News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

More on the BMW R1200GS vs. Tiger issue

Started by Zig28, August 13, 2004, 03:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zig28

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

The latest Motorcycle Consumer News has a review of the GS vs. KTM, and they had several problems with the GS, including ABS and brake problems.  They also dynoed the new GS and found it only had 81 hp, vs. the 100 hp claimed by the factory.  This is the second article I've read about the R12GS that says the HP is nowhere near factory claims.

I've also heard of GS shaft drive failures on other BMW lists I read.  I've owned several BMW's (and still do), and my feeling is that the newer "Oilhead" BM's are not anywhere near as reliable as the "German quality and engineering" marketing spin that they'd like you to believe.  The bikes are very complex and usually cost big bucks to get repaired.

Bike magazine in the U.K. recently had a long-term test K1200GT and they said it was the least reliable bike they ever had, worse even than Ducatis.  Motorcycle Consumer News does periodic surveys with various bike owners and the BMW had one of the highest failure rates of any bike they've ever surveyed.

The R12GS has gotten good reviews in the magazines so far, but most of them were journalists who were flown to BMW's big test drives in exotic locales.  It remains to be seen if the bike will be any more (or less) reliable than other BMWs.  I've been pricing a Tiger vs. R12GS lately, and the BMW costs just about 55% more.  Is it worth it?  For some owners, I guess it is.  But I've done lots of maintenance on my Thunderbird Sport, and I've done lots of maintenance on all sorts of bikes over the years, and my feeling is that the Triumph is pretty reliable and built pretty tough.

Anyway, I'm still deciding, but leaning towards the Tiger.  Of course, that Thruxton in the shop window is pretty enticing also...

Brock

No, No, NOOOOOO. I will NOT get drawn into the GS v Tiger thing again.

Look...just buy a Tiger. It's better. OK?

If you buy a Thruxton the crows will peck your eyes out.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

MikeB

or get both just to be on the safe side :)
------------------------------------------------

2005 Tiger - silver

1997 T\'Bird- black

Lots of things going wrong with the new GS. Rear bevels breaking down, front brake hoses snapping, general handling woes, electrical problems................

BMW quality? No such thing any more!

Just buy a tiger. You can then plan a good touring holiday with the money saved.

trotts

:?  they are like chalk and cheese.  Simply a matter for you.  Both are great bikes. I have owned a GS and went the other way to a Tiger, most 'seem' to migrate the other way.  Thing is a GS will cost you loads more, however look at resale values in a few years time  Our Tigers certainly have no real value after a few years  :(   However the saving you make between a 12GS and a new Tiger are loads of goodies and holidays.  Look for  Tigers a few years old and you are on a winner.

i agree with others.  No point in this bike is better than that bike etc.  What you are comfortable with.  have seen some cracking Tigers on E Bay !! Fill your boots
Dave T

Brock

Who are those folks who "migrate" from a Tiger to a GS? I've heard them mentioned before but apart from a couple who frequent this site, they appear to be rare.

Anyone else noticed how many GS's there are each week in MCN? Some of them appear to take ages to sell. Maybe the prices are unreasonably high. The one I tried at Church Stretton M/C's a couple of months back had done 36,000miles, was on a "W" plate and was as rough as a Badger's arse (no offence, Badger).

They wanted £5,600 for it.

My BRAND NEW '04 Tiger cost me only £100 more.

Oh, bugger...I've been drawn in. I said I wouldn't again, but I have...
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

newmanr19

Quote from: "Brock"Who are those folks who "migrate" from a Tiger to a GS? I've heard them mentioned before but apart from a couple who frequent this site, they appear to be rare.

Anyone else noticed how many GS's there are each week in MCN? Some of them appear to take ages to sell. Maybe the prices are unreasonably high. The one I tried at Church Stretton M/C's a couple of months back had done 36,000miles, was on a "W" plate and was as rough as a Badger's arse (no offence, Badger).

They wanted £5,600 for it.

My BRAND NEW '04 Tiger cost me only £100 more.

Oh, bugger...I've been drawn in. I said I wouldn't again, but I have...

the resale values of the older 1150's have definatley taken a hit because of the new 1200

Badger

Quote from: "Brock"...The one I tried at Church Stretton M/C's a couple of months back had done 36,000miles, was on a "W" plate and was as rough as a Badger's arse (no offence, Badger)...
:shock:

I'll have you know my arse is quite smooth. Not that you'll ever find out. :wink:
Growing Old Disgracefully

WildeKurt

Did someone say rear bevel failures on the new 1200GS?  I hadn't heard of this one but I thought the new rear drive was supposed to be better.

The MCN GS vs KTM article left me a little perplexed.  A complete failure of the power brake system and they still liked the bike?  In my eyes that sort of thing is inexusable and any price level.

Kurt

Quote from: "WildeKurt"Did someone say rear bevel failures on the new 1200GS?  I hadn't heard of this one but I thought the new rear drive was supposed to be better.

Kurt

Yes, I did. Take a look at the "UKGSer.com/forums" under "1200GS". It/they really are crap!

Patrick the Scot

Yes, reference advrider.com and read all about the rear wheel bearing failures on the !200GS, at speed no less !  Here in the States the only reason anyone wants the BMW anything is that it is a status symbol, i.e. it costs more up front and through it's life.  People here in TX ride Beemers to say that they ride Beemers, however, most are serious long distance travelers.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

Lucifertiger

sounds like the same reason you would buy a Harley or a Ducatti? the thing all three have in common is good resale, expensive to buy, egotistical riders, and they don't ride too far either :twisted:

newmanr19

any first year model is going to have issues - or as in this case a total remodel. It was after all just awarded Motorcycle of the Year by Motorcyclist magazine; over all the other styles of bikes such as touring bikes, cruisers, sporties; standards etc. so it can't be all junk

Say what you will about the bike or magazine awards; but it's certainly getting a lot of attention and bringing a lot of focus to our particular style of motoring; so that can't be a terrible thing. The KTM 950 won the big adventure category btw. The Tiger was not represented at all which was a shame since I'm sure it must outsell the KTM at least. ah well.

tigerowner_ut

Quote from: "newmanr19"The Tiger was not represented at all which was a shame since I'm sure it must outsell the KTM at least. ah well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the KTM was out selling the Tiger.   KTM is now producing more bikes than BMW (Yes dirt bikes make up the majority) and KTM has a super strong and devoted following among dirt riders (the most likely to be new adventure tourers).
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

newmanr19

According to Triumph they have had record sales this year (at least in the USA) and they have sold quite a few Tigers in 04.

the 950 may be catching up; but according to a poll on Advrider.com, the Tiger owners still have a slight lead and my guess is that the Tiger is actually under-represented on advrider because so many Tiger owners feel that it's simply a road bike and don't hang out on sites like advrider.