News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HELP! New batt, turn the key, no headlights, no start.

Started by Colonel Nikolai, January 24, 2010, 04:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

Ok I've tried running the positive cable to an installed battery from the starter relay with a few small sparks but no turn over. Is my starter relay hosed, then? I also tried this trick withthe connector below the relay contacts to the same effect.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bixxer Bob

Did you try turning the motor over by hand to make sure it was free?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Colonel Nikolai

I didn't try that: I will. It's just that the bike was running PERFECTLY right before it was shut off so it just seems really far fetched that the engine would be seized or something.

Colonel Nikolai

However when I turn the key it sounds like an electrical fire near the instrument cluster.

Bixxer Bob

Sounds like a short.

I didn't want to wade straight in with the big scare ideas that's why I asked if it was free.  My thoughts were that if your sprag gave up (which we all know is big bucks so I didn't want to bring it up) and somehow jammed the engine the electrics would then fry themselves trying to turn it over.  

Still wanting to be positive though, my sister's Legend had a problem similar to yours and the dealer cleaned up all the contacts, changed the battery and it was fine.  I had a sprag go on my Trident (same motor as Steamer) and it didn't jam, it just spun up with a light clicking noise.

Here's hoping I'm way off.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Colonel Nikolai

Yeah I think it's a short, too, but now that you put that idea in my head ... I ... think I need to go an lie down for a quarter of an hour or something. :(

I stripped the entire body off and I've opened up the wiring harnesses to look for problems. I don't see anything except the harness is pretty hacked up by yours truly since much of it was naffed up by a large hunk of wild game that went through the front end in 2006. Never been a problem since, but who knows.

I'll try to turn the engine from the back wheel. Thanks. (gulp)

Bixxer Bob

Colonel Nikolai

Okay bad news. The engine appears to be seized. I think we do in fact have a total sprague clutch failure.

Got the bike off the centerstand. Ran it down the alleyway on foot with the clutch disengaged. Popped the clutch, the engine utterly won't turn over. Completely locked the rear wheel. Tried it a couple of times.

Boooooo!

Mustang

before you assume it is locked up ...............

take out the sparkplugs and pull the right side crankshaft cover off
with a wrench or ratchet and socket on the crankshaft nut see if the motor will turn over  it should easily turn with no plugs in it .

and to add to your woes ........I highly doubt that the sprag starter clutch will seize the motor

Colonel Nikolai

Mustang, I was afraid of that... But it was running PERFECTLY the last time I started it! Arrrgh!

I've pop-started this bike before: I've been able to turn the motor over by pushing it down the road, jumping on it and popping the clutch. Boom, starts right up, usually on the first try.

Yeah OK I'll give your suggestion a go. Thanks, Mustang. What if I just pulled the spark plugs and tried moving the engine with the back wheel? This would avoid having to get a gasket...

Mustang

that will work too

you might have a cylinder full of gas after sitting all winter and its hydro locked you will know right quick with the plugs out

does the older sprint have the vacuum operated petcock like a trophy does  if so it could well be full of gas

Colonel Nikolai

Pretty sure it does not have a petcock like that. It works just like the Tiger. At least when I look at the two petcocks they appear to be the same except the Sprint has a plastic dial where the Tiger has a metal one.

Well, maybe it is a vacuum operated pet rooster after all? It does have three positions: on prime reserve?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petcock

Mustang

pull the plugs check for gas there isnt an off position on the petcock so to speak

Colonel Nikolai

Plug number 2 vomited fresh oil all over my hands when I pulled it. Wiping off the plug reveals a clean surface with consistent deposts with the other two plugs. Somehow #2 got clean fresh oil on it without burning? All plugs running a tad lean with tiny amounts of white mottling on a medium dark gray surface.

I can just barely turn the engine 1/8 of a revolution of the wheel. Can't budge it any more. Will keep trying.

Mustang

that's not good
I was hoping you found a cylinder full of gas............I wonder why the motor is seized ?It was a runner when you parked it correct ?

my next move would be to remove the right hand crank cover and with bike in neautral see if you can spin it with a wrench on the crankshaft
if yes then something in tranny is locked up if no your motor is stuck hard