News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rain ride, new rider, no baby sitter..

Started by Sasquatch, September 19, 2004, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

I finally poped my friend Garlock's dual sport cherry.  Yesterday we did a good loop in the rain and I think I have another soul hooked on the adventure touring lifestyle.  DaddyStar, of this list was scheduled to join us for this ride but couldn't because of a lack of baby sitter.  I knew there was a reason I had that Vasectomy.....

He borrowed my fathers Kawasaki KLR650 and we headed for Horseshoe bend where the dirt adventure started.  We did have to pause at the top of the summit to put on our rain gear as it was raining pretty constant.

We hit the dirt road that goes over to Idaho City.  We detoured a bit and went through Placerville and then hit the old road over the hump to Centerville.  The weather was in the high 40's/low 50's all day and it drizzled on us occasionally.  Having proper gear was the key as we were dry and comfortable.

The first part of the day Garlock was really riding slow.  But, later on he got the feel of things and started picking up the pace.

We had a wonderful lunch at Trudy's in IDC.  After lunch we headed back to New Centerville and took the canyon run that goes down Mores creek to HWY 21.  Just before you hit 21 we hung a right up through Clear Creek to the back side of the Boise Front range (Bogus Basin).

Here we connected with some dirt bike "trails" that I used to ride many moons ago.  There was one old abandoned road that I used to ride all the time on my Husqvarna that goes from Clear Creek rd up to the old scout camp half way between the top of 8th street road and Bogus.  The road is called Upper Eagleson.  Here is the start of the road.

This road is alot rougher than I remember.  Huge wash outs, massive ruts and lots of rocks.  Of course, it could be that the last time I rode it I was on a MX bike and now I am on a 600lb Adventure toruer...

I just kept it pointed up hill, watching my lines closely, and keeping forward momentum.

The KLR Garlock was riding is actually much more suited for this type of terrain.  It was also shod with knobbies, which helped a bunch.

At the top he made some reference to me beiing totally nuts for riding the Tiger up that "trail", but oh well.

Gratutious pee shot:

Last shot of the day.  Overlooking Boise.  We rode up to Bogus and took the road back down since he had to be at a wedding at 5pm.

I hope I have corrupted his mind and he will have an adventure tourer soon in his garage.

dezrat57

Hey tigerjay you're having waaaaay to much fun and corrrupting the locals!!!

this is the 2nd time you mention great gear for rain, what do you recomend? since its pouring right now

dave

Sasquatch

I have the MotoPort rain gear pants that I put over MotoPort Cordura riding pants (not waterproof).  My Motoport Atlas jacket is lined with Gortex, and has proven itself many times.

Since the temperatures were in the mid 40's (and wet) I also put on my Gerbing heated jacket liner, gloves and socks.  Turn up the thermostat to "toasty" and ride all day.

J