News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Finally, a day out

Started by Bixxer Bob, April 15, 2010, 11:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Got up at 05.30hrs this morning, saw the wife off to catch her train, went back to bed for an hour, got up, looked at the pile of ironing, the unstarted decorating, the gardening, thought b*ll&cks and got the bike out.

Since others have posted such lovely views of hills and mountains in Scotland and Wales I thought I'd post some of our flatlands.  For those not in the UK, the boggy, peaty wet lowlands of Norfolk in East England were drained and irrigated with a lot of help from the Dutch or Nederlanders who have experience of such matters.  The resulting black soil is the richest, most fertile farmland in the UK.  But boy is it flat.

Here's an example:

Most of the man-made drains (this one is imaginatively called Sixteen Foot Drain - I think from it's width) are dead straight.  This one goes on for four miles without deviation:

On the edge of the fens is our Cathedral in Ely, which isn't as good as the one in Durham in the north east where I come from (see Geof's pic for that) but the old ladies in the church hall round the corner make good tea and the biscuits are free:

Lastly, and linking with the Dutch as I mentioned earlier, a local windmill:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

jsingraham

Cool pics.  I have a very similar picture of the Ely cathedral myself from back in 1993 when I spent my last semester of college in Harlaxton, just outside of Grantham.  We did a bunch of weekend school trips and many of them involved visiting the cathedrals in England and that was one of them.  Don't see many like those over here in the states.

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

kev w

Ah the Fens they really are that flat that in places it's like you can see the curvature of the earth!
I was born and bred in Yaxley (near Peterborough) which is right on the edge of the Fens.
Did you know the Fen dwellers from the 19th century were refered to as Fen Tigers due to the harsh conditions they lived in.

Kev
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

NeilD

looks good..   8) I had a trip out yesterday to Hunstanton and then home via swaffham and watton - stopped at Lings for a tea nd a wee..  :D  they've a couple of 'girlies' in stock..

Bixxer Bob

Though about Hunstanton but guilt drove me home :cry:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NeilD

we've similar geography u[p here, although I'm just where the Wolds meets the Fens, so the 'positive value' contour lines start here!!!  :)

Nick Calne

Never been to that area of the country... really must go and have a look around  8)

Nice pics guys btw
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

rf9rider

Quote from: "kev w"Ah the Fens they really are that flat that in places it's like you can see the curvature of the earth!
I was born and bred in Yaxley (near Peterborough) which is right on the edge of the Fens.
Did you know the Fen dwellers from the 19th century were refered to as Fen Tigers due to the harsh conditions they lived in.

Kev

Stanground School by any chance?

Might know you if so  :shock:

kev w

Stanground School by any chance?

Might know you if so  :shock:[/quote]

oh dear...yes 'til '88
\'05 Tiger 955i
\'85 Honda XL600R

rf9rider

Quote from: "kev w"Stanground School by any chance?

Might know you if so  :shock:

oh dear...yes 'til '88[/quote]

Oh well, i left in 1979, looks like i`m a bit older than you.... :oops: