News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve tool needed. Near Atlanta

Started by Albert Blue, February 21, 2010, 05:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Blue

Anybody around Atlanta got  a valve bucket tool? Happy to buy from Mustang but I'm in a bit of a time pinch. I'd be happy to share cost. If so call me @ 678 361-0106.  Thanks.  Ray

Mustang

tool could be there in 3 days .................just sayin

send me a pm might be worth your while  :wink:

and if you are in a big time constraint , just pull the cams ....then you don't need a tool

JetdocX

Pull the cams like Mustang said.  Less work, IMO than messing around with the shim tool. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Albert Blue

I'm thinking about pulling the shafts.   I only have 4 valves out of spec. Haynes is fairly straightforward but i can't find the torque values. I have to wait for the dealer to open Tues. to source new shims. Tool here in 3 days...decisions...

Albert Blue

Well I did find the torque values but I'm thinking I may not need them.  I remeasured the clearances again.  Although you are supposed to measure the gap w/ the cam lobe 180 off the shim, if I move the lobe to point maybe 10-20 degrees or so either side if 180 I can get the readings I need to stay in spec.

Kinda strange as I would have guessed that the thinnest part of the cam would be 180 out from the point of the cam.  Thoughts?

blacktiger

You don't need to take the cams right out.
If you remove all the bearing caps you can then lift the cams enough to get at the shims leaving the cam chain in place.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Albert Blue

BT, I saw your method on page 4 of a longer thread about valves.  I gave it a try and it worked just fine.  Thanks.  I was trying to talk myself out of monkeying with it but with the camshafts tilted even the #3 shims were a breeze to get out. There was a caution in the Haynes manual about loosening the compressed cap lastly-otherwise straightforward.  The book calls for the caps to be tightened to 10nm.  Mine were WAY tighter than that!!  Time to break out the pen/paper and figure out what shims I need. Cheers.  Ray