News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buffeting solutions

Started by Advwannabe, February 13, 2010, 12:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Hi All,

Well at various times I've tried bigger, wider and higher screens, none of whom have provided me with a satisfactory solution to the dreaded buffetitis.

Screens so far include: Tiger standard, Tiger Touring, Eagle +120, Eagle +200, Cee Baileys +4", MRA Vario. All of these provided some measure of improvement in different ways. An interesting psychological factor in this is that sometimes I'd try a new screen and think it was the solution, then go back the following day and realise it wasn't. Bugger.

Moving the mirrors out on their stalks was a partial improvement, as was spacing out the Eagle to aid pressure equalisation. The interesting thing was that when I went to the higher Eagle I got tiny drumming or microbuffeting that would blur my vision and send me to sleep! Not good on long rides......

Anyway the two valuable things I'd learned were that the closer your head is to the tip of the screen, the less buffeting and the importance of the pressure equalisation. Last week, out of desperation and because I wanted to complete an IBA run on Tigger I went one step further, by increasing the length of the lower spacer to give a shallower angle to the wind and get my head closer to the lip:

Looks little weird with the extra screen taped to the top, but gives about the same overall height as the Eagle +200, but of course the lip is a lot closer to my head.

As can be seen by the profile 'mugshot'

I started off with just the Eagle +125. Immediately I noticed a big improvement in the bike's stability in crosswinds. Buffeting was significantly reduced, but the noise is about as it was.

My Eagle +200 had been cut down to a sports screen ( another experiment) so I taped that as shown to see what effect it had. Buffeting and noise are not Goldwing quality but the head rattling is elliminated and the noise is much better.

A saddlesore 1000 is a reasonable test of the set up and I'm pleased to say that 2500 miles later I'm very happy.

You may not be able to replicate my results with your screens, but it you want to experiment with some spacers of your own you may experience some improvements. Good luck

Cheers
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

BigMark

I went down a similar route early last year with spacers..
Nothing as extreme as yours

A Baileys 4" spaced off from the nose fairing by 10mm at th top fixing only

A Stock screen spaced off from th baileys by 10mm at the top fixing only

The whole thing

Now i use a Palmer Screen Best i have had yet..

Bixxer Bob

Mark,

I've seen your photos mate,  there isn't a screen made that's gonna keep the wind off you...  in the last pic you posted you made the Tiger look like a mini moto :)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigMark

It will do until they make a man size version  :shock:

Chris Canning

When ever i read one of these threads i'm never sure to laugh or cry,i (we) have had 3 tigers and never had the slightest problem,including doing a 1000 mile day,must be the way you guys sit on e'm!!

Side winds?? pheww different story :(

BigMark

Some men are longer than other Chris  :P

I done my 1000 with a small screen. Been many miles with it, but an adjustable screen that can go that bit higher is brilliant in winter and rain...

You do ride in winter and rain right ???

(Yes Joking) :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Chris Canning

Only for the first 9 years,as i didn't learn to drive a car till my mid twenties,i considered it disloyal to the cause :wink:

BigMark

Good Man.. Me i headed the over way 8)

Advwannabe

Quote from: "Chris Canning"When ever i read one of these threads i'm never sure to laugh or cry,i (we) have had 3 tigers and never had the slightest problem,including doing a 1000 mile day,must be the way you guys sit on e'm!!

Side winds?? pheww different story :(

Probably a matter of taste Chris, I was perfectly happy to do 12-1300 mile days on my old FJ, other guys did all sorts of stuff to solve what they saw as a vibration problem in the grips. Never bothered me.

Likewise I'm happy to tour on the Daytona, others think I'm crazy

But the Tiger's buffetitis used to beat the stuffing out of me and suck the joy out of long rides, thankfully that's a thing of the past
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

JasonS

.. Chris... How tall are you, it seems that this head wobble thing is something that only affects us tall folk... I have a VERY upright riding position, using risers, and I assume this adds to the problem, versus someone who rides in a more "crotch-rocket" position....

I still think part of the problem is the wobbly surface the screens are mounted to, allowing lots of flex in the screen...
\'tweachisown

Photo Journal of my 2009 Texas Trip Being Written Here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... 48daf95d7c

blacktiger

Quote from: "JasonS"I still think part of the problem is the wobbly surface the screens are mounted to, allowing lots of flex in the screen...

I think you're right. That's why I got a brace made up some years ago when I started pissing around with bigger screens....
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.