News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch

Started by threepot, January 15, 2019, 10:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Fitted new friction plates last weekend. Everything ok. Strange thing is,the old plates are the same thickness as the new ones?😕 Only thing I can think of is i ran the bike for a while using Castrol Power fully synth. I have read that fully synth oil can cause slip?? 're filled with Motul semi.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

ssevy

If it was automobile oil with the friction reducers blended in, it is conceivable. The synthetic auto oils are especially slippery for better gas mileage according to some?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Lee337

That was my understanding too, Synth oil is more slippery, so not ideal in wet clutch bikes. Although you can get bike specific fully synth oil (like Mobil 1) that are usually for high performance sports/competition engines and costs a fortune. Car engine oil usually has additives in it to increase lubrication & while I've heard of riders who use car oil (including that for diesel engines), I don't think I'd mistreat my engines that badly.

Personally, I won't use fully synth in anything other than a car. I've always used part synth in my last 5 bikes without any problems (Kawasaki ZX6R,Yamaha XTZ750, Aprilia RSVR, Blackbird & Tiger 955i ). Probably did in earlier bikes too but can't remember.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

threepot

Castrol Power was the bike specific type. 10w/40.
Triumph recommended fully synth in the Super3,and Daytona 1200. Same clutch.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sparky

Synthetic, Dino, Vegetable, Cooking or Coconut oil.... as long as the oil has one of the following JASO designations it will work in a wet clutch application.  Most automotive oils do not have this designation Shell Rotella 15W40 Diesel oil has this designation I use this on all my older bikes.

"The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system friction test."
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

rf9rider

What sort of job was doing the clutch?

Mines been standing a while and i have no clutch, i`ve bled it and still nothing?

I`m guessing plates have stuck together?

rybes

Try putting it in gear and rocking it back and forth. That sometimes loosens them or you could try pulling the clutch in over night. It relieves the pressure on the plates and allows oil in.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

I can run the motor and go through the gears, but have no clutch, it has been standing a while.

I`ll try pulling the lever in overnight, Thanks Rybes.

Thing is we now have a moving date, i`ve only got a couple of weeks before we move to Spain!

threepot

Easy job to do. Get a new gasket,and torque clutch basket cover bolts 10 nm.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rf9rider

Thanks Chaps, i`ll have a look and hope to get it done before we move, as i need to sell it before we go  :icon_frown:

rf9rider

Thanks Rybes, your suggestion of leaving the clutch pulled in overnight worked, so i can get it MOT`ed this week and up for sale!

rybes

Brilliant news  :occasion14 want to know the funny bit? I've never heard of doing it it was just an idea I had that made sense to me. I'm a genius  :wings :icon_lol:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

rf9rider

I`d heard of doing it with the brakes to help with bleeding.