News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1200 Multistrada

Started by Chris Canning, June 30, 2010, 07:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Had my first ride on one today,as i've ridden a 955 with a 17" front wheel for some years,an interesting comparison,and while it may not interest the folk who like to motocross their bikes!!,when prices become a little more realistic(secondhand) an option,or be it a fast one.

The 5 engine maps,were all like chalk and cheese which was also interesting.

JetdocX

Please explain the "chalk and cheese" comment?  I have a bike with three fuel maps and I only use one.  It's like a "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" situation.
From parts unknown.

chairhead

Quote from: "JetdocX"Please explain the "chalk and cheese" comment?
:lol: Very different from one and other.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Chris Canning

What i didn't say was how planted the bike was,i've spent hours trying to sort my Tiger out,the back isn't bad,but the front defies all attempts because of the poor forks,so it's all but impossible to avoid the sea sick routine if you riding the bike hard, and mine is set up pretty stiff to say the leased,where as the multi had non of the weight transfer problem.

JetdocX

I got rid of that by adding emulators and a .9kg spring to the front forks.

Five maps and they are all very different?  Seems like one map and a good right hand would be all you need for a fun ride, right?  :lol:

Mine has three:
Boring zzzzzzzzz
HOLY MOTHER OF THE BLESSED ACCELERATION! :shock:
and
Just right.
From parts unknown.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "JetdocX"I got rid of that by adding emulators and a .9kg spring to the front forks.

And absolutely no feel, apart from riding over a railway sleeper in the middle of the road been there done that!!,thats the forks not the sleeper :wink: ,and an Ohlins on the back.

Re the maps,not only you get a change of map,but a change of suspension,and then you can go to a different mode to fine tune it!!,after a winter here in the UK with plenty of salt just what you want :( ,with all the electronic gubbins on it.

oxnsox

QuoteHOLY MOTHER OF THE BLESSED ACCELERATION!    
It's an Italian thing...

I've read some reviews on the Duke and it'd look right nice in the shed, but like you Chris me thinks that it'll only happen when there's a few used ones around.... which ain't likely
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris Canning

Quote from: "oxnsox"
QuoteHOLY MOTHER OF THE BLESSED ACCELERATION!    
It's an Italian thing...

I've read some reviews on the Duke and it'd look right nice in the shed, but like you Chris me thinks that it'll only happen when there's a few used ones around.... which ain't likely

Have no fear there will be loads,regardless what the bikeing world say about Duc owners their never strapped for a bob or two,some of financial kickings i've seen 1198r owners take :( ,it won't be long till multis are at the right price,the main problem as i see it will be getting a stocker,non of the fancy electrical stuff and i include ABS in that as well,when their a few years old and out of warranty just like BMW's K1200(i've got one) they will be a nightmare,the less on them the better,and to be honest,most will ride in sports mode anyway.

jonathan jaecks

I've yet to be convinced that the new multi will make me a better rider...faster yes, but not better.  I'm cautiously optimistic that the early adopters will not have too many electrical gremlins as I'm expecting them to start showing up on the used market in a few years.  The msrp is just waaaay to high for me to buy in considering the cost of ownership/farkeling/upkeep.  That said, personally, I'd rather they developed bike with less electronic fuckery and just priced it a few $k lower, I have no real need for 4 bikes in one, just one... thank you very much.

brad1098

Looked at the new Multistrada last month at dealer.  Way cool bike, no doubt. BUT $20,000?!? come on, that's like 3-4 good used bikes!
02 black-Lorna

Chris Canning

Quote from: "jonathan jaecks"I've yet to be convinced that the new multi will make me a better rider...faster yes, but not better.  I'm cautiously optimistic that the early adopters will not have too many electrical gremlins as I'm expecting them to start showing up on the used market in a few years.  The msrp is just waaaay to high for me to buy in considering the cost of ownership/farkeling/upkeep.  That said, personally, I'd rather they developed bike with less electronic fuckery and just priced it a few $k lower, I have no real need for 4 bikes in one, just one... thank you very much.

You can buy a basic model as in very!!,no fancy electrics/abs or anything else.

Thats a strange one about buying a bike to make you a better rider,I always thought you got good first and bought the bike after :roll:

Nick Calne

Don't know about that.  Don't you find a new bike often changes your style and makes you learn new ways of riding?  I'd love a multistrada, gizmo's or no....it's a modern steamer!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "nickcalne"....it's a modern steamer!

:shock:  I'm not going to bite .............. sod it! NO WAY :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Advwannabe

I remember when all the olds and bolds pooh poohed FI. Yeah good call guys....  :roll:

Admittedly I can see more application for the adjustable suspension than the switchable maps, but I can definately see the point on a 150hp bike with long travel suspension.

Once the Japs take it out of BMW and Ducati's hands and make it reliable we will all wonder how we did without it.

Just imagine when they make solenoid tech good enough to do away with camshafts.

You could have a 19" front wheel Tiger with 150hp and electronically lowered suspension to help on road cornering.

Then when the road turns to gravel, you shorten the solenoid valve lift and duration, lenghten the suspension and you've got a long travel 90hp torque monster that's perfect for the dirt.

Lastly, you optomise the valve duration for optimum economy and set the suspension for the long cruise down the highway.

Yeah I know they are really struggling to get solenoids to do the job, but its only a matter of time before infinately variable, camless valve timing
becomes available

I reckon its only 5 years away and personally, I can't wait.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

jonathan jaecks

Being occasionally realistic since I use my Tiger to both commute and do long weekend tours of the country (Nm, Co, Ut, etc.) I really need a ride with range, moderate all day comfort, and panniers that will fit a full face helmet.  That makes the list of fun bikes rather short.  1050 luggage capacity is the size of my Subaru's dash box (and about the same useless internal shape), tho the bike is great. I have zero desire for a shaft drive of any manufacture, and the Multi's price and range are not where I'd really like them to be...  I mean, really...an AT bike in the desert southwest without decent range is not exactly confidence inspiring.
I could be tempted once they fix a few first release gremlins and hit the (price reduced) used market.  Mostly I just see myself carving up canyons at 90 mph instead of 80 mph...?