News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top Speed

Started by New-Tiger, September 14, 2004, 02:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonCharlie

Shadow,

My Tiger pulls right to the 130 mark on flat ground, feeling pretty strong.  It feels like there is quite a bit more there.  At 120 it still feels perky as long as there isn't a R1 or something running away from me.  I often run it right up to redline through the gears, ussually not the last couple.  And I have not run out top gear, for some reason passing 130 reminds me I am being stupid.  The only modifications to my bike is the Triumph off road exhaust and the appropriate tune.  I have 44,500 miles on the Tiger and it keeps feeling better.

BTW, The major differnces in the Tiger and Datona motor are Cams and tune.  Thought compression but in 02 they both had 11.7:1.  I would guess there are more subtle differences in the airbox and exhaust.  I don't know if they put on bigger throttle bodies.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Chris Canning

I have to say the early demo that i rode ran round to 135 without batting an eyelid,but i wasn't all that suprised as Triumph are notorious for doing that to early demo bikes,god knows whta the new ST will do.

Chris

Howlin

Damn you guy's are fast! I only ride the posted speed limit and never lean it over either! :D

SIBBO

Talking of leaning over has anyone managed to scrape their footpegs :twisted:  

I can get very close [-o<  or at least it feels i do but the bike handles so well it just doesnt need to go that far,or is i just too chicken ?

Brock

I never thought it was possible to scrape the pegs on a Tiger until someone else (Blacktiger I think) said they'd done it.

Then it happened to me. Going quite slow around a Telford roundabout, with quite a nice, helpful camber. It happened so slow I even had time to think "blimey...this feels far over..."The peg just kissed the road, then the bike was upright and it was all over. It's happened a couple of times since, once on a really fast, smoothe left-hander coming out of a series of corners that had really warmed the edges of the tyres.

OK...it's not big and it's not clever. But it can be done.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

SIBBO

Looks like time for the extra strong undies and [-o<

BP_LONDON

They don't call them hero blobs for nothing [-X

newmanr19

Quote from: "52blackshadow"Brock,

LMAO!!!!!  You've been looking at too many pictures of Rollie Free (150 + on a standard Vincent over 50 years ago just by stripping to his swimming trunks (On salt flats)! Now that would have hurt had it gone wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie,

Even when fresh, my Tiger fell short of hitting 130 in normal riding conditions. I admit I never bothered enough to hold the gears all the way to the maximum, but I'd question your statement that in standard trim it should get to 140 pretty quickly?  Perhaps after it's service I'll find a long straight and really thrash it both ways to see if I can get there.

Cheers,

Shadow.

Speaking of Rollie Free; he's my hero! - not really; but pretty brave dude;  here's a photo of one of his famous poses

Brock

Yeah...what most people don't know is that this pose was quite unintentional. Rollie tragically got his bollocks caught between the rear tyre and fender. Must have made his eyes smart a bit, but he did achieve a world land speed record for his pain.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Dick Boyer

Balls out 210kmh. Seems to be faster in 5th gear than 6th. I'll have to try again. Thats 130.5 mph. Thats an 04 with 13,000kms.

SIBBO

I dont reckon we can trust the speedo at these sort of speeds GPS could give us a more accurate figure any thoughts  :?:

Chris Canning

IF you read the postings i don't think there is anyone who thinks their speedo is running correct,i'm not even sure mine is,all i can say is it's set a dam sight slower than it was,with 125 on the clock at 8000 with a 19T engine sprocket.

Chris

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Dick Boyer"Balls out 210kmh. Seems to be faster in 5th gear than 6th. I'll have to try again. Thats 130.5 mph. Thats an 04 with 13,000kms.

WOW

Quote from: "SIBBO"I dont reckon we can trust the speedo at these sort of speeds GPS could give us a more accurate figure any thoughts  :?:

Well, I use a GPS quite a lot and compared the two often. The speedo seems to be remarkably accurate. Especially with new tyres.

My top speed so far was 120mph, recorded on my GPS. The bike didn't want to go much faster and was beginning to shake about quite a bit. I had a LARGE pack on the rear seat & rack and it was quite a windy day. Oh! And by the way. It was perfectly legal on a German Autobahn. Aren't the Germans wonderful?

WildeKurt

My GPS reads just a two or three MPH less than indicated on the speedo.  Very good compared to the 7% error on my beemer.

Kurt