News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Offroad Tiger

Started by McB, August 30, 2004, 12:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McB

Hi @ all,

here at the border to Poland is a fantastic area for offroad and adventurerides, so I decided to protect the engine a little bit more as it comes from the factory. :wink:

Greetz McB

PeterO

Quote from: "McB"Hi @ all,

here at the border to Poland is a fantastic area for offroad and adventurerides, so I decided to protect the engine a little bit more as it comes from the factory. :wink:

Greetz McB

OOO!!  OOO!! OOO!!   Where did that nice big sump guard come from ?

I had one like that on my old steamer....

Peter

newmanr19

wow; where did you get that honking snow-shovel looking thing made? - I need to have someone build me one for a ride coming up in the Washington Cascades.. nice touch with the tiger stripes

McB

Hello again,

this accessories comes from http://www.desertstorm-bike.de

But i dont know if they deliver to foreign countries. Pls send a mail to ask them.

But realize, it is only a part for offraod riding and has got no approval to use it on the road (like the silencer made by Triumph).

It also has a "nice price" but thats even better than to buy the whole new engine when you hit a big stone.

These Desertstorm-Bike covers are fully handmade so it will take a longer period till you can mount it under your bike. My one was one of the prototypes in 2002 and i had waited nearly 5moths till i got it. But since I'm really happy  8)

And the best? It's not like a "snow-shovel"  :wink: - it looks like a surfbord from the side but it's not wider than an Africa Twin guard so its also no problem to have much fun in curves.

Greetz again.

flyaway

That looks coooool... :shock:

At the moment I'm looking for a tiger. Last week I visited the nearest triumph-dealer to ride on a tiger the first time ......it's a great bike! I needed only a few meters to fall in love.

But your green tiger looks really great!

cya, fly

(Gr¬?Ô¨Çe aus -D-)  :wink:

Sincs

Hey Sweet bike  :wink:

Just had a look at the desert storm web site gonna get one of those bash plates they look awesome. Where did you get those extra headlights from are they xenon ones and are they any good. I'm considering the touratech ones but gotta keep my options open...

Anyway Nice bike Happy off roading

Chris

McB

Thx Sincs,

maybe this helps you.  Visit http://www.hella.com and search for hella micro and download the pdf file. Side 11 Xenon lights, side 12 micro de lights. My ones are lower quality lights and are looking better than they could show you the way out of the dark  :?  

:wink:

Cu online or offroad

McB

Just a short update 2005 ;-)

-Exels rear and front (front now changed to 21x1,85)

-Rear suspension changed with an extended Wilbers

-Cutted MRA Screen

Edit: 4a larger pic view my sig

tigertomme

Quote from: "McB"Hi @ all,

Greetz McB

Hey i'm thinking of taking my '98 tiger from london, through north holland, north germany and then through north poland (to come back southern track) very soon so i would appreciate any tips you have or places to have some fun....also, what kind of tyres do you have (i gather offroad) and how did you find them on the road?

many thanks, my email is mailto:tdski@hotmail.com">tdski@hotmail.com if it helps.

BykBoy

Nice!

Did you paint the front fork? Also, where did you get the metal brake lines?
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

BigDave

Quote from: "McB"Just a short update 2005 ;-)

-Exels rear and front (front now changed to 21x1,85)

-Rear suspension changed with an extended Wilbers

-Cutted MRA Screen

SWEET!!!!!!!
 8)

McB

Hello guys, sorry for the late answer. :?

Quoteappreciate any tips you have or places to have some fun....

Hello Tigertomme,

for real offroading only Poland is recommend. In "northwest" Germany it is still possible to find offroad tracks, in "northeast" Germany its easy to ride offroad. Here you got often two ways to go to the next village one times onroad and one times offroad.

But Poland is like a paradise for ADVRides. Most of the roads are not fastened. So its possible that a bus with passengers comes the same way as you were come when you have a lunchbreak in the middle of a big forrest (there are often banks and tables near the "streets"  :wink: to do a short break.

No need to say that its possible the bus stops and the guys are watching you and try to ask you some questions.

But i cant you suggest some special roads, simply try it for yourself.

Chaep good food, friendly people... round about 30 km (~20miles) after you have passed the german border.

Tyres? I prefer Metzeler TKC80 (offroad/wintertyres with speedindex 160km/h (~100miles)) superb grip on and offroad. But it is not the best choice in deep mud.

Max. lifetime in hard offroading only 3000km (~1850 miles) on traveling up to 9000km (5600miles). I will not change to another tyre next time.

QuoteDid you paint the front fork? Also, where did you get the metal brake lines?

Hi BykBoy,

yes its only painted. It looks a little bit more aggressive than without the paint.

The breaklines comes from http://www.allegricesare.it called B.H. Tubi Freno. Direktlink: http://www.allegricesare.it/bh1.htm

Its a various system for your own creations. Its also avalable in black, but it wasn't at the moment i needed them  :cry:

I had installed two separate brakelines from top to the brakesaddles becaus of the possibility to install a high frontfender later (maybe). But the prototype looked not so good as like i thought...  :? The fender from a black Steamer looks better and also more aggressive  :twisted:

QuoteSWEET!!!!!!!

big thx  :D

Greetz2all

McB

johnyC

Hi guys, my first post.

I had a t'bird sport for a couple of years, lovely bike but struggled two up with luggage touring in Norway this year. Just traded it for a black '01 955 Tiger, mainly to better cope with the two up touring. Anyhow, to the point:

A year ago I also had a 1000 Varadero (didn't keep it long, lost a lot of money on it) I wanted to get a Desert Storm belly pan for it, even tried to send Jens (Hartman) the money for it, but found it almost impossible to get my bank in Scotland to transfer the funds to Jens bank in Hanover (long story, on the UK Varadero site somewhere if you want to look it up) At that time he didn't do Paypal, which he may do now, as he said he was thinking about it because of the hassle of bank transfers (another thing, even if successful it was going to cost £30 for the service!) His kit is very good but expensive, a belly pan kit for the Vara' was over £400, but he is a very helpful bloke and offered to sell me instead a bracket kit to fit an Africa Twin belly pan. I got one of these NOS from a dial-a-part breaker in England and sent Jens Euros in an envelope for the bracket kit. He may well do a bracket kit for the Tiger which would allow the fitment of the Africa Twin pan too. I don't think he advertises the brackets on his site, but if you phone him up he'll go out of his way to help you.

ps. after watching Long Way Round, I put TKC 80's on the Vara'. I only went round my garden though.
the boy\'s happy, leave him alone.

apache

Looks Great, Can you give some information on the 21 in front? Im interested also for my 97. I looking for better offroad capabilities in sand/rock.

Thanks.

McB

Hi there,

@Johnny, i talked with the guys from Desertstorm some years ago about the problem to mount an AT cover at the Tiger. I had testet it for myself and was very scared after the first testride. I put in on the ground while driving some curves, wow  :shock: what a shock.

The reason was simple. After some modifications the cover fits the form of a Tiger engine but the bottom plate still was to wide.

Jens told me that their cover had an opening for the third exhaust tube so the difference to the ground is bigger than with a regular AT cover.

The second prob was the length of the AT cover. There is no possibility to find a real stable 4point fortifiction.

The DS-cover is long enough to be mounted under the framework at the right side and with special bracket at the left side. The frontbracket is only one long brace.

But I suggest not to use it alone for the front. I also talked about this with Jens at a local KTM Adventuremeeting this year.

For offroading it's recommend to modify the cover when using Touratech crashbars or when using H&B crashbars to modify them in length.

For both options you still need two brackets more to have a really good 6point fortification.

Attention - Touratech comes out with an own cover - first pics can be watched here. But there is no need to translate the german text in the picture. It ist the description for their Varadero engine cover  :?

Thats all for theme one  :wink:

@apache - if you already have enduro experiences a 21" wheel is recommend for riding in deep sand  :wink: . If not pls first try to collect some with the 19" and mainly handling the weight of the Tiger in the needed speedrange.

:wink: I think for for Mudhen, Dieter (with the green T4 and me it was the best choice ever.  :twisted:

To use a  21"wheel in your T4 is no problem. Also the original fender fits the bigger size, but there is not enough space to drive through mud. If you want to mount a high fender call Mudhen  :wink:

The only real problem using a bigger wheel is the speedometer. Speed goes up to ~4% so just use a GPS  8)

Cu online or offroad

McB