News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

mayday I`m stranded with my Girly

Started by yack_ass, August 17, 2010, 12:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yack_ass

So, I took my first big trip on saturday, from Slovenia trough Lichtenstein and Belgium and now I am in Normandie.
All "fine and dandy" but I am without 3rd and 4th gear.  :(

Yesterday (I was already in Normandy) I was zooming along nicely, when while accelerating and upshifting something went "kfgfhjretsg".

I broke something in the gearbox, what it is I don`t know  :(  maybe it is a gear or something else.
One of the service people (who are full till septembre) said trough the telephone there is a possibility that a fork is broken (or so I understood my grandfathers brother).

When the problem occured I rode my Tiger 955i (2001, 67000km on the clock) for a couple of miles (had no choice).
First and second gear work, but there is a lot of grinding noise comming from, the block, 3rd and 4th gear is just awfull (like a grinder, and there is no movement), but the 5th and 6th gear seem to be working normally (although there is a little "klick_klick" noise coming out):
The engine starts and fires normally.

The problem is that it would cost me 2100€ to get it back to Slovenia, so that is a no-go. I am waiting to hear from a guy who is a friend of a friend and is a mechanic so he will take a look.

My question is/are, can I and clean the gearbox of any loose material and ride the bike home without 3rd and 4th gear? I know I can, but is there any threat to my well beaing?
England is close, can you recomend any spare parts dealer in the south, who is capable of sending over night or dealer in Normandie?

Thank you for your help!

HockleyBoy

These are the contact details for Ashford Triumph (Laguna Motorcycles) nearset in the UK

Ashford Road
Kingsnorth
Ashford
TN23 3EN
Tel: 01233 636699
Fax: 01233 645787

And these are the French dealers:-

TRIUMPH CENTER | BRUAY LA BUISSIERE | 03.21.65.80.92
TRIUMPH LILLE | RONCHIN | 03 28 77 77 20  
KILOMETRE 66 | CAMON | 03 22 91 66 66
ZONE ROUGE 76 | DESVILLE LES ROUEN | 02 35 74 87 87  

Hope this helps.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

John Stenhouse

My guess would be no, you could seize the box which would not be good for your well being.
If you went the route of stripping the box to clean it, then a fix would be better.

How much time do you have? Where abouts in Normandie are you?
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

yack_ass

I'm back home and will go to pick up the Tiger in a couple of days (or next month, depends on some factors) with a car and trailor.

There was a possibility to repaire the bike there, but it would cost me over 1000€ to get it operational (not to mention the time it would take).

So I've decided to fix it myself.

Thanks to HockleyBoy and John Stenhouse for the help.

Mod can delete this thread.

Thanks.