News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Online Oil

Started by WildeKurt, August 12, 2004, 04:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildeKurt

I'm looking for a less expensive source for synthetic oil on the web.  Figured I could get it cheaper that way than the dealer.  I think I'd like to find some Spectrol, but Mobile 1 would do.  Any suggestions?  The dealer wants something like $11 per quart.

Kurt

NortonCharlie

I don't know about online, I by it local.

Autozone has the Mobil 1 MX4T recommended by Triumph for $7.99 a quart.  You need a little more than 4 quarts to change the oil on the 955 motor.  

I had to go to the Mobil websight to find a local dealer.  I Still by the Triumph oil for the summertime, I ussually pay $42.00 for the 4 liter jug.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Sasquatch

Mobil 1 15/50 "red cap".  $4.99 qt.  Can buy it anywhere.  Quit buying the BS that is spewed by the MC companies about MC specific oils.  The red cap 15/50 is NOT the EC oil (Energy Conserving) that should be avoided.  

If you continue to believe the totally effective marketing scam that they have been pulling over our eyes for the last 20 years... I've got this beautiful piece of mountain property in Florida that I would love to sell you..

Quote from: "tigerjay"If you continue to believe the totally effective marketing scam that they have been pulling over our eyes for the last 20 years... I've got this beautiful piece of mountain property in Florida that I would love to sell you..

Maybe.

As far as I know, the BIG difference between a car and a bike is that a bikes (most) have a wet clutch. Therefore any oil used with a wet clutch needs to have "JASO MA" in the specs. Otherwise the clutch could start to slip.

This has come about with the widespread use of synthetic oils which are far more slippery than the old mineral oils of yesteryear.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Blacktiger"
Quote from: "tigerjay"If you continue to believe the totally effective marketing scam that they have been pulling over our eyes for the last 20 years... I've got this beautiful piece of mountain property in Florida that I would love to sell you..

Maybe.

As far as I know, the BIG difference between a car and a bike is that a bikes (most) have a wet clutch. Therefore any oil used with a wet clutch needs to have "JASO MA" in the specs. Otherwise the clutch could start to slip.

This has come about with the widespread use of synthetic oils which are far more slippery than the old mineral oils of yesteryear.

If anyone can get a clutch to slip, it is me.  At 350 pounds, riding a loaded bike, and riding it hard, if the clutch is going to slip, it will with me riding it.  I have used Mobil 1, Castrol, Chevron Delo 400 and Valvoline (all car oils) in every motorcycle I have owned since 1984.  One 1986 FZ 750 lasting me over 100,000 miles on car oil.  One FZR 1000 even doing a couple of full seasons of drag racing on Mobil 1 red cap.

Not only have I never had any issues with clutch slippage, but I have NEVER had any oil related failure.  And, in the last 20 years of riding, figuring an average 3k oil change interval over the ammount of miles logged (and this is long, since many of the race bikes got oil changes very often), I have saved over $2000 by not buying MC specific oils.

But do whatever makes you feel good.