News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thinkin of buyin a Tiger

Started by RiverRat, September 08, 2004, 03:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRat

I've been lookin around and reading your forum and advrider to find out what adventure tourer I might want.  I've considered the GS but they're real heavy and have some final drive problems and I can't afford the new KTM.   How reliable are the Tigers for long trips and how about comfort for 2 up riding long distance, I plan on doing mostly road but don't want the dirt to stop me.  Will the Tigers put over 100K miles on them like the jap bikes  or can I expect a rebuild before then.  My spending limit is about $7k so it would be a used one.  I really like the looks of the mid 90's Tigers(885 I think?) but are the 955i's much more reliable or better?  What type of problems might I encounter with the 955i or the 885 small or large?  Any of your opinions and sugestions are appreciated.

CormacG

I had a '96 Tiger for 68,000 miles (could easily have done 100,000) and have recently bought a '05. I've been across France, Switzerland, Germany, Ireland and England with full Givi Panniers and differing sized Girlfriends from fun size to super size. The old Tiger got was a bit of a handfull after about 80mph with the panniers on but it was manageable and I can say that I never had any problems with it mechanically.

The new one is a lot better though, the steering Geometry has been improved a great deal and although the longest trip I've done so far is about 500 miles I can tell you it's a much better motorway machine. Doesn't buffet about in the wind as much (I still have nightmares about the old Severn Bridge) and has much more top end power than the last, it does of course mean that it doesn't have nearly as much grunt as the '96 which is a pity - I used to like that.

Regarding off road - hmmm...  I've done very little of that - mostly involuntary but I don't really think it's the best machine for that sort of thing.
Drivers wearing hats are to be avoided.

RiverRat

I don't intend on doing any hard core off roading in it, it would be more of dirt roads and jeep trail sort of thing.  I've seen some guys taking thier tigers in some pretty mean stuff but I've also seen them do it in a GS wich I don't think is the smartest thing to do in that heavy of a bike.  You say the 05 is a much better bike, is it the same for the 01 and 02 models?  I could probally afford a 01 if I find a good deal otherwise it would be an older bike.  What year did they change the cosmetics of the bike...98, 99? and was it just the looks or are all of the newer lookin ones a 955i? Were your girlfriends happy with the comfort on the long trips?

Slainte'

MikeBenzon

Riverrat, I am only a recent convert to an 05 Tiger, so I can't speak to earlier models. I have been around the Trumph models since 2000. I purchased a 2000 Sprint ST. I think Triumph started putting the 955i motor in the Tigers in 2001, US models. I believe the bikes have been pretty much the same from 2001 through 2004. The 2005 models got some rework on the front end suspension and a few other minor mods. I haven't heard much mention of the 2005 seat, but I find it a major improvement over any seat I have ever sat upon. What say you, fellow 05 owners, is the new seat fantastic? It is some kind of gel foam and you can feel it form to your hind end in minutes. I can ride for hours on hours without any discomfort.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

CormacG

Riverrat,

Regarding the girlfriends it depended on two things - 1. The size of the lady in question 2. The patience of the lady in question. The pillion on the Tiger is a lot better than other bikes (especially sports bikes) because it has plenty of leg room and the high position means more of a view. I haven't taken herself on the new one yet but I'm a bit worried about the heatshield because it's a lot smaller that the last one(s).

I don't know too much about the bikes from '01 to '04 because I was far too enamoured with my black '96. I avoided getting a new one because I just liked my old one TOO much and I really did not like the looks of the new one. In the end I only got the '05 because the '96 was getting a little bit past it's prime and I couldn't resist the offer of the new wheels, heated grips and luggage, but that's only on the '05. Another thing that's important is that the centre of gravity on the old one is quite high, that, coupled with the long forks and softer suspension make it a lot tricker on dirt roads and just braking in general. I believe that when they remodelled the Tiger all of that went away.

Mike,

Yes indeed the 2005 seat is a wonderful thing.
Drivers wearing hats are to be avoided.

Brock

Riverrat...you won't be disappointed if you go for any bike post 2001. I started off with a 2001 I bought used, and its only problems were some corrosion on fittings and the lower engine paint, together with a couple of minor fluid leaks sorted under warranty. I think the bike had a neglected life before I had it.

I loved the bike so much I just bought a brand new one...my first ever new bike, an '04 (spoked). The build quality seems so much better than my old one, with stainless used now in many of the problem areas. And the engine paint is sooo thick. As for comfort, I've never had a bike that's so good for distances.

The "improvements" they introduced with the '05 don't amount  to much IMHO. Mainly cosmetic. My advice would be to source a really low mileage '03 or '04, that's been well looked after by a doting owner, then just sit back and enjoy.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Badger

Quote from: "Brock"...The "improvements" they introduced with the '05 don't amount  to much IMHO. Mainly cosmetic...

What do you mean improvements. They have messed up the looks. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob
Growing Old Disgracefully

Brock

That's why I put inverted comma's around the word "improvements".

Why do you think I bought an '04?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

PeterO

Quote from: "Brock"The "improvements" they introduced with the '05 don't amount  to much IMHO. Mainly cosmetic. My advice would be to source a really low mileage '03 or '04, that's been well looked after by a doting owner, then just sit back and enjoy.

Improvements seem to have been cosmetic,  in real engineering areas they seem to have gone backwards (swinging arm design, fuel injection problems (poor idle and rough running 2000-3000 rpm) , transmission vibrations.  All of these problems have been reported by several '05 owners on the various lists/forums.

Peter   BRG '05 (which still doesn't run smoothly between 2000 and 3000 rpm)

SIBBO

Looks like it could be a bargain for a uk buyer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=50038

unless of course you are in the us,then its really no help at all.

BP_LONDON

I'm as happy as a pig in mud with my 7000k 02 black tigger. It was also not perfectly taken care of (some corroded nuts etc) bit it runs smooth and strong. it never fails to start up except if I accidentally touch the throttle before hitting the starter.

RiverRat

The girlfriend only weighs about 130lbs so she don't affect the bike like some of these bigger gals I see on the back of some Harleys.  She's like a damn woodpecker on the back of my TL tho, every time I brake I hear the clack of her helmet against mine but that bike has poor ergos(same ergos as a Duc 916)   I'm not concerned with corrosion on bolts and nuts I'd assume I can get a SS bolt kit for it somewhere righ?  My biggest concern was going on a cross country trip or being in the middle of nowhere and the bike breaking down but by the sound of it the Tigers seem reliable.  I like the looks of the older Tigers(mid 90's) better but the 01's and newer sound like they are a big improvement and the way I should go.  Whats the highest mileage you've seen on a Tiger, will they commonly go over 100k?(I put on allot of miles and keep my bikes for a long time)  

So whats the going rate for an 01 or an 02?  can I get one less then $7k easy enough? with luggage or should I buy aftermarket bags.  What are the first accesories I should get for it?  Sorry for all the questions but I want to take advantage of the weath of info on this site :wink:

tigerowner_ut

I have a 99 885 tiger and IMO I think that the 99 and 00 models are overlooked more times than not.  I rode an 04 the other day back to back with my 99 and saw no overhealming reason to upgrade.  They both rode almost identically.  The 04 had a slight acceleration advantage and clearly would be faster above 100 but otherwise pretty close.  The best part about a 99-00 is that they can be found for under $4500 any day of the week.  Rear wheel HP shows the 885 at 72 hp and the 955 at 85 hp.

Nothing against the 01+ bikes they are a little better but the 885 is not far off.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)