News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Wow! I'm glad I have a Tiger!!

Started by macgart, February 07, 2010, 03:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macgart

I have always had a thing for the BMW GS and would have bought one instead of the Tiger last year, if I could have afforded it.  So, consequently, I occasionally read the GS forums.  I was bored today and was reading a GS forum (I had read all the new stuff here) and came upon a very lengthy thread about surging problems and all the varied techniques required to fix the problem.  Then another about bearing issues at the rear wheel, not to mention the shaft seal failures and other issues.

This leads me to my point...  thank God I'm too poor to have bought a GS!

The Tiger has been a delight to ride, service, and own in general.  The problems are few and fairly simple to deal with, service is very easy, the ride is fantastic, the cool factor is very high, and this site is THE BEST!

Reading all the smartass replies on the GS forum and the condescending remarks to those who were trying to perform their own service was terrible.  It also seems that the valve adjustments are extremely critical  and trying to adjust the TPS was over the top.  I'm all for trying to do a good through job, but for a bike that is billed as the "ultimate rtw adventure bike" it sure seems to  be pretty sensitive.

I still have a soft spot for the GS (thank you very much Ewan and Charlie) but I'll think long and hard before every buying one.  (If I ever happen to have that much expendable income.)

Thanks to all who contribute so much to this excellent forum and thank you Abruzzi for the great atmosphere here.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

brad1098

+1 I too thought I wanted a GS a few years ago.  When my Tiger came up I bought it because I was 5grand away from a GS.  Its the best poor bastard decision I have ever made.  I will have other bikes in this life......The Tiger is not for sale.

Yesterday I had to run bike across town in 30 degree weather.  I was screwing around.  In the cold weather this thing made a deadly amount of power........75mph in town.....in 2nd gear...... pulling the wheel up in first.  To much fun.  I love this bike!!!!

If you are a Tiger owner and do not have the TOR can and TOR tune you are making a mistake. THE absolute number one farcle for you Kitty.
02 black-Lorna

macgart

I plan to do the TOR map this spring.  I'll have to wait on the can till I have some more cash.  I've read that the TOR map works great even with the stock pipe.  I'd like to have a bit more torque from my 885.

I hope to make it to the Triumph dealer day this month, I really want to ride a roadie... and a scrambler... and a Rocket III... and a Daytona... and....

:twisted:  :twisted:
99 Tiger "Goldie"

JetdocX

You know, the fact of the matter:

1.  All bikes have problems.

2.  Owners of certain bikes congregate in certain forums and the horror stories come out.

3.  This site is not immune.

4. I could go on and on and have at some length about the shoddy workmanship of my Tiger, and this, that and the other thing.

5.  I'm not alone here.

Having said that, I'd take a Tiger over one of those overpriced big GS's any day of the week. :D   Much more bike for the money, IMO.  

6.  Preaching to the chior. :lol:
From parts unknown.

macgart

Jet,

I hear what you're saying.  I used to have a KLR and the sites are full of the problems and complaints.  It just seems that the problems we and the KLR have are pretty minor and easy to deal with.  Just my perspective so far.

Anything mechanical can and will break.
99 Tiger "Goldie"

JetdocX

You've been fortunate.  Me not so much.
From parts unknown.

Colonel Nikolai

This TOR map is a Girly / Roadie thing, right? Nothing to do with Steamer?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"This TOR map is a Girly / Roadie thing, right? Nothing to do with Steamer?
correct it is a fuel map for the ECU on the Girly bikes
it is the new fangled way to adjust jetting  :ImaPoser

it's what controls the fuel injectors

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX"6.  Preaching to the chior. :lol:

Hallelujah Brother  :icon_study  :occasion14
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Colonel Nikolai

Thanks Mustang, that's what I thought. As soon as I heard "map" I should have guessed. Everyone here seems to really like the Girlies a lot. They seem (engineering-wise) to be quite an improvement on the Steamer. And I admit the look of them is finally starting to grow on me.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Thanks Mustang, that's what I thought. As soon as I heard "map" I should have guessed. Everyone here seems to really like the Girlies a lot. They seem (engineering-wise) to be quite an improvement on the Steamer. And I admit the look of them is finally starting to grow on me.

Funny that, because although I like my Girly, I also like the appearance of the Steamer a lot, and - being carbs - it's a proper motorcycle for the spanner-handy.  No electrical jiggery-pokery..... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

I too was looking at a 1200GS but I got my '05 but '06 model Tiger with full luggage for 5k less than an '04 GS. Rode my mates GS last year when we were touring Scotland and didn't like it, I think I have been spoilt by that wonderfull three cylinder lump with all its smooth torque, so glad I didn't buy one.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "NKL"I think I have been spoilt by that wonderfull three cylinder lump with all its smooth torque

That's it, you have it nailed in one. I think that's what keeps us coming back, even after the electrical shenanigans and the weak suspension. Grin Factor 10  8)
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

macgart

It seems, from my reading anyway, that those of us with the first generation Girlies (885i) missed out on the major electrical woes.

I searched regarding major failures on the 885i and only found one poster here who had serious heartburn with the model.  I'm sure there are others who've had major problems, I just didn't find any posts.  Although, I would like to have the torque of the 955.

Any vehicle can have problems, just look at Toyota for a high profile example.  They have, at least to my knowledge, a legendary reputation for reliability and customer satisfaction.  

I was reading a RR on adv today http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480532&page=4 where the OP described how to replace a bevel bearing and rear seal in a third world country.  He described how easyit was.  Aside from his multiple aftermarket shock failures (not a BMW fault) he seems to have had good luck with his 1100.  He met another fellow with a 1100 GS with nearly 450,000 miles on it.  He says the engine is original but has gone through 5 final drives.  Pretty good all in all.  Seems a bit hit or miss with the big GS.  If I ever buy one, it would be one of the 1100's or 1150's.

Again, I'm not beemer bashing, I truly like them, it's just that they are too rich for my blood.  I'm mostly just really happy that I stumbled upon a sweet deal on my Tiger and have found out just how great a bike it is.
99 Tiger "Goldie"

Mustang

Quote from: "macgart"It seems, from my reading anyway, that those of us with the first generation Girlies (885i) missed out on the major electrical woes.

Yep it's got a real alternator , just like the steamer , it's only downfall is it only puts out about 400 watts so you can overload it still with lights and heated gear and other electrical doo dads  :cry: