do with linkages at all. If fact , you could set your chain tension with no linkages or shock absorber fitted to the bike!!!!!!!

You also contradict yourself......"most bikes that go that route are real off-roaders"        So did Kawasaki change from a "unilever" to a direct system? NO!

It's only VERY recently that KTM with WP assistance went to their "PDS" system.

Just about every other "off-roader" has a rising rate system of some kind.

Now go away and study the geometry and design of your bike and come back and acknowledge that you don't know what you're talking about.

Quote from: "RedMenace"Have two people sit on your bike and take a look at the swingarm angle :roll: .

Perhaps you need to adjust the preload first!! You know? To restore the correct ride height!

Or are one of those twits that adjusts the headlamp when they put a passenger on it! And then wonders why it doesn't steer the same as when solo.

You know. I'm amazed at how many owners don't know the first thing about how to set up and adjust THEIR bike.

Now, some people might think that my last two posts are a bit confrontational. Well, go out to the garage and sit down and study the design of the bike. Think it through, before replying with a hot head.

I know I'm right.

Trust me, I'm a mechanical engineering designer.

RedMenace

Quote from: "Blacktiger"Now, some people might think that my last two posts are a bit confrontational. Well, go out to the garage and sit down and study the design of the bike. Think it through, before replying with a hot head.

I know I'm right.

Trust me, I'm a mechanical engineering designer.

An engineer? -that accounts for your social skills.

As for setting the the preload, come over here and have a look at my bike before you start flapping your gums. Buy me a custom shock, a bit longer and stiffer springs and we can talk about it, but for my application additional preload will not accomplish anything positive.

What I was getting at, and if you look at a Steamer, you will see that I am not far off the mark, the swing arm and sprockets line up about the way you recommend at near full compression and a fully laden bike will get you close enuf that, with some slack, you can avoid setting it up with the chain too tight. Recheck for excessive slop  with the suspension extended and it will be good enough.  It doesn't take an engineer to adjust your chain. And the manual is wrong for this bike.
The Red Menace

Badger

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Hi Bob

It's a doddle!!,bike on center stand,undo both locking bolts on the excentric ajusters,put 12mm allen key in the either side it doesn't matter and ajust accordingly,no need to worry about wheel alignment,thats a problem only the 05 owners have!!!,lock up both ajuster bolts,takes longer to get your tool kit out than it does to do it.

Chris

Any idea on the torque settings for the locking bolts? Does the wheel spindle need to be loosened?

Not wishing to put any more fuel on the fire of this debate on suspension but as someone said earlier the chain slack should be the same for any load. The preload adjustment is there so that the static sag of the suspension can be set. The ride height should be kept the same irrespective of load.

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully