News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

oooh that was soooo close

Started by Patch, August 14, 2004, 10:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patch

I just managed to get out of 3x today without buying a Tiger but ... I have arranged a test ride this week.

Seriously, just wanted to introduce myself, am "about" to venture into Tiger ownership and so have been looking at the forums and decided to stop in here.

So which should I buy a brand spanking new 05 with the cast wheels and all the thrown in extras or a 2002 for almost 2k less but with only 5,000 miles?

Tony.the.tiger

Hi

I'm a newbie myself, just bought a 01 pink Tiger  :oops: not picked it up yet due to a part being on order, i'd go for the used one and save on the pennies, don't think much of the new cast wheels on the 05, but as i say i'm a newbie so i don't know much :oops:

ATDRS

New for sure. Then its yours..

New suspension is worth it although it can be sorted on the earlier ones also.

Panniers make up about half the difference then there is warranty. Tubless is good but not required for fun.

Ride and enjoy, the Tiger way.

Flying Tiger

I, personally, couldn't have gotten into a Triumph Tiger (2002) if it wasn't used.  I couldn't afford new.

The used ones that I have seen for sale are very well taken cared of.   So for me,  used seems to be a good value with the luggage and the warranty, if you can find them.

But, the 05's are nice too.

Bushwhacker

Quote from: "Patch"So which should I buy a brand spanking new 05 with the cast wheels and all the thrown in extras or a 2002 for almost 2k less but with only 5,000 miles?

I have had mine 10 days.

I decided to buy the 05 because

1.  Tubeless tires and Cast wheels - a plug will get you home if you have a flat, do not have to worry about tight spokes and true wheels.

2.  Bags included.

3.  2 year unlimited mileage warranty - I expect to have 25-30k on mine in two years.

4.  Better handling - due to decrease in rake and trail

5.  BRG - I liked the green.

http://vrcc.photostash.com/vrcc_11678/TigerBag2.jpg

http://vrcc.photostash.com/vrcc_11678/TigerNoBag2.jpg

-
When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue

Brock

Patch...if you shop around you'll find a 2001+ bike with low mileage AND all the bits you need on it for good money. To be honest, any 955i that's been well looked after, low mileage with a dealer service history is worth looking at. The introductuion of the '05 made examples of the previous model even better value for money, and lots of folks (me included) prefer the spoked ones anyway.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

tigerjohn

Patch...... I don't think it makes much difference whether you go for a new '05 or not. You might find a new '04 still available (though probably only in orange!). The '04s came with the same extras as the '05 - heated grips, centre stand and panniers, and the same 2yr warranty. Any that are still around will be cheaper than the '05 as dealers with '04s  will haggle. The '05 suspension is an improvement on the '04 but the jury's still out on the cast/tubeless vs spoked/tubed issue!

Whichever you end up with, you hopefully won't regrte it.

Dick Boyer

Get the 04 if you are into more off road. Get the 05 if you are more into road riding. They are slowly turning this fine heavy dualsport into just another street bike and less of an adventure bike. Same as the Beamer.

pauljones1227

I went for the 05 after testing both, much better ride.

Plus I parked a Silver 05 next to a Silver 04 and the wheels made the 04 look a bit dated !!

Lojack

I have to say I prefer the '04 looks to the '05 in Orange (My dealer could not find a BRG '05 in the States)when looking at the two at the the dealer. And the $700 dollar difference in asking price helped too. 8)

MikeBenzon

Actually, I like the orange with the silver frame (05) and the silver ones with the black frame (04). Go figure.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

Brock

'04. In Black. No question about it.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

SIBBO

Anyone for 02 in roulette green :?:

Bushwhacker

When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue

ChrisN

it's got to be 04 in silver with spoked wheels.

(pauljones you need your head checking :roll: )

For those needing re-assurance http://www.chrisneary.co.uk/gallery/Tiger

I just hope Triumph bring out something newer than the 05 offering before its time for me to change. Pushing 10k in 5 months now.... so won't be too far away!
Chris