News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

axle nut size

Started by daveb, April 23, 2010, 02:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveb

I need to adjust the drive chain on my 2006 model Tiger 955i. I don't have a socket larger than 24mm,
anyone got an idea what size socket I should buy? there isn't a tool in the toolkit.
it looks like 25 or 26mm?

Dave

The Midnight Rambler

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

Timbox2

Quote from: "daveb"I need to adjust the drive chain on my 2006 model Tiger 955i. I don't have a socket larger than 24mm,
anyone got an idea what size socket I should buy? there isn't a tool in the toolkit.
it looks like 25 or 26mm?

Dave

Be aware that you need far more slack than you would think, I did mine the other day and thought it looked OK, then I got on the bike and it was as tight as you like, I reckon a good 40-45mm on the side stand. When its on the main stand it looks way too slack, but its not.
2016 Tiger Sport

The Midnight Rambler

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

daveb

thanx guys for the info,

when adjusting the chain. I usually adjust then sit on the bike and get someone to check the slack.

had a problem once on a TDM where the new chain and sprockets were too tight, had to go back, they adjusted the chain with me on the bike.

I will read the advice topic

daveb

your assistance is required again, I went to adjust the chain tonight, I couldn't shift the axle nut, put the torque wrench on it 110NM still no go.... Its not a left hand thread? I traced out the thread it looks like a normal right hand thread.

I measured the chain slack (without me on the bike) chain can hit underside of swing arm, movement is about 40-50mm.

usually I get someone to check the slack on my old TDM when I sit on it, just to make sure slack in chain was correct for that bike.

The tiger is still new to me and your help is appreciated.

covered 1000 miles in the 1st month.

Cheers

Dave

KuzzinKenny

Hey daveb !! thought i`d seen that avatar before ;)

go looky here.............

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5025

everythin ya need, me thinks !!

KK

ps you`ll need a 36mm socket if ya ever need the front sprocket off !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

daveb

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey daveb !! thought i`d seen that avatar before ;)

Hey Kenny, I am confused & puzzled now...I have used this avatar on various forums for about 9yrs / 10yrs

give us a clue, is it me your recognise with the same avatar? I am confused.

thinking gocmc?, TDM owners, organic image, Triumph rat.... any of these

back on track, my buddy in work checked the chain slack with me on the machine and the slack was 35-40mm, so no need to adjust the chain.

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "daveb"
Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey daveb !! thought i`d seen that avatar before ;)

Hey Kenny, I am confused & puzzled now...I have used this avatar on various forums for about 9yrs / 10yrs

:lol:  no, not that far back !! just over on TR.net !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

daveb

ha ah I see, said the blind man. I know who you are now  :D

someone beat me to my usual login as 'DaveB' so I had to think of another user name so I used my surname.

http://dashack.co.uk/gocmc/