News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A little tire education please

Started by Bob Tosi, June 08, 2010, 07:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

Riding a 98 Steamer.

I am currently running  front:  Michelin Pilor Road  110/80R-19

rear:  Michelin Pilot Road  150/70ZR-17

My questions are:

1)  can I use a front tire of 100/90-19, a little narrower and taller

2) can I use a rear tire of  130/90-17, a little narrower and taller.

I think the number after the width (ie: 100/90  <  is the profile height), correct?

Will a little narrower tire adversely affect ny ride?

I want to ride off road more and have found Kenda tires to be good on price and get good reviews but the sizes are a little weird.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

Mustang

Bob
I know what tires you want to use they are the Kenda Trackmasters
these photos are of the same size tires you are asking about

The good
they fit on the steamer and clear the front fender no problem

The Bad
They will wear out faster than a cat covering shit in the sandbox (see photos )
this front has worn the knobs down badly ramped and has less  than 400 miles on it
the rear has same mileage but was at least wearing better
 the front end feels very very heavy with this knobby on there
I didn't like it too much

Bob Tosi

what affect does that ramping have on handling?  Did the tires contiune to wear fast?  If you are not "on it" on the pavement does the back wear ok?

My main concern is handleing in the off road.  I am not a speed demon on the pavement anymore and I am wnating to off road more.  I'll always be commuting everyday so its go to handle on the road but whenever I go off pavement I want to feel secure.

Over on ADVrider there are guys that have Trackmasters on their Tiger and like them. Thats why I got onto Kenda"s.

Mustang

Quote from: "Bob Tosi"If you are not "on it" on the pavement does the back wear ok?
the wear you see in the pics was at slow speed around town stuff in the winter time , probably never went more than 50 mph . you can only be "on it " so much with a sidecar . 400 miles if that and they look like they do if you only ride dirt with them they will last longer , but they are not a good value otherwise .........$120 for a set of tires that will be junk in under 1000 miles
hell a tkc will at least go a couple thou for miles
QuoteI'll always be commuting everyday so its go to handle on the road but whenever I go off pavement I want to feel secure.
You WILL chew them right up in less than a month depending on your commute.
QuoteOver on ADVrider there are guys that have Trackmasters on their Tiger and like them. Thats why I got onto Kenda"s.
that thread is 8 years old if it's the one I think you are talking about
kendas on the street simply suck and are greasy you will either
a. low side it or
b. lose the front and highside

for what you want to do you need TKC-80 or Michelin Karoos
niether are cheap , but they can tolerate pavement fairly well
if you still want to go with the kendas ........I hope you like changing tires very frequently

Bob Tosi

oh Master Yoda of the Tiger you are wise for sure.  I will listen to your wisdom.

johnnyadventurepants

\'99 Tiger 885i

Birdy68

Hi there,

OK, I'm not wanting to specifically hijack your original question, but still, I have a question about my next choice of tire for my '95 Steamer.

I ride 90% road, 10% gravel/forest tracks. So with that in mind - would I be going in the wrong direction by thinking about ordering the Michelin Anakee 2 Adventure Touring (F: 110/80 19 - R: 140/80 17)?

I have ZERO idea what tire would be good - as you may remember, I'm new to the Enduro/Tiger terrain and so feel a little lost with the choice available and the conditions (road & track) that are to be met.

Thanks in advance  :D
Birdy68
-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-
Leave the pork pies for now - get the sausage rolls while they\'re hot!

Mustang

Quote from: "Birdy68"Hi there,

I ride 90% road, 10% gravel/forest tracks. So with that in mind - would I be going in the wrong direction by thinking about ordering the Michelin Anakee 2 Adventure Touring (F: 110/80 19 - R: 140/80 17)?

Anakees will be fine for what you describe for riding conditions as would :
Metzler Tourance
Shinko 705's
Dunlop D607's

these all have very similar tread patterns and all do well on gravel roads or dirt roads

if you get into deep loose sand or lot's of mud well you are beyond what the tire can do for you especially on a steamer

I ride on dirt and gravel roads all the time with these and do just fine , they are sportbike tires  :ImaPoser

daveb

I agree with Mustang, I just checked with one of the guys I work with, he took his DL650 from South wales to iceland. the bike was fitted with Anakee's and no problems, most of the roads he was on in Iceland were gravel.

Birdy68

Thank you guys!
Right - I'm off to order  :D
Birdy68

Timbox2

Quote from: "daveb"I agree with Mustang, I just checked with one of the guys I work with, he took his DL650 from South wales to iceland. the bike was fitted with Anakee's and no problems, most of the roads he was on in Iceland were gravel.

Think I'll be trying the Anakees next, these Conti Trail Attacks are almost kaput at under 5k miles, front worse than back :cry:
2016 Tiger Sport

daveb

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "daveb"I agree with Mustang, I just checked with one of the guys I work with, he took his DL650 from South wales to iceland. the bike was fitted with Anakee's and no problems, most of the roads he was on in Iceland were gravel.

Think I'll be trying the Anakees next, these Conti Trail Attacks are almost kaput at under 5k miles, front worse than back :cry:

I got Anakee's fitted to my Tiger, the front has covered 5300 miles, but when I bought the bike I got the dealer to change the rear tyre as there was not much life left on if after 4195 miles, possible 1500 left I estimate, now the rear is Anakee 2.

Mudhen

Gotta throw in my .02 here.

I run TKCs on my street wheels...got 12k miles front/rear on my last set.  16k front/9500rear on the last set on my GS.  So how you ride makes a huge difference to your mileage.

Never ran Karoo's on my Steamer...ran them on my Scrambler and only got about 4500 out of the rear before it was going.  The traction was impressive...but that may have been the bike...
\'96 Steamer

Birdy68

Well the deed is done! Tiger got his new slipper yesterday!

I must say - they feel totally different to the cheep industrial tyres (no name) I had on before!

Thanks for your feedbacks and I wish you all many happy miles/kilometer for the future  :D
Birdy68

Timbox2

Quote from: "Mudhen"Gotta throw in my .02 here.

I run TKCs on my street wheels...got 12k miles front/rear on my last set.  16k front/9500rear on the last set on my GS.  So how you ride makes a huge difference to your mileage.

Your roads must be made of rubber, no idea how you get that sort of mileage out of any tyre, do you use the throttle and brakes? :shock:
2016 Tiger Sport