News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i Tiger vs KTM Adv950, and 955i engine whine noise

Started by ericw94061, January 28, 2010, 09:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericw94061

Purchase-decision help, please, on engine character & sound of the 955i Tiger vs KTM Adv950, which I keep going back and forth on. This might be tricky because I'm asking about "feel" of the motor and the good & bad noises the bike makes while riding it (youtube videos of running bikes are ok but don't capture the real feel of the engine while your atop it). Hope this makes sense.  

Most of my prior bikes have been inline 4-s like my current '03 Hayabusa which I LOVE for its acceleration, sound with Yosh full system, and mostly smooth engine feel on the highway with just a tingle of high-frequency vibration that makes the motor feel "eager". I also loved the engine character of my old '95 Tiger Steamer that I now miss. That motor was interesting--sounded like a diesel at idle but fairly smooth at all RPMs, and it sounded great whether bogging down low (open-mouth waaaa sound), and then its noise shifted to an inline-4-ish roar up higher in the RPMs.

On short test rides I liked the engine feel of a MotoGuzzi Griso1100, torquey-feeling and eager, and had fun on a way-too-loud Tuono. V-Rod motor feels nice too--smoothish like a inline-4 but with nice V-twin torque too. OTOH, BMW boxer motors turn me off with that side-side waggle feeling from the motor that never seems to go away even with revs, and I'm similarly turned off by the vertical vibration of HD paintshaker motors.

I've only had a short test ride on a KTM 990 Adv and kinda liked it, but I worry that the 950 V-twin engine character in the long run may be too much like my old '05 VStrom 1000 which I absolutely hated and sold after 6 months. The Strom motor was fine when accelerating--good noises and good power--but the engine character absolutely bored me to death at steady throttle. Even worse, the Strom gear whine noise at 25-35mph was totally annoying even with earplugs in (sorry officer--had to ride faster so the wind noise would drown it out!). The KTM950 engine has a distinct whine but it's not too annoying.

I like the Tiger 955i for the smoothness but it makes whiney noises that are mildly bothersome to my ear, and the new 1050 Tiger is out of the running 'cuz its engine whine made me want to return it after 5 miles of test ride--nails on a chalkboard are pleasurable compared to that thing.  (my ears are sensitive to high-pitch noise, maybe from the ex-wife?).  Is there any way to reduce the whine noise of the 955i? (cam gear noise?)

I'm 6'3" 34" inseam and the wife's 5'11 34" inseam, so we're looking for a big tall bike with plenty of 2-up comfort. I'm guessing the bike will see ~95% onroad, 2-up half the time, and I'll be solo on the few offroad excursions.

So, how would you describe the engine character of the 955i? Does it feel like any other engines you've ridden? How does it compare to those other motors? Did you notice any different feel between the 955i engine with stock cans and aftermarket ones?

Thanks,
Eric
\'06 Tiger, \'03 Hayabusa, lotsa bikes previously incl. \'95 Tiger

Nick Calne

The 955 is one of my favorite engines ever.  Slightly detuned in tigers, but it's still got a load to offer including plenty of poke!  They are all a bit noisy and grumbly compared to jap fours.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

I always thought the 955 tiger sounded a lot like the t409 steamer engine just not as rattling
I can always tell a tiger coming long before I see it . they sound the same as the steamers to me .

EvilBetty

I don't have a lot of experiences hearing Tigers coming down the road (don't see many around here), but I have had my Triple scenes triggered by S3's and Sprint ST's several times. For a split second I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew I needed to see whatever it was going by :)
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

ArcticTiger

I do not have any experience with the KTM, but here are my opinion on the 2, 3 and 4 cylinder bikes that I currently own and ride:
I like the torqy Tiger tripple engine better than my Duc Multistrada L-twin on longer rides.
Its not as strong as the Duc or the Bandit (100+ hp on rear wheel on both), but its such a pleasure to drive. "Endless" torque, almost like a electric engine :D  
And then comes the hard to define "feel" of the bike. My Duc is such a damn horny handlig bike, with Øhlins front/rear suspension, surely outperforming the Tiger. But again, there is something about the Tiger tripple face grin thats hard to explain... 8)
The engine "noise" doesnt bother me, and sure its quieter than the Duc!
As to the Bandit, I hope to sell it this spring.... :roll:
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

JetdocX

If a short test ride is annoying to you, move on.  The Katoom is a wonderful bike that filled my heart with impure thoughts of selling the Steamer, but I realized I didn't want to part with the $$$$ just then.  Since you are looking at both of those, try an 800GS.  That thing makes no noise at all.  Sounds like a sewing machine. :lol:
From parts unknown.

John Stenhouse

If you don't like lots of vibe stay away from the KTM, man that thing shakes enough to loosen your teeth. Best thing for the the whine is stick an aftermarket exhaust on the Tigger they sound awesome.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Tom Herold

The 955i has a distinct whine (along with the rattling up top at idle that sounds like marbles bouncing around in a tin can), but it's pure music to the ears of "Triumph" people. The 1050 Tiger you rode won't sound too different from a stock 955i from my experience. Start changing exhaust cans and add the TOR fuel mapping, and the engine just sings... nothing else in the world like it.

As far as feel, the v-twin KTM will be a lot like your strom having ridden both myself. My 955i Tiger has a vibe at about 80mph, I feel it more in the foot pegs and handlebars than seat so it doesn't bother me much at all.

Though the 955i is a tall bike, you and your wife might still feel a bit cramped on it without some mods like a Corbin seat which will raise you about an inch or so, and handle bar risers. The wind screen will be a personal choice, but a CeeBailey #2 in the 8 inch area and an adjustable MRA  spoiler on top would allow for some protection and flexibility. Also think about relocating the mirrors out with some extenders, they're a source of buffeting on the rider. Then look at Twisted Throttle for some rear foot peg extenders for the wifey. With those long legs, she'll probably wish for a few more inches of room and the extenders come in different lengths so you can get the fit pretty close for her too.

While no bike is "right" in stock form, the 955i Tigers offer a lot of flexibility in set-up and comfort. Stack that triple engine in there and there's a fine bike for one and two-up touring, daily commuting and all around fun.

They're available at a reasonable price, you might even find one with a few of the farkles already added to save some more money in the end. It'll be cheaper to maintain and enjoy than the KTM too.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

ericw94061

Thanks for all the replies!  :D   I also posted this message on the OrangeCrush list at AdvRider and having read the comments here and there and also looking at comparisons between the KTM 950 Adv and VStrom 1000, I'm starting to think that the KTM is just too much like my Strom that bored me to tears.  The DL was sneaky fast and incredibly effortless in the twisties, but it just felt pedestrian and appliance-like in commuting and long rides.  :(

I think the Tigger is the one for me & the wifey, predominately will be used 2-up on-road (I'll get a plated DS bike for offroad--like a beat-up used WR450 or XR650 rather than a $8k 950!).  I'm now kicking myself for ever letting go of my '95 Steamer in Pimento Red--that thing was gorgeous to look at and so much fun to ride, and I had a pretty strong farkle list going on it.  Served me well for 50k miles and only had a few little problems with it.  Ah well, you live, you learn.   :oops:  

I'll probably now look for a clean late model Girly unless I can find a low mile Steamer.

Thanks again! Very much looking forward to returning to Tiger ownership!

JetdocX

I've got a BRG 98 Steamer and I'm close to you (I rode my other bike through your zip today incidentally).  So whatever you decide to get...

I just moved here and I only know a couple riders (and no one else).  :D
From parts unknown.

the cyclops

Its not really fair to compare the 950 to the Tiger, two very different bikes.  The 950 is more of a big dirt bike that can cruise on pavement and the Tiger is a street bike that can do a little bit of dirt.  I love the 950, but the cost and maintenance was a deal breaker for me.  I have a friend that has one and love to ride it, but 1/2 day to change the oil...c'mon.
Growing older but not up

ericw94061

I don't see why it's not fair to compare the two, especially if you lump them together into the "tall bikes built for a variety of uses" category.  I definitely get the point, tho, that the 950 seems to be a dirt bike that's streetable, while the Tiger's a street bike that's dirtable--the Tiger appears to be a better streetbike than the 950, and vice versa on dirt.  

They're probably both terrific bikes for the right owners, eg I've read raves from the 950 guys about their bikes and same for the Tiger folk.  They each just tickle different buttons for their owners.

I also seem to count more guys selling their 950's and buying Tigers than the other way around, but it's not by a wide margin.  To each his own, I guess...

fano

Quote from: "ericw94061"To each his own, I guess...

Yeah, that's why you need both.  :lol:

EvilBetty

I think you're right... A 1050 and a KTM.  Sounds like an awesome combo!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

abruzzi

I've owned both.  The 955 is a more refined engine--not quite japanese, but compared to the 950 it is as smooth and quiet as a sewing machine.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  The 950 is a great engine but beginning rider usually freak out over all the mechanical noises coming from the engine.  You clearly hear the cam chains, they are usually extra loud for 5 seconds or so since the tensioner uses oil pressure.  The whole experience is closer to ducati.  I always felt the 955 (and even more so the 1050) felt like a magic thick-skinned black brick that puts out power but you feel isolated from the innards (the steamer is less isolated.)  The 950 is like a really big, thin skinned dirt bike engine.  You hear every thing. (then there is the 640, even louder.)

Both are great engines with great character by the way.

Geof