News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 1055i?

Started by tigerjohn, September 09, 2004, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerjohn

So, the Sprint's going to 1055cc for 2005 and the 'tona in 2006?

Can we assume the Tiger follows in 2007?  Will it sport a 3 underseat pipe arrangement? - would look cool, but might not feel it!

Or is it all just rumour?

MikeB

The new Speed Triple is also 1055, just had a preview of the catalogue
------------------------------------------------

2005 Tiger - silver

1997 T\'Bird- black

robbo

The Tiger would be really good with more horses so long as it doesnÌt gain any more weight÷
best Regards

Robbo

Chris Canning

I've always found it strange just because people want a comfotable prctical bike doesn't mean they want a bike with less horsepower,1050 at least although i have to say i'm putting everything on hold to see if Triumph come out with answer to the Multistrade.

Chris

robbo

Quote from: "Chris Canning"i'm putting everything on hold to see if Triumph come out with answer to the Multistrade.

Chris

Thinking back to the mock-up of the Sport Tiger some posted a while back. I would by that bike.

I personally got a tiger for its comfort, usability and touring ability. I hardly ever go off road and when I do itÌs a gravel track or forest road. I would prefer if it was geared and tuned a bit more like an ST.

I had a conversation once with my dealer where we decided if I was willing to spend the money there should be no reason why I couldnÌt drop an ST or Daytona 955 gearbox into my tiger and get the engine remapped to match, itÌs the same engine after all. ( just a thought if anyone wants to try it ) :twisted:

Robbo
best Regards

Robbo

Brock

Judging by the pictures in MCN I think they've done a good job of updating the appearance of the Sprint ST, although I'm not sure about the headlamps. Maybe they'll look better in the flesh.

Like I said before...if Triumph had used the same designer who worked on the updated Daytona 600 when they "improved" the Tiger, maybe the '05 Tiger would have been a more striking update.

Maybe if they increase the capacity, lose a bit of weight, and ask the "Daytona" guy to bring the appearance up to date, we'll be looking at a more meaningful upgrade in a couple of years time.

Like Chris C. I'll be waiting in the wings 'till then...

Is it me, or was it bloody cold this morning?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

A bit thin!! thrashed up to Oulton park today for the BSB round even avoided most of the rain!!

Chris

ChrisN

More cc isn't the be all and end all to me. I think thats more an American thing (no offence to those over the pond). The real key is power to weight ratio. Triumph could extract more BHP for the Tiger if they liked from the current 955i and reduce overall weight.

Whats more important is they bring out a totally new Tiger model thats got updated looks as well as technical improvements. To me, the 05 is just tweaking an already popular model just to keep sales ticking over. Its the sort of thing car manufacturers do before they launch a "full-blown" replacement model.

I just hope Triumph have the resources and foresight to acheive this. I for one am not tempted to upgrade to the current Tiger from my 04 whether it be now, next year or the year after that.

Hinkley ?, are you listening...... ?
Chris

newmanr19

Quote from: "ChrisN"More cc isn't the be all and end all to me. I think thats more an American thing (no offence to those over the pond).

your probably right; but this yank would prefer less weight, lower CG and better suspension for more serious off-road abilities. I hate to say it but with the direction Triumph seems to be going with making the Tiger more of a road bike, I for one will probably be looking to replace my 02 much sooner then I had anticipated and will be looking much harder at the BMW 1200 GS; especially when they roll out the Adventure version. I just don't understand some who would want the Tiger to simply be a Sprint with an upright seating position.

Chris Canning

The people at Triumph do not consider the Tiger to be an off roader or even remotely close,haveing been to the factory and posed the question,there just isn't the market for them(as a proper offroader) to sell in any quantity and thats what bike manafactureing is all about.

Have look at that bloody cruiser thing!!,i'm what a pigs ear one of the great horrors of the 21st century but Triumph know there are mugs out there that will buy it,as opposed to the Busa project which they pulled the plug because trying to sell 190mph motorbikes for peanuts isn't a very bright idea.

As for a bigger motor on the Tiger Hmmm,just means i don't have to rev it as much.

Chris

newmanr19

Quote from: "Chris Canning"The people at Triumph do not consider the Tiger to be an off roader or even remotely close,haveing been to the factory and posed the question,there just isn't the market for them(as a proper offroader) to sell in any quantity and thats what bike manafactureing is all about.

Have look at that bloody cruiser thing!!,i'm what a pigs ear one of the great horrors of the 21st century but Triumph know there are mugs out there that will buy it,as opposed to the Busa project which they pulled the plug because trying to sell 190mph motorbikes for peanuts isn't a very bright idea.

As for a bigger motor on the Tiger Hmmm,just means i don't have to rev it as much.

Chris

So maybe it's a lost cause; but I see Tigers over here that are getting lots of back-country riding; if only other Tiger owners would see the value of getting them off the pavement, maybe the factory would listen. They're not as fragile or unwieldy as many seem to think they are. They are certainly as capable as the 1150 GS.

The Tiger has too much character and is too good a value for me to consider going with the expensive, ugly but capable 1200 GS at the moment; but that may change with the 1200 GS Adventure - assuming they also fix some of the critical issues with them.

tigerowner_ut

I think Triumph would do good to go back to their off-road racing heritage of the original Tiger.  I would like to see them aim their sights on the KTM and add the featrues KTM missed (tripple engine, FI, Gas Guage, comfy seat, ...)
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

ChrisN

Good debate. The interesting thing here is the diversity of what different people want from their Tigers. The fact that people already already own one and feel its close to fulfilling thier needs is good feedback. I really hope Triumph take heed of this and eventually produce a replacement model worthy of the name. I hate to say this but the new GS1200 should already be in the corner of thier design studio - with maybe the horizontal pots cut off !
Chris

newmanr19

Quote from: "ChrisN"I hate to say this but the new GS1200 should already be in the corner of their design studio

agreed; I think it would do them well to consider the success of the big GS. Maybe a Tiger Adventure model would be the perfect answer?? Make the standard Tiger with shaft drive, cast wheels, plus suspension etc. but make the Adventure model with chain drive, spoke rims, highly tunable suspension, more durable luggage and a better sump plate (for starters).

I think a lot of it is how a model is marketed. Over on the Suzuki website, the big V-Strom can be found under the Dual-Sport category.  Not too many would take the V-Strom on a single track, but it does give the bike a disticnt position and you can actually find some decent, adventure touring type after market products for the bike after only a couple of years on the market; Triumph seems totally mystified as where to place the Tiger.

I do think this uncertainty seems to have caused a division in the camps of those that want the Tiger to evlove in to nothing more then a Sprint with upright seating, and those that hope to see it remain; or actually be re-designed to be a true competitor in the large, multi-cylinder adventure touring class bikes.

Quote- with maybe the horizontal pots cut off !

that and lopping off that huge beak would be a big improvement as far as the aesthetics go on the GS - but I guess ugly has its charm.

robbo

IÌd be happy if the new Tiger had some of the styling from the 1200GS but it would have to keep the Triumph price tag.

Bottom line, I have my gripes about the Tiger but canÌt think of anything to change it for so in that sense I guess it must be the perfect bike for me.

My main gripe is the acceleration but as mentioned earlier if the Tiger lost some weight this problem would be solved without having to do anything to the engine. This would probably improve its off road capabilities as well.
best Regards

Robbo