News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

adjustable fork preload

Started by pizzaman383, June 25, 2010, 02:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pizzaman383

I've been less than thrilled with the lack of adjustment on the Girly forks.  I had eyed some adjustable fork caps that I thought might fit (I looked for triumph bikes with 43mm adjustable forks).  Since I just ordered some progressive fork springs I thought it was a good time to try.

They fit!  I bought fork caps for a 2004 Triumph Speed Four from bikebandit.com and they fit just fine.  The parts needed are the fork cap and spring guide (a washer that pushes on the fork spring).  I'm sure I'll need to adjust the length of the spacer but that shouldn't be a problem.

My fork springs haven't yet arrived but I'm psyched that I'll have adjustable preload up front!  :D

Edited  to add Part Numbers:
Fork Cap - Bike Bandit number 1379171 (5557536-001)  Triumph number 2040071-T0301
Spring Guide - Bike Bandit number 1379181 (5557546-001) Can't find the Triumph part number
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Hatepylons

Am I really reading this? Adjustable front forks on the Girly? Please keep us updated!

walker

you just replace the fork caps and a the top washers with the adjustable preload versions... you can do this with a lot of bikes.

It's not the same as having an adjustable suspension up front - for preload and damping.

If you have a need for adjusting front preload (like really different loads on the bike), it's interesting. Adjustable damping would be more interesting to me (preload I don't need to change often).

Cool idea - keep us posted on how it goes!

Hatepylons

Quote from: "walker"It's not the same as having an adjustable suspension up front - for preload and damping.

Walker - I understand what you mean.

Still, I'd love to be able to add just a smidge more front spring pre-load, as it would help to eliminate a bit of "float" on the street (even though I realize that pre-load is not a function of dampening).

walker

yeah - for some people it could be useful, really depends on what oil you have in there now, spring rates, types of tire.... my particular setup wouldn't do much for me, but others would have a totally different, and better, benefit!

So - it will be nice to see the result here - plus all the parts listed and instructions so that if others could benefit, it's all documented. That's the really important part!

Advwannabe

Adjustable damping is a nice to have, correct spring rate and sag may be even more important.

Nice work Pizzaman, keep us posted
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

pizzaman383

I installed my fork caps (along with Hyperpro progressive springs).  

The cap install went well.  The adjustable caps extend 1 to 1.5" into the fork beyond the normal caps and give about 5/8" range of adjustment.  I wanted to have shorter preload spacers but couldn't find PVC pipe that was the right outside diameter so I cut the steel spacers.  I used a chop saw and then filed/polished the ends to that they were very smooth.

I've got my rear shock out waiting for my Hyperpro to arrive (they made a mistake and need to send me a different shock).  It will be a couple of weeks before I get that but I wanted to give an update.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

pizzaman383

Okay, I've ridden enough to give an update.  These adjustable fork caps ROCK!!

Now, here's the deal with the caps.  I've been setting the ride height of the bike with the rear shock preload adjustment; basically, I set the rear preload to keep the rear end at the same height regardless of the load (with the stock shock that was usually maxed out).  Having the adjustable fork caps lets you dial in the quickness of the handling to be exactly what you want.  I rode a couple of miles, reduced the front preload, rode a couple of more miles, reduced some more, and repeated until it was just what I wanted.  I like it to be quite responsive for twisty roads; if I do a long trip or gravel roads, I'd increase the front preload.  The ease and accessibility of the adjustment and the fine-tuning the caps allow is sweet.  You accomplish the same changes by moving the fork tubes up and down but it's so much more effort that it's much less likely that you'll change it; you set it once then don't change it.

I looked at the $40 or so per cap and wasn't sure it would be worth it.  I'm sold on it, now.  For less than $100 you gain fine-tuning ability that I think is great.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger