News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Warped Rotors

Started by Bixxer Bob, March 19, 2010, 01:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

:BangHead  :BangHead  :BangHead

= MOT fail

:BangHead  :BangHead  :BangHead

£310 for EBCs and HH pads..... :evil:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jonathan jaecks

My 06' is on its third set of rotors... the first two sets each lasted less than 3k miles.  Replaced under warranty as part of a rotor recall.
Running EBC pads and recently swapped out brake lines for Spiegler braided lines (separate lines for front right and front left to eliminate the shitty crossover brake line).  It has helped, however I'd still like to swap out the rotors for full floating as soon as EBC has them available.  I'm probably going to pull the calipers and do a rebuild this summer as well...I'd love to trade up those as well but I'm taking it one component at a time.

Jonathan
06' silver

chairhead

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"£310 for EBCs and HH pads..... :evil:

I dont think thats bad at all,ok nobody wants to pay out £310 but for discs and pads.......not bad
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

Which discs are they??,don't EBC do a set of full floaters :D .

Bixxer Bob

Used EBC's tedious but effective on line search engine at:

http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/?source= ... 4wodIzHrZw

and ordered:

Vehicle: TRIUMPH/Tiger 955 (Cast wheel) from VIN 198875/04-06/
Item   Part Number    Qty    Unit Price    Unit Weight    Part Description
1.    FA196HH          2    19.98      0.3kgs Actual   EBC Double-H Sintered Pads for Fast Road Use
2.    MD676LS          1    124.95     3kgs Approx    EBC Streetbike Discs (LS  = Left Side RS = Right Side - no suffix = rear disc)
3.    MD676RS          1    124.95     3kgs Approx    EBC Streetbike Discs (LS  = Left Side RS = Right Side - no suffix = rear disc)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Think the 676 discs are full floating anyway, have a look here

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/tiger-9 ... 1445-p.asp
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

These EBCs appear to be floating too....

Removed the old ones tonight in preparation for the new ones arriving.  My luck is running to spec as one bolt wouldn't come out.  Had to resort to drilling it.  Fortunately once I'd drilled out to just under the threads it gave up and came quietly.  I'll be off to the stealer on Monday for a complete new set... or maybe I could spend tomorrow morning making stainless ones on my lathe :P

Except it's the wife's birthday so it'd be more than my life's worth.. :cry:

the cyclops

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"My 06' is on its third set of rotors... the first two sets each lasted less than 3k miles.  Replaced under warranty as part of a rotor recall.
Running EBC pads and recently swapped out brake lines for Spiegler braided lines (separate lines for front right and front left to eliminate the shitty crossover brake line).  It has helped, however I'd still like to swap out the rotors for full floating as soon as EBC has them available.  I'm probably going to pull the calipers and do a rebuild this summer as well...I'd love to trade up those as well but I'm taking it one component at a time.

Jonathan
06' silver

So what is this rotor recall?  I have an 06 and wonder if mine were replaced.
Growing older but not up

Timbox2

Quote from: "the cyclops"So what is this rotor recall?  I have an 06 and wonder if mine were replaced.

Apparently some rotors were not heat treated properly leading to them warping, not sure it was ever a recall as such
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Bixxer Bob

I was surprised at how bad mine were, they pulse a bit - nothing major - during normal braking but it looked really bad on the brake test machine.

I'm not sure how it happened or when either.  I'm not exactly the last of the late brakers.  I do think that bolting the rotor direct to the cast wheel is asking for trouble though.

And Chris it looks like you were right about the floaters, I'll see for sure when they come tomorrow.

Chris Canning

It's bolting them to the wheel that is the trouble,there's no way for the heat to dissipate as the disc is solid and the thats what warps e'm,i've had the same problem with 6 pot AP calipers and solid mounted discs on my 1100s,it's take a little while(10 years) to sort it!!!.

I've run Beringers for a long,no wear and because their floaters shed the heat within seconds.

Bixxer Bob

Rotors just arrived...  Floaters!!!  Wooo woo... :lol:

Just gotta get a replacement bolt and we're in business!

I know, you're supposed to replace them all, but I've NDT'd them and checked for thread stretch; and besides, the dealer's only got 6 in stock at £5 each :shock:

Chris Canning

310 quid all in and their floaters,thats peanuts

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"310 quid all in and their floaters,thats peanuts

Cheers Chris.  EBC have 10% discounts running on their website at the moment so that helped, final total inc bolt and a tube of locking compund £321.  Re-MOT tomorrow!!

Oh, and the Triumph bolts come with the locking compund already applied, never seen that before :roll: