News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Reving between gear shifts.

Started by Dick Boyer, September 03, 2004, 08:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Boyer

Hey, anyone out there hear of this problem? Since switching to full    synthetic oil during normal shifting the engine reves between gears. Don't tell me I don't know how shift. Been riding 30 years. I physically have to shut the throttle wait 1/2 second, pull in the clutch and then shift for it to act normal. This is an 04 Tiger. Any ideas before I go to the dealer?

Badger

Quote from: "Dick Boyer"Hey, anyone out there hear of this problem? Since switching to full    synthetic oil during normal shifting the engine reves between gears. Don't tell me I don't know how shift. Been riding 30 years. I physically have to shut the throttle wait 1/2 second, pull in the clutch and then shift for it to act normal. This is an 04 Tiger. Any ideas before I go to the dealer?

I cannot see how changing oil can do what you describe. I don't suppose you adjusted the throttle cable slack at the same time?
Growing Old Disgracefully

Bushwhacker

Just because B follows A does not mean A caused B.  I don't think your switch to synthetic has anything to do with the reving.

Sounds like a sticky throttle cable.

-
When you look like a rude, crude, scum-sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions.

2000 Thunderbird Sport - Yellow w/Ghost Flames

2007 Tiger - White w/ABS

2005 Jeep Wrangler - Blue

Brock

Haven't been using your heated grips have you? Some of the newer ones are tending to bind a bit when they get hot, making it seem like the throuttle's stuck open. Take R/H bar end off, insert small washer, refit bar end and problem should go away (if that's what it is!).
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Dick Boyer

Thanks a lot Bushwhacker and Badger. It was indeed throttle adjustment. I had fooled with it before as there was slack in the cable. Unlike carburated bikes fuel injected ones don't like all the slack taken out. A lesson well learned.

Green Geck0

Adjusting the throttle cable? Trying to make it go faster so you could catch that green '02 down the street?   :lol:

Lucifertiger

I think i know your problem, I used to have an 02 model but have an 03 model now, it did the same thing as if there was a delay when you throttled off, got the dealer to check the cables, throttle body everything, turn out some voltages in the fuel injection or engine management were wrong, it was a very frustrating and difficult problem to fix but when he worked out what the problem was they fixed it for good! :twisted:

Dick Boyer

Thanks for the tip. I thought I had the problem cured with the throttle cable but it seems to persist. I'll wait till winter to bring it in as the dealer could take awhile. Meantime I'll shift carefully.