News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

It flies

Started by Brock, September 01, 2004, 09:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock

Took her in for the 2 recalls today. As I walked through the workshop to stick the key in and ride her home, the mechanic Mark (who's worked there for about 12 years and loves Tigers) said;

"Bloody hell mate...that Tiger flies...how did you run her in?"

(She's done 2,000 miles)

Thing is, I followed exactly how he'd told me to run her in when I picked her up in July.

Gave me a nice warm feeling inside.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Drofsereb

Can you confirm what the recalls were for?  I got an 05 model back in July, and haven't heard anything from the dealer.  Should I have?

echoyankee

Well, one of them assuredly is for the fuel connectors.  

The second, um, well, I'll be watching this thread if anyone else can help me out here.   :oops:

echoyankee

Brock

See my thread "Recalls" at the bottom of the thread list. Neither of these recalls are anything to worry about.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Drofsereb

ArizonaKid

I beg to differ. . . Two weeks ago on a 5-day trip into southeastern Utah my wife (on a BMW F650GS) and I (on my 02 Tiger) pulled into the visitor's center of Castle Reef National Park, which is literally out in the middle of nowhere. I smelled gas and when I looked closely at the motor I saw gas dripping from under the left side of the tank. I pulled the seat and located the feed and return lines and sure enough the return line (red) was leaking at the elbow of the fitting. When I wiggled it with my finger it broke clean off.  The hose end shut off, but the male fitting was broken off in the female fitting that's in the tank and gas was running all over the motor. I removed the side panel and was able to fish the fitting out and the auto shut off feature of that side of the fitting stopped the flow of gas.  Thinking, "Now what?" I tried to start the bike hoping it would run. At that point I didn't know if it was the return line or the feed line. Fortunately it was the return line that broke and the bike started up and ran fine with no leak.  On a wing and a prayer, we made it back to civilization without any problem and I took the Tiger in that week and had the fittings replaced and the 12K service performed.  If the feed line had broken I would have been facing a huge towing bill and the loss of several road days.  I knew about the fitting recall before we left, but had the same attitude of the author of this comment, no big deal.  Boy was I wrong! It could have been a very big deal.  The lesson here is, if you haven't had those funkey plastic fittings replaced, you'd better do it as quickly as you can.  Being stranded in the middle of nowhere 800 miles from the nearest Triumph dealer is not the way to spend valuable road time.  Enough said.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger