News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Tension Setting

Started by Flying Tiger, August 03, 2004, 03:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMenace

Quote from: "Blacktiger"
Quote from: "RedMenace"It seems our real difference here is I was trying to describe how one might actually check the chain tension, rather than rely upon what some engineer had come up with :wink:

Well here's my method :-....oh, I always do it on the centre stand.

Push the chain upwards in the centre of the lower run, and if the chain JUST touches the plastic chain guide underneath the front of the swingarm then I find it just right.

Thanx for the info- I think I will try your method and see how it compares with mine. I bet we both end up in the useable range.

Quote from: "Blacktiger"Oh! And by the way. Without engineers and designers, you wouldn't have a bike to ride. So pay attention. You might learn something useful.

That's all I'm TRYING to do ; dispell misconceptions and put people right. Of course, if you want to go through life doing things wrong and wondering why things break, carry on as you are.

Of course you are right. But then again, it was engineers and designers that came up with the airbox, the alternator, the starter and the sprocket cover on my Tiger, so forgive me if I don't interpret  "I am an engineer" to mean "my wisdom is that of God Himself" :lol:

But I am quite serious when I say I would like to hear what you and others here have to say about suspension setup. Please do start a thread!
The Red Menace

Quote from: "RedMenace"Of course you are right. But then again, it was engineers and designers that came up with the airbox, the alternator, the starter and the sprocket cover on my Tiger,

Sounds like you've got a steamer. If so my method might not work 'coz I've got a 955i. Your geometry might be slightly different.

Worthwhile trying it though.

TigerTim

Quote from: "RedMenace"......... If so my method might not work 'coz I've got a 955i. Your geometry might be slightly different.

What model year is your 955i, as I'm wondering if I can apply your method to my 2005 model Tiger?

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

ArizonaKid

Somewhere in this string there was a comment about not having to worry about rear wheel alignment except when referring to the 05's (which have gone back to a more traditional approach to chain adjustment mechanisms). At any rate, the comment is incorrect. You can and should check the rear wheel alignment and adjust it as per the manual. Each side IS adjustable by removing the safety clips and loosening the spindle (after loosening the clamp bolts). Once that's done you need to line up the appropriate index marks on BOTH sides independently, making sure they're both in the same place and then re-tighten the spindle. At that point you can adjust the chain as described and both sides will rotate together.

By the way, my manual says to adjust the chain with the bike on the centerstand (I have one on mine) and to adjust it to about 1 1/2" (there's a range listed, but 1 1/2" is in the middle) at it's tightest point.  Seems to work okay for me. . .   Better a bit too loose than too tight.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Chris Canning

Arizona

I made that comment and i stick by it,haveing had a life time of messing with ajusterers on either side of the swingarm,and assumeing the stamped marks are correct!!!!,you've still got the hassle of doing one side and then the other on the 05,and being an old fashioned kind of person!! means useing a piece of string to line the wheels up, with the early swingarm your saved that problem,the new swing arm is nice to look at,but the ajusters are a throw back from years ago,so much for progress!!!

Chris

Quote from: "TigerTim"
Quote from: "RedMenace"......... If so my method might not work 'coz I've got a 955i. Your geometry might be slightly different.

What model year is your 955i, as I'm wondering if I can apply your method to my 2005 model Tiger?

Regards

Tim

It's a 2002. So I'm not sure about your new swingarm thing.

With regard to the wheel alignment thing. The advantage of the eccentric adjusters is that adjusting the chain tension doesn't alter the wheel alignment so long as the spindle is kept clamped up.

Quote from: "Chris Canning"the new swing arm is nice to look at,but the ajusters are a throw back from years ago,so much for progress!!!

Chris

Probably find it's a cost thing. Isn't the "new" arm also used on the RS and the 600 Daytona?